Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images

Yellowstone back country trip

I survived and the majority was slept in the hammock majority of it 2 nights when we were at KOA they did not let me use their trees so I had no way of sleeping in a hammock and I was forced to get into a tent I hated it. But when I was in the back country I slept well in a hammock. I had Permetherin 10% I was not bugged by skeeters . But when I was not in a hammock skeeters were bad. In fact I got deet poisoning and was sick for a day while it went through my system. But man I had fun.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    great trip in beautiful country,,pics! Pics! I need a shot of Yellowstone and need to see a couple of pics!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    alright
    here is the album from google plus
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/114126281847992680184/posts

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjahamockman View Post
    I survived and the majority was slept in the hammock majority of it 2 nights when we were at KOA they did not let me use their trees so I had no way of sleeping in a hammock and I was forced to get into a tent I hated it. But when I was in the back country I slept well in a hammock. I had Permetherin 10% I was not bugged by skeeters . But when I was not in a hammock skeeters were bad. In fact I got deet poisoning and was sick for a day while it went through my system. But man I had fun.
    Sounds great! I bet that was a real adventure! Sorry about the KOA, that's a bummer.

10% Permethrin, undiluted? I bet that worked, but you might do just as well using the recommended dilution of 20-1 for 0.5%. Plus treat all your clothes next time, you won't need near as much DEET.

DEET poisoning? Wow, that sounds awful. You might consider swithching to 20% Picaridin. I have never noticed any kind of noxious experience like I do with DEET, and work GREAT for me, ESPECIALLY with Permethrin treated clothes.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    Yeah I used the sawyer permethrin 10% I am thinking of getting some 36.8% permetherin and diluting it to .5% so I barely have to use permetherin. I have a bigger background in chemistry then most kids my age I will have to whip up some Permethrin and treat all my clothing that I use for camping. My next big trip will probably be in the uintas.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjahamockman View Post
    Yeah I used the sawyer permethrin 10% I am thinking of getting some 36.8% permetherin and diluting it to .5% so I barely have to use permetherin. I have a bigger background in chemistry then most kids my age I will have to whip up some Permethrin and treat all my clothing that I use for camping. My next big trip will probably be in the uintas.
    Yeah man I love the Uintas! I have camped at a place called Christmas Meadows and at a lake below ( west of ) Dead Horse Pass. But I was on the ground in those days. Some day I'll get back in a hammock. But hey, by the time you get up to the Uintas, you are not that far from the Wind Rivers in WY. Now there is a place I have used a hammock in! Yeah baby!

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    I live in American Fork, UT so I am just about an hour or hour and half from the uintas I am thinking of training to do the high line trail in about 1 week. I need to get a bit more in shape. Canoeing I can handle but for some strange reason I get really weakened with backpacking. I love wilderness camping all other campsites make me just shake my head in pity for anyone who camps there. I am yearning for the back country even now and I just got back. Man I love the wilderness I love the fact that nature if it wanted to, it could squish you flat. Oh man I miss back country it is how national parks should be ran but alas stupid pepole have to be pandered by campsites with showers, fire pits , no worry for wildlife making life miserable. Now days campsites are like outdoor hotels that is why I hate KOA's, camping trailers and giant tents with a passion. The point of camping is to make it a challenge to survive not to make it an outdoor hotel. I saw the stars at 10 pm in the back country at the KOA I had to wait till 12 because of light pollution. Campsites are spoiled and it is so annoying.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Great report and pictures ninja; a lot of those Yellowstone spots sure do look familiar!

Just a friendly reminder, the saying around here is HYOH. I've met and hung with plenty of other folks who are perfectly content to stay close to amenities offered at established campgrounds, and who are far from stupid. They're usually quite friendly and almost always like-minded: just good folks enjoying our beautiful parks in their own quiet, respectful way. I certainly understand your love of the backcountry and get out there as often as I can myself, but remember that some folks just aren't able or willing to trek deep into the piney woods. I'm sure you meant no harm.

I can also honestly say that I've met more than my fair share of obnoxious jackholes in the backcountry, and am never surprised at the amount of trash I pick up out there. More often than not, it's left behind by some unthinking kids who are out loudly enjoying nature on some big group trip.

And whomever tossed the water bottle into that hot spring should be drawn and quartered and fed to the Mollies.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Geez, I remember KOA from when my grandparents and I went Airstreaming up that way about 40 years ago. Can't imagine staying in one now - the horror!

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Geez, I remember KOA from when my grandparents and I went Airstreaming up that way about 40 years ago. Can't imagine staying in one now - the horror!
    KOA was started and their headquarters are still right here in Billings, MT, about 2 blocks from my house. Not sure if that's a good thing. LOL
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast