Tablecloth DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ- 32F
    Suspension
    m'spike hitch, web

Perforating CCF pads

No more lurking, I was wondering if anyone has cut multiple perforations in a ccf pad? If you laminated a space blanket and then perforated, you may be able to ease the condensation issue, gain a little warmth and lose a little weight. Holes smaller than about 4 mm should not have much convective movement and therefore act as insulation. One trick would be finding the balance of hole density and size so that compression is not increased while raising breathability.
    --he who knows the great enthusiasms.
    -T. Roosevelt

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

perforated ccf

Good question.

I went to WM to get a mylar SB to glue to a 1/8" sheet of CCF, but they were out. Using spray contact cement, I am going to attach the SB to the foam, and cut it to size, then punch holes in the glued sheet with a piece of 1/2" thin-wall conduite ground down around the end to be sharp enough to cut thru the foam when hit with a hammer on a wood block. Maybe on a 6" grid layout?

Will let you know.

I have used a mummy shaped pad of mylar SB quilted between two pieces of insultex which is very warm, light weight, and packs very small. Impressive performance, never any condensation.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Tablecloth DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ- 32F
    Suspension
    m'spike hitch, web

Perforated CCF

Brooks Range uses about a 4" grid inside of their inflatable pad's open cell foam. After reading my heat transfer books ( haven't done the math yet), I get the impression that 1/4" holes would be better on a closer grid, like 2-3".

Ideally, you would want to cut the holes on an incline to minimize natural convection effects inside of the hole. But, since the cold is on the bottom and the warm is on top, free convection is minimal and the heat transfer is all conductive. So, just cut the holes straight.
    Beware, if the pad is polyethylene foam, the contact cement won't stick and will make a mess. EVA is OK.
    --he who knows the great enthusiasms.
    -T. Roosevelt

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    A few years ago I took a walmart ccf pad and cut 3/8 in holes in it, spaced about 10 inches apart. It seemed to help a good bit with condensation.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    eno double nest, 12'r, 90x132"r
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12 :D
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    i found a mystery walmart fleece backed perforated reflective mylar material. i mad a uq out of it. and it has been woman tested down to 49* single layer. with a fleece and cotton shell
    Quote Originally Posted by metalhanger View Post
    No more lurking, I was wondering if anyone has cut multiple perforations in a ccf pad? If you laminated a space blanket and then perforated, you may be able to ease the condensation issue, gain a little warmth and lose a little weight. Holes smaller than about 4 mm should not have much convective movement and therefore act as insulation. One trick would be finding the balance of hole density and size so that compression is not increased while raising breathability.
    Glory to the Fallen, Honor to the Lost. Faith to the Missing. Carry on Forever.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    A few years ago I took a walmart ccf pad and cut 3/8 in holes in it, spaced about 10 inches apart. It seemed to help a good bit with condensation.
    How much colder do you think the pad was after you cut the holes in it?

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

perforated

Quote Originally Posted by metalhanger View Post
    Beware, if the pad is polyethylene foam, the contact cement won't stick and will make a mess. EVA is OK.
    Ah, yes, now that you mention it, I think I remember trying it once. And, super glue does not stick either.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    A lot of glues will break down (melt) the eva foam. In my experience hot glue is the best adhesive for it.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    How much colder do you think the pad was after you cut the holes in it?
    I didnt notice any difference in the temp rating of the pad-------and as I recall, it isnt so stiff---the holes help it mold to the hammock shape better. (its a really cheap experiment to try out and see if it works for you!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I will and report back, thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast