Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images

Cooking under a tarp

I just got my camo jetboil this week. I was sold on them when Slowhike kept wandering around camp at the hang-out with a cup of coffee in the mornings before we ever left for breakfast. In the interest of me not mugging him next hang-out for that first cup of coffee, I jumped on the jetboil offer posted here.

Now I'm wondering about details of actually cooking while hanging. Mainly, when cooking under a tarp, do you ALWAYS set the stove out from under the actual tarp to keep the heat from damaging the tarp, or is there enough airflow under a tarp to go ahead and cook under it's shelter? I do know that I'd not want the tarp close to the stove.

While at REI I got the pot stand accessory for the jetboil. It includes a stabilizer bottom stand as well as the ring that you slip on the burner to support regular pots. I like not being limited to just using the mug. It all stores in the mug with the fuel canister and stove. Pretty cool. I like simple engineering solutions that work well.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I cook under my tarp all the time. You do wanna make sure your stove is not right next to the tarp and you should be okay. I normally do it one of 2 ways: I have cooked while lying in my hammock with the stove sitting on the ground. You just lean over the edge and tend to your pot. Just be careful.

I will also use the side tie out lines to tie my hammock body to the ridge line, basically pulling the hammock up and out of the way. I will then just sit directly under the hammock on a sit pad and cook. This is the best way to do it if it is raining out.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can pick up the JB while it's cooking...no risk of heat damage unless you lean it over, causing some flame to spill out of the side. So the only heat damage you risk to your tarp, using the mug and keeping it on the ground, is some steam coming out of the lid. I usually set it on the ground and cook from my hammock, whether or not I'm using a tarp.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Three rules of thumb for me
    1. If there are any junior Boy Scouts around on the outing I try to imagine the worst thing that would happen by them imitating me. This generally rules out using flames anywhere near flamable material.

2. If condition 1 does not apply, is there adequate air supply? I've had to hunker down in in storms under a tightly staked out tent's rain fly (tent body and floor pushed to the back)...not an issue in a tarp.

3. If condition 1 does not apply and there is air, what's the worst thing that could happen if me or one of my companion's knocked the stove over? If we're still well clear of flamable material, then I figure it's safe enough.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    just for the record, i was using a snow peak canister stove at hot springs<g>.
    but your questions still fit the bill. i love reaching down from my hammock & starting my first cup of mocha!
    i believe it was in Apocalypse Now that robert duvall said "i love the smell of hot mocha in the morning"
    like the others said, as long as there's a little distance between the stove & tarp, there should be no problem.
    hold your hand above the stove as the water reaches boiling. you'll probably feel very little heat at about 3' or so... especially if there's any breeze at all.
    if there's no breeze, my tarps going to be higher any way.

shadowmoss, when you talk about cooking, i'm guessing you already know that the jet boil has limitations on anything other than a full boil. at least that's been my understanding. some of the others can no doubt tell you more about that.
    just didn't want you to get out on the trail w/ a meal that requires more delicate heat control than the jet boil can provide.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    JetBoil has a fully adjustable flame...you can simmer in it. It does boil over easily at full blast, though. And of course you're limited by the shape of the pot unless you get the frying pan setup. I just have the normal pot, but I doubt I'd cook from my hammock with the frying pan setup...more risk of tipping or grease splatter. Maybe if I didn't have the tarp up. But when I cook in the hammock under my tarp it's usually FBC-type cooking.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    .3. If condition 1 does not apply and there is air, what's the worst thing that could happen if me or one of my companion's knocked the stove over? If we're still well clear of flamable material, then I figure it's safe enough.

Grizz
    yep, if there ever was a stove flare up for any reason, my 1st thought would be to immediately, quickly, & calmly stand up, pushing the tarp up & away from the flame, even at the cost of loosing a stake, breaking a guy line or even ripping part of the tarp. also keeping the hammock pushed back away from the flame until it settled back down, BUT ONLY if the flame was reaching to close to the tarp or hammock.
    if there wasn't time for that & the tarp were to catch on fire, i would salvage what i could safely, from the rest of my gear. but don't let the burning silnylon make contact w/ your skin.
    all that said, w/ common sense & thoughtfulness, i believe it's pretty safe using your stove under the tarp. ...tim

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images

What, ME cook???

I did get the cook pot stand accessory that also includes a stabilizing bottom stand with it. I like the idea of being able to use something besides the mug if I want to. HOWEVER, I don't do a lot of cooking. Mostly boiling water is what I'll be doing on any trail I'm on, or even just car camping like the hang-outs.

Slowhike, you have NO idea how you were taking your life into your hands walking around with coffee when I had no easy way to make myself some. I am a true IT teckie, kinda a cross between Wally and Alice (Dilbert). Wally's addiction to coffee, with Alice's attitude.

I'm glad to know that I can probably safely cook under the tarp by observing basic safety considerations. I will be walking around with my own cup of coffee early mornings now.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    HOWEVER, I don't do a lot of cooking. Mostly boiling water is what I'll be doing on any trail I'm on, or even just car camping like the hang-outs.
    Boiling water is all you need with FBC. Some people don't like it, but I've had some mighty tasty trail dinners out of a freezer bag. And I can sympathize with your morning coffee craving. I have a similar morning requirement, but mine is hot tea instead.

And, to echo the above statements, many of the trail meals I've had have been cooked safely under a tarp.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Boiling water is all you need with FBC. Some people don't like it, but I've had some mighty tasty trail dinners out of a freezer bag. ..
    yep, for several years now, about all i've heated on a stove is water .
    and shadowmoss, i don't know who those people are you were talking about, but had i known my life was in danger, i would have gladly gave up a cup of coffee or mocha

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast