Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Ninox Hammock?

Ive been looking at the Ninox "Flat Lay" hammock. Does anybody understand why it would give a flatter lay than a Chameleon or Blackbird etc. ?

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    According to the kickstarter campaign, due to the "waves" cut of the end channel it creates a "pocket" for not the head and feet. This hereby giving a flatter lay. I used a prototype on a 4 day backpacking trip. And yes the lay was flat. But there were opportunities and I'm hoping that Richard and team took my critics to heart and found a way to make them work. As their time-line stands I won't receive my unit until sometime in august.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Interesting. I wonder what the reviews of the final product will be like

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Right now I'm holding my breath. I've got half the review written, just waiting on the final product. I am disappointed that SMr processed with a new kickstarter before fulfilling the Ninox.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I can tell you it is comfy, I have tried it out!

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Yes in a test drive its comfy. But the true test of any hammock is 2 am after a nature call. How quickly can I get back comfy, warm, and asleep.

― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Sounds to me like they are just taking advantage of the "diagonal lie (as in position, not untruth)" we all know about. Seems a Knotty Mod would do the same thing. Not saying the design is bad, just that it seems more "marketing" than design breakthrough. Guess I'd ask, does the Ninox manufacturer put their heart into it the way our cottage vendors do? And at current KickStarter price of $160 for hammock, bug net, suspension, it's not a bargain - just a fair alternative.

Also, because it has happened with every KickStarter product I backed - I wouldn't expect it to be delivered when initially promised.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I don't have my Ninox, yet, but what they try to do with shaping the ends is not similar to what a Knotty mod does. It is rather to counter the curve that forms naturally when you gather a rectangular piece of fabric. It's similar to what the designers of 90° hammocks like Amok or Hammocktent are doing. Only the targeted lay is not perpendicular but diagonal. As far as I know the only other gathered end hammock with a similar design is the Pak-It-Lite hammocks.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HummingbirdPelican
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    SMR
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Also, because it has happened with every KickStarter product I backed - I wouldn't expect it to be delivered when initially promised.
    It's not. Originally scheduled for delivery in late spring. Their regular manufacturer dropped them from their schedule and they were scrambling to find another qualified manufacturer to make the product. Now shipping is scheduled for the end of summer.... I'm backing this one on KS. It's not as late as some other products that I've backed but it's a bummer since I was planning on hiking with it this summer backpacking season.

As far as how attentive they are, Sierra Madre has pretty decent customer service. Some late email or FB message responses but they answer or return calls and Richard Rhett, the founder, seemed authentically apologetic when they had to push the delivery date back a few months. They aren't a huge company although they are having some growing pains from the huge responses to their KS campaigns. They're definitely pushing out more product with these KS campaigns than some of the smaller cottage vendors we see mentioned often here.

As far as the comfort goes, we'll see when they finally get shipped out but most reviews that I've read both here and on YouTube have been really positive. They're not really promoting that the diagonal lie is responsible for the flat lay. It's more the cut of the hammock that give it the flatness. Yes, It's not a bargain but it's competitively priced with similar products and cheaper than products like the Chameleon.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    it's kinda/sorta similar to how guys with whipped ends just tighten/loosen portions of the gathered end

this is more pronounced (I'm assuming) but it's not really a unique concept

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast