wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    it's more rugged; a zipper can fail, but the bottom entry has no 'moving parts'. even w/ a hh zipper mod i would keep my bottom entry intact.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Although I'm having the zipper mod being done, I did find that the bottom entry is easier to getting up and out. I can just shove my legs through and then sit there for a minute until I'm actually coherent and then stand up. I was always struggling to get out of the side entry only - especially if I got a leg cramp. But I miss the option of just opening the side zipper to adjust the UQ or grab something. In the warmer weather I'll use the bottom almost exclusively since I use a poncho liner as a quilt but in the cold I still use a sleeping bag (but boy do you warm up trying to get into a sleeping bag while inside the hammock!).

Zip mod = best of both worlds!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Hennessey has hammocks without bugnets on sale. (October Sale) I got a Safari for $49. That is the one that I will use with an UQ. Have one with a net for hot, bug infested summer nights in the south. May still eventually get the Zip mod.

Hammock
    HH Explorer A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Stock+descender
    Personally I love the bottom entry - I had purchased an Eno DN years ago and threw myself out of it trying to get in, then had problems trying to get out, I had a really bad bike accident and it took years to get my strength back in my left arm. The bottom entry is like a dream come true - no dirt in my hammock, easy to enter/exit, love hanging my footwear on a tether just outside my hammock and being able to sit comfortably and put them on. I wouldn't trade, and as far as the bug net goes you can use the "lounger" mode and be comfortable with no cover.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Bottom entry is fine.

I agree with most of the folks here - I like the bottom entry, it's simple and keeps the bugs out. One thing that I haven't seen much about, but I have found that it's a little harder to keep clean, since you can't turn it over and just dump it out (fine dust, etc...). That being said, I have no problems adjusting the PLUQ and I really like the stability/reliability of the system.

My son also has a HH Scout, and since he's still short the bottom entry seems to me to be the only way that he would be able to get gracefully into his hammock, especially if we're hanging over scrub, brush, etc...

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey all,

Just throwing my two cents in...

Here's the scenario: Early spring canoe trip, temperatures just below freezing, howling winds, bottom entry HH, shock-cords of full-length down underquilt synch'd tight to eliminate any air spaces. Now add several cups of tea, some time and waking to an extreme bladder evacuation emergency. Imagine, if you will, the ensuing panic as the trapped hanger struggles desperately, frantically clawing, swearing and praying to get past that underquilt to sweet, sweet relief.

First thing I did when I got home after that trip was install a DIY Mod4 (full-length both sides/double zipper one side) on my HH Expedition, leaving the bottom entry intact.

I now use the zippers exclusively. I left the bottom entry as an option, but never use it. I really like the ability to unzip and reach out to access gear, water or whatever. I like the ability to lay out my sleeping gear before getting into the hammock. I also find packing more efficient, as I use my unzipped hammock as a gear sling. If the bugs are really bad, I can always opt for the bottom entry, but so far, I haven't had to.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Explorer A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Stock+descender
    But there's always the pee bottle option....well as long as your an outtie!

I've just added a short (~2ft) #3 zipper to my HH, just downstream from my left elbow, so I can reach out and adjust/grab/be given things. Took 45mins to do. My main issue is bugs (NZ sand-flies), so prefer the bottom entry. My home-designed tapered UQ hangs just to one side of the bottom entry, so doesn't pose any issues with egress from hammock
    AA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Hey all,

Just throwing my two cents in...

Here's the scenario: Early spring canoe trip, temperatures just below freezing, howling winds, bottom entry HH, shock-cords of full-length down underquilt synch'd tight to eliminate any air spaces. Now add several cups of tea, some time and waking to an extreme bladder evacuation emergency. Imagine, if you will, the ensuing panic as the trapped hanger struggles desperately, frantically clawing, swearing and praying to get past that underquilt to sweet, sweet relief.

First thing I did when I got home after that trip was install a DIY Mod4 (full-length both sides/double zipper one side) on my HH Expedition, leaving the bottom entry intact.

I now use the zippers exclusively. I left the bottom entry as an option, but never use it. I really like the ability to unzip and reach out to access gear, water or whatever. I like the ability to lay out my sleeping gear before getting into the hammock. I also find packing more efficient, as I use my unzipped hammock as a gear sling. If the bugs are really bad, I can always opt for the bottom entry, but so far, I haven't had to.

Funny, that's how I feel about zippers. I just stick a foot through the hole and things move! ;-)
    Last edited by nothermark; 10-30-2011 at 11:25. Reason: spelling error

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly 70D
    Insulation
    open2suggestions
    Suspension
    Caribiner, Rings
    No one has mentioned putting a bottom entry mod on there side zip!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast