Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Sure have! I like the design, but want that nice coozy feeling that down seems to provide. I would think that a synthetic quilt like that would be pretty bulky in a pack.

I will probably wind-up making one when I'm done with my thru attempt.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    FF- My apologies; I was looking at the comparison chart. When I look at the actual RMS page, I see the sale price of: $309.95. I think that may have made my decision for me.
    Cannibal,

We missed you this weekend at the Florida Gathering, I hope all is well with you and yours. More on topic, I received my RM quilt two days ago. It is a beautiful piece of workmanship. I am using it as the core of my winter insulation. I ordered the hood and sleeves also. These coupled with a down vest and a packa rain jacket should be adaptable enough to get me through just about anything I'm likely to encounter with out having to carry a parka.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I was there at the gates at 9:30 staring at a giant padlock! No phone signal and no way of getting around the gate....I looked! Really wish I could have been there for the weekend, especially given the reason for my absence.

Good to know about the RM; unless somebody gives me a good reason not to get it, I'll be making my order next Thursday morning.

Hope your feet are getting better!

Images
    Once you get into the price range of any of these quilts it doesn't make sense to me to get less than the very best. The bitterness of poor quality lingers far longer than the sweetness of a cheap price. The thought of having saved a couple of $20 bills provides little warmth when you're shivering and shaking and freezing to death. I have a Rocky Mt. Sniveller (long) underneath and pile a Katahdin in on top. I have never experienced such luxury. Those people that say a large quilt just makes for a greater air space to heat don't realize that the part that may be "extra" is tucked in around you (like putty around a window pane), and if it weren't there, the great (cold) outdoors would be. The larger quilt allows you to flop around freely without opening the windows and also allows for sleeping in a "figure 4". I love the combination, and if I find somehow that I have exercised overkill, then I'll put these exceptionally high quality quilts to some other use. JRB rocks. Five stars.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DougTheElder View Post
    Once you get into the price range of any of these quilts it doesn't make sense to me to get less than the very best. The bitterness of poor quality lingers far longer than the sweetness of a cheap price. The thought of having saved a couple of $20 bills provides little warmth when you're shivering and shaking and freezing to death. I have a Rocky Mt. Sniveller (long) underneath and pile a Katahdin in on top. I have never experienced such luxury. Those people that say a large quilt just makes for a greater air space to heat don't realize that the part that may be "extra" is tucked in around you (like putty around a window pane), and if it weren't there, the great (cold) outdoors would be. The larger quilt allows you to flop around freely without opening the windows and also allows for sleeping in a "figure 4". I love the combination, and if I find somehow that I have exercised overkill, then I'll put these exceptionally high quality quilts to some other use. JRB rocks. Five stars.
    Well said. Welcome to the site.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd say it depends on when you normally hike. If most of your hiking is 3 season, get the NS for spring/fall and use the summer quilt in summer. Then in winter, use them both. Put the thinner quilt on top b/c that'll catch your body moisture, leaving the NS dry, and the thinner one will dry faster.

Save money, more versatile...and only a weight penalty during winter. Of course, if you do a lot of winter hiking that might be enough to send you to a thicker quilt.

Just a thought.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Sure have! I like the design, but want that nice coozy feeling that down seems to provide. I would think that a synthetic quilt like that would be pretty bulky in a pack.

I will probably wind-up making one when I'm done with my thru attempt.
    It is pretty bulky, an alpine Jardine quilt and a KAQ fills up over half of my GG vapor trail. That is a warm quilt though, and you can't beat the price. If I were going somewhere where wet insulation ment possible hypothermia and death that quilt would go with me.

The ULTIMATE hammock sleeping gear that also does double duty as a sleeping bag, 'cause that is what it is.

http://www.featheredfriends.com/Prod...me=Rock%20Wren

Rock Wren not warm enough (it is a lot warmer than it's 35 F rating), then try this, and maybe order it with a couple of ounces of overstuff:

http://www.featheredfriends.com/Prod...=Winter%20Wren

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i just talked to feathered friends on the phone.
    i know someone here mentioned having a full length zipper put in but i didn't remember the details.
    the lady said it was an additional $90.00 added to which ever length or fabric you choose.
    i'm not sure how good of an addition that would be but i was just curious as to the cost.
    it would give it more versatility when it wasn't as cold.

she also said they had rentals (winter wren, etc).
    i think it was $20 for one day
    $25 for two days
    $50 for a week
    $200 for a month
    that time doesn't include shipping time.
    and if you decide to buy, your rental is applied to the cost.
    just in case any one's interested<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast