Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post
    Ok, who's got the link to the CC buckles? (where to buy? How much the weigh?...)
    They are talked about in a number of different threads here, but here's the only place I know to get them. I don't know the exact weight, but it isn't much.

Just Jeff has a page about them here, but I used a different method to attach mine.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Sparrow,

How does that buckle affect the fabric of the webbing? I dont see that it has "teeth" that would tear the webbing, is that the case?

Any slipping on that style buckle? Do you still knot it after hanging just in case?
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    How does that buckle affect the fabric of the webbing? I dont see that it has "teeth" that would tear the webbing, is that the case?
    It doesn't really affect it at all because there are no 'teeth' on the buckle. The webbing simply gets compressed between the outer rim of the buckle and the inner sliding cinch.

Any slipping on that style buckle? Do you still knot it after hanging just in case?
    I have experienced NO slipping once i tighten the buckle, and have found no need to tie a backup knot. The tighter you pull on the buckle, the tighter it grips the webbing.

I think it is worth saying that I've only been using these buckles for a couple of weeks myself, but I have confidence in their simplistic design. I first heard about them from Just Jeff's page, and I basically copied my method of attachment from BlackBishop351's gallery pics. Maybe someone who has been using them longer can weigh in about any 'long term' observations of their use.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 06-18-2007 at 09:01. Reason: Added Last Paragraph
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I was thinking and I actually asked a similar question in another thread and no one answered me. But what I was thinking, could you actually reverse the ring system? Attach the rings to the tree hugger by sewing them in the loop together then attaching webbing to the hammock? Ring Buckle Support system reversed?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    I was thinking and I actually asked a similar question in another thread and no one answered me. But what I was thinking, could you actually reverse the ring system? Attach the rings to the tree hugger by sewing them in the loop together then attaching webbing to the hammock? Ring Buckle Support system reversed?
    I'm sure that would work fine. That way if the ring buckles fail you could go with a 4 wrap knot.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    seems like you might run into limitations because of the different tree sizes you would come on.
    you would have to have a long tree hugger w/ rings for larger trees. but on a small tree i guess you would just wrap the extra webbing around the tree as many times as needed to use up the extra.
    seems like you might end up carrying more webbing that way & spend more time wrapping the extra webbing on small trees.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - you'd lose a lot of adustability for tree size and distance. The way mine are, if something messes up with the rings I just put the webbing's loop in a larkshead around the hammock and use standard webbing in a 4-wrap.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    All the piece parts are in for my ring buckle setup now. I am gong to tie the stock rope (spectra?) from my HH Scout to the rings. I played a bit with knots last night, and I'll have to practice up before I trust my weight to anything I tie. So, I've seen here folks use various knots to tie to the rings. Any specific suggestions, especially of the DON"T DO THIS type?

I have 15' of webbing with a loop sewn on the end from Ed Speer, and the Camp Nano biners, and the SMC descending rings. Biner is in the loop of the webbing already. Just working on the ring side now.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    All the piece parts are in for my ring buckle setup now. I am gong to tie the stock rope (spectra?) from my HH Scout to the rings. I played a bit with knots last night, and I'll have to practice up before I trust my weight to anything I tie. So, I've seen here folks use various knots to tie to the rings. Any specific suggestions, especially of the DON"T DO THIS type?

I have 15' of webbing with a loop sewn on the end from Ed Speer, and the Camp Nano biners, and the SMC descending rings. Biner is in the loop of the webbing already. Just working on the ring side now.
    I wrapped my spectra 3 times around the rings and tied a bowline. I have this on 3 of my hammocks and it has never failed. O.k it failed once when I failed to tie a knot at the rings. The anchor hitch seems to be a pretty popular knot for the rings. I used a larkshead on Peanut's set-up and it works like a charm.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I wrapped my spectra 3 times around the rings and tied a bowline.
    Back in my caving days, that was called an ascender knot, used like a prusik knot in ascending rigs, but easier to loosen with each step up the climbing rope. I just tied one from memory (and your directions) and it worked like a champ with my test cord. I'll use that with the spectra on the hammock and see how it looks. Thanks.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 48 of 96 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast