Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post

99% chance that I can not go. Sudden $$$ problems so money set aside for the hangout is going to my family.

You guys have a GREAT time & roast a pony for me.

I'll be there in spirit, & will still be trying to get there till Friday PM.
    Dang Doc, we sure didn't want to hear that. Neither did you of course.
    I sure hope something changes for the better so you can still make it.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker Zip
    Tarp
    stock hennessy
    Insulation
    HH super shelter
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm a no go. 6 hr drive is a bit much. I'm in northern virginia and would love to see all the gear and sounds like a lot of fun. If anyone is heading down 81 and wants some company let me know and I could maybe rationalize taking off work. Are there ever any hangs up in MD/Northern VA/PA? On a side note, I did stay out in my hh for the first time in preparation for a possible trip down. We had a little snow and my two cc foam pads in the hammock kept me warm with my 20 degree cats meow bag (yeah, my wife thinks I'm crazy now). After messing with the pads I am on the lookout for an UQ to make life easier.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Sorry you can't make it Kman. Sounds like you've got your stuff together.
    You asked about other hangs. Here is the "Planning Thread" for the MAHHA (Mid Atlantic Hammock Hangers Association) that took place this past fall.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ighlight=MAHHA
    They have it twice a year (Spring & Fall) & it's been happening for several years while now.
    If you go to the last page of the thread that I linked, you'll find a link to the "Report Thread
    I'm sure it wont be to long until they start planning the next one for spring.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Well, I'm back on. Bonsai Hiker has graciously offered to shuttle Firewalker & I down & back & others offered financial assistance that I am grateful for but felt comfortable in declining the generous offers (Thanks again you 2!!) as It's not quite that bad.

Won't get to "Play" with the new to me 4WD in the snow, but that hasn't actually been an issue in years past, so,,,,,,

As to the roasted pony, I'm still bringing the 5 gallons of BBQ sauce*. Anyone got a spit?

*Just kidding,,,,, or am I
    Last edited by Doctari; 01-15-2011 at 16:00.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Well, I'm back on. Bonsai Hiker has graciously offered to shuttle Firewalker & I down & back & others offered financial assistance that I am grateful for but felt comfortable in declining the generous offers (Thanks again you 2!!) as It's not quite that bad.

Won't get to "Play" with the new to me 4WD in the snow, but that hasn't actually been an issue in years past, so,,,,,,

As to the roasted pony, I'm still bringing the 5 gallons of BBQ sauce*. Anyone got a spit?

*Just kidding,,,,, or am I

Great News Doctari... be good to see you again.

6 day to MRWM....HooHah!

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I've got a number of work projects that have me tied up, but with it being at the campground and no hike required to get in and set up, I'm planning on getting up there Saturday to at least see everyone and check out the raffle. Now I just need to see what to bring for the potluck.

Grayson Weather

Hey guys - just an update from your friendly neighborhood park office. We currently have anywhere between 1-2 feet of snow on the ground with drifts up to 4 feet.

Intellicast and NOAA are both predicting more snow and freezing rain this week. They are showing highs of between 23 and 35 on Friday. NOAA is the lower one and I pulled the forecast box to the general vicinity of the campground. Intellicast is predicting a 50-60% chance of snow for the weekend. The campground is pretty high up and is subject to some strong winds, so please be prepared.

We will do our best to keep up with the snow on the road. Please be aware though - the 12 or so inches we got earlier this week has cut back on the parking at the group site. We just don't have a lot of places to put the snow. You may need to consider parking some of the vehicles out at the Massey Gap parking. If you have 4-wheel drive with high clearance, you can brave the Overnight Backpackers lot, otherwise I would recommend 2-wheel drive, all-wheel drive and low clearance (basically lower than a pickup) use the parking along the main road. I'll work with maintenance this week to see if we can get you more spaces opened up.

The camping fees have been paid for Friday and Saturday night for up to 40 people. If you are coming on Thursday, staying Sunday night or there will be more than 40 people on Friday or Saturday, we will need to work out payment for the extra nights or people with you. Since the 6 people per site was mentioned earlier, the easiest way I know to determine how many sites you need to pay for is to do a headcount the next morning.

I'll post more weather updates as we get closer. I'm out of the office on Thursday, but I'll try to have something up on Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

Marceia

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thanks for the update Marceia. It's great to have the rangers involved & doing so much to help out.

I have a question for you Marceia. I am wondering about the possibility of adding tarp walls to two sides of the Amphitheater to serve as a wind break.
    If we were allowed to do so, they would be secured to the Amphitheater roof by rope, so there would be no damage to the structure.

Thanks again for your help. ...Tim

PS... Doc & Bonsihiker, are you ready to hike in that much snow

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Good to hear Doctari! I never took you off the list, hoping something would change for you

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Marceia: Thanks for all your help, the weather update is very helpful!!

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post

PS... Doc & Bonsihiker, are you ready to hike in that much snow
    Don't know, may bring the CC skis 'In case"

I've never seen that much snow in person, so we can wait & see when we get there. That hike isn't in stone, AND we are hammockers, so we are flexible.
    May change it to a hike to near the Wise or forget it all together if it's too bad. I do wish I had gotten those snow shoes a few years ago, but I never thought I'd need em.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast