Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

Saving $$ on whoopie hook setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
    When hanging your hammock you only need one disconnect point on each side of the hammock. The Whoopie Hook is that disconnect point along with being a built in water break. If you are using huggers (two sewn loops, one on each end) then, as you explained, you can larks head the slings on one loop and then pass the entire whoopie sling through the other loop after you wrap around your tree. These leaves your Whoopie hook to attach to your continuous loop that is, of course, attached to your hammock. If you have tree straps (only one sewn loop) then you will need to tie something (and yes a MSH is a tie). The Titanium Dutch Clips adds a second disconnect point making it more convienent to attach your huggers to your selected trees. You do not need to run your whoopie sling around the and no need to pull the amsteel through the loops, just a quick clip and done.
    Ahh. I didn't get the distinction between Tree Hugger and Tree Strap terminology. The way you (and I) have described it is what I intend to do for now as it utilizes stuff we already have which saves money for other stuff, like backpacks! Thanks!

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

Saving $$ on whoopie hook setup?

Ok the new setup works well but I have discovered the Hugger adds extra length to the suspension which can be undesirable. I fixed this by rotating the Hugger around the tree so the point where the Hugger passes through itself is not hanging straight at the hammock. This solved the extra length problem nicely.

Is there any reason not to do this?

If my question does not make sense let mr know and I will photograph or illustrate what I'm talking about. Thanks!
    Last edited by clean; 04-25-2013 at 22:25.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post
    Ok the new setup works well but I have discovered the Hugger adds extra length to the suspension which can be undesirable. I fixed this by rotating the Hugger around the tree so the point where the Hugger passes through itself is not hanging straight at the hammock. This solved the extra length problem nicely.

Is there any reason not to do this?

If my question does not make sense let mr know and I will photograph or illustrate what I'm talking about. Thanks!
    I can't think of any major problem with that... It will put your hammock off center of the tree, and sets you up for a possible (but extremely unlikely when loaded) slip depending on which way you do it (you'd want rotate towards the looped end, not the other way I'd think.) I don't think either of those are deal breakers though. You could also tie a knot (like a MSH or a water knot if you need a loop) a little further up the strap when necessary. That's what I like about the MSH/toggle set up; it allows me to make adjustments at the strap as well as the whoopie sling.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12