WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the info, TeeDee. I'll try making an IX UQ for my blackbird along your guidelines and see how it goes. I know you made a bridge-specific UQ, but any other suggestions from your experiences which would apply to a gathered-end hammock? Sounds like I should try to get the inner lining designed to fit snugly, then build the outer layers around that?
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    For a real good fit on a gathered end hammock, I'm thinking of making an insulated hammock sock with the top removed, kinda like a HH SS UC.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, &amp; JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks TeeDee.
    I apprecate you posting your ideas and feedback. Another IX TQ is on my list of projects to do. The IX TQ that I have now works fine but, do beleive the differential setup that you made, will work better on it's own and deffinately work extreamly well when used with another TQ to extend them to a lower temp rating.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Thanks for the info, TeeDee. I'll try making an IX UQ for my blackbird along your guidelines and see how it goes. I know you made a bridge-specific UQ, but any other suggestions from your experiences which would apply to a gathered-end hammock? Sounds like I should try to get the inner lining designed to fit snugly, then build the outer layers around that?
    After making stuff for a Hennessy ULBA a few years back before moving exclusively to my Bridges, I think that fitting under quilts, under covers, top covers, socks, etc to gathered end hammocks is orders of magnitude more difficult than a Bridge.

That is a long winded way of saying that I have no insight into fitting stuff to a gathered end hammock.

I can only say I know it can be done and done well since Hennessy succeeded very well with his SuperShelter.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Fitting full-length underquilts to a gathered end hammock is difficult, but fitting a 1/2 or 2/3 underquilt is pretty easy if you do a differential. The problem with a full-length one is fitting it to both the curve of the back and under the legs at the same time w/o compressing anything.

I imagine that problem is still there with bridges, but MUCH less pronounced.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Fitting full-length underquilts to a gathered end hammock is difficult, but fitting a 1/2 or 2/3 underquilt is pretty easy if you do a differential. The problem with a full-length one is fitting it to both the curve of the back and under the legs at the same time w/o compressing anything.

I imagine that problem is still there with bridges, but MUCH less pronounced.
    MUCH less.

Fitting to a gathered end hammock is a compound surface, i.e., a surface that curves in more than 1 direction. For the gathered end hammock, you have the bottom surface curves from side to side and also from end to end. You have to fit the under quilt to fit both curves at the same time. Not an easy task.

The Bridge is much easier to fit since the end to end curve is drastically reduced compared to the gathered end. So much so, that it can be virtually ignored. Not entirely, but mostly.

What really makes a Bridge much easier to fit, is that it is possible to make an exact duplicate of the Bridge and use that as the top shell of the under quilt. Hang that from the four corners of the Bridge and it is a "second skin" for the Bridge. Fitting is done. 2 exact Bridges, the second as the under quilt top shell.

This "second skin" approach for the top shell of the under quilt has another decided advantage in that air leaks and air pockets are totally eliminated. They are simply not possible when the "second skin" is made properly.

This also makes flexible pads such as the GG ThinLight pads on top of the "second skin" and under the Bridge work very well. The pad is essentially "molded" to the occupant.

This, of course, assumes that you make your Bridges from a pattern and so can cut both from the same pattern.

If it was possible to do so with a gathered end hammock and arrange to hang it as a "second skin", then the same could be done with the gathered end hammock. I think making the exact duplicate would be easy, but hanging it under the gathered end would be problematic. That is why Warbonnet's double layer hammocks work so well.

The second thing that makes a Bridge so much easier to fit is that once you have the top shell fitted as above, you can reduce it to a 2 dimensional problem, i.e., reduce the computations for the outer shell fabric to computing the fit from side to side. If you have used a computed arc such as a parabola, then you can do all of the calculations easily before ever cutting fabric. Hang the outer shell from the top shell "second skin" fabric and it is very easy to compute and fabricate the outer shell to eliminate any compression of the insulation.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks. I may use my HH SS as a model for this and see what I come up with. Making a mock-up or two out of cheap fabric until I get it right may be the best approach.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    What really makes a Bridge much easier to fit, is that it is possible to make an exact duplicate of the Bridge and use that as the top shell of the under quilt. Hang that from the four corners of the Bridge and it is a "second skin" for the Bridge. Fitting is done. 2 exact Bridges, the second as the under quilt top shell.
    Very good points, TeeDee...especially this one.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle/ WBBB
    Tarp
    3x4 rain fly
    Insulation
    Segmented pad/bag
    Suspension
    whoopi slings
    Images
    Hey TeeDee, so I get the idea that you don't want the IX snugged up against you be cause that would make a cold spot. But in the UQ application, how far away do you want it to hang? From your instructions, I'm picturing that you would have maybe 3 or 4 inches of air under your butt and shoulders. (Not that I'm picturing your butt) How much space would be too much?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    Hey TeeDee, so I get the idea that you don't want the IX snugged up against you be cause that would make a cold spot. But in the UQ application, how far away do you want it to hang? From your instructions, I'm picturing that you would have maybe 3 or 4 inches of air under your butt and shoulders. (Not that I'm picturing your butt) How much space would be too much?
    In my original experiments I was trying for 1/8" to 1/4" air gap under the butt. Never could get that reliably. So I just opted to do the simple thing and use the full 60" width for the end width for the under quilt. With 9" deep arcs that leaves 42" center width for the Insultex and bottom shell material. This is for a 44" end width Bridge with 6" deep arcs.

The amount of air under the butt? about 1/2" to 3/4".

If I had the money to buy lots and lots and lots of Insultex from Mac and more 1.1 ripstop and lots of time, I would experiment with varying the Insultex end width from 50" to 60" in 1" increments and see how much less than that 1/2" to 3/4" air gap is optimal, but it's working now, so I'm off to other projects.

Making more Insultex top quilts and under quilts for family - I can now make a top quilt in 1 day with maybe only 1 or 2 obvious sewing blunders and minimal swearing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast