Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    i'm sorry, scotch(3m) bundling wrap, not binding wrap. found it at joannes, it is a velcro like stuff, but way lighter. it's double sided, one side is the hooks, but they are infinately small compared to velcro, and the loop side is just a thin microfiber. looks like the thickness is right @ 1/16". for the same width, it's probably 1/3 as light as omni tape. it's far superior as far as i can tell, although i haven't used either alot.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    I sincerely doubt that the "one wrap tapes" are lighter than omni tape... Since they have both the hook side and the fuzzy side on the runninig tape carrier....Further to apply it to two surfaces that need attachment it would require two lengths, thus more weight than a corresponding two lengths of the lighter Omni Tape which is a tape carrier and only the "peened hooks" on one side so that the blank side is readily stitched to the surface to be attached.

Pan
    apparently i cannot tell the difference between a lighter object and a heavier one? i do have a scale, i'll weigh some now.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i'm sorry, scotch(3m) bundling wrap, not binding wrap. found it at joannes, it is a velcro like stuff, but way lighter. it's double sided, one side is the hooks, but they are infinately small compared to velcro, and the loop side is just a thin microfiber. looks like the thickness is right @ 1/16". for the same width, it's probably 1/3 as light as omni tape. it's far superior as far as i can tell, although i haven't used either alot.
    WBG, et al,

Check the widths for parallel comparision.... also compare the stick.... this stuff is low friction as it is meant for a bundle style wrap, with a lot of wrap length for the diameter of the bundle,( recall Pi D) with little to no outward force on the cables etc bundled....Thus the tiny barbs and micro fiber.

I definately would not count on some of the Scotch (3M) sewn on two surfaces to be attached to have any significant holding strength...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    ok, i weighed 60" of both. the bundling wrap comes 1" wide, so i stuck the velcro to the scotch, and then cut the extra width off the bundling wrap, now both pieces are 60"x ~5/8"

the velcro omni tape weighed 11g, the bundling wrap 5g, just under half as light. but how does it perform.

i figured since nobody else has any yet, i will do a quick little comparison. i used the equal width pieces again. the b. wrap has slightly less peel strength than the omni tape, and alot more shear strength.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    ok, i weighed 60" of both. the bundling wrap comes 1" wide, so i stuck the velcro to the scotch, and then cut the extra width off the bundling wrap, now both pieces are 60"x ~5/8"

the velcro omni tape weighed 11g, the bundling wrap 5g, just under half as light. but how does it perform.

i figured since nobody else has any yet, i will do a quick little comparison. i used the equal width pieces again. the b. wrap has slightly less peel strength than the omni tape, and alot more shear strength.
    WBG,

Peel strength is a significant issue when attempint to connect two seperable surfaces.

While you are doing the comparision.... Does the one wrap stuff have sewing channels on the sides or is the hook side all hook?

Sewing will be hard on thread ... and the durabilty of the stiching will be questionable without sewing channels.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    the peel strength is only slightly less than that of the omni tape, peeling is alot more of deliberate act anyways, once you get it stuck on all the way, you almost have to start at one end just to get the peeling started, or use your fingernails. i'm sure it depends on the application (which applications require a higher peel to sheer ratio, i don't know), it seems like good stuff, and plenty strong and durable, sewing did not seem hard on the thread.

there are no channels, so maybe the hook could damage the stitches of the loop, maybe you could use coated thread or something i don't know, it's definately lighter and sticky enough for a bugnet, as for longtem durability of the stitches, who knows.

i'm not twistin your arm here, don't try it if you don't want to.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    WBG,

Thanks for the comparision discussion.

JRB will stick with Omni Tape.... It is a tried and proven capability with very good adhesion, little to no abrasiveness (compared to regular velcro) and without sewing and/or durabilty issues....Several miles of Omni Tape used in JRB quilts over the last four years with zero warranty issues and numberous customer satisfaction comments speaks well enough for us.

Let us know how the one wrap stuff works for you.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12