DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    So far so good, Julies grandmother is still with us and for the most part she is stable. So it looks like I will be fine for the trip.

Otter Bubba and I have planned to come up together in one car and incase this hasnt been resolved I would prefer that the shuttle of people is done on the first day rather then the day out. That said I'm easy, so if others want to do it on the day out or that has already been decided (I dont want to go back and reread the whole thread to find out) then I will defer to the group.

Our plan is to meet the rest of the group at the launch at 8:30am on friday. Chard I will pm you my cell number so we can keep in contact if necessary.

really looking forward to all the fall colours.

Ryvr
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just returned from Ragged Lake. The colours have really come out the last few days. I'd estimate the leaves are at 40% turned now. You guys will hit it just right I'd say!
    Be sure to take a 2 minute detour for lunch, and stop on the huge beach on the east shore of Ragged. The view is fantastic right now. And I heard wolves howling while having lunch.

Caught a nice lake trout on Smoke and a few nice bass on Ragged. No pictures, but yes it did happen.

The wind was wicked on Monday, followed by a night of rain. Helped pull a couple guys out of the water on Smoke (I knocked on the cottage to get them out with their motor boat). Be careful out there.

Sunrise on Ragged Lake.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryvr View Post
    So far so good, Julies grandmother is still with us and for the most part she is stable. So it looks like I will be fine for the trip.

Otter Bubba and I have planned to come up together in one car and incase this hasnt been resolved I would prefer that the shuttle of people is done on the first day rather then the day out. That said I'm easy, so if others want to do it on the day out or that has already been decided (I dont want to go back and reread the whole thread to find out) then I will defer to the group.

Our plan is to meet the rest of the group at the launch at 8:30am on friday. Chard I will pm you my cell number so we can keep in contact if necessary.

really looking forward to all the fall colours.

Ryvr
    Hey Ryvr, that's great news on all counts..Julie's Grandmother and you're being able to come along...

Shuttle: Nothing resolved, but I agree that we try to have all the vehicles, except one, parked at Cache lake. We'll have to see what the rangers say about that, but it would be nice to get a clean, uncomplicated getaway on Sunday.

Incidentially, on the Friday morning we'll need to register. Whether we do it as group or individually as we arrive, I don't think matters too much. I'll PM you guys the permit info either way.

Chard..

P.S. Nice pics BCaron!!! Glad you had a safe trip....
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7dbl
    Tarp
    Chinook 14x12
    Insulation
    Shamu IX
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Will there be any change of plans if the weather take a turn for the worst? I'm from Vancouver so I'm used to all my outdoor excursions being in the rain anyway, but I don't know if long paddles and portages in a downpour are generally tolerable.

Other than that I'm very excited. This will be my first time in Algonquin and on a canoe trip.

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Will there be any change of plans if the weather take a turn for the worst? I'm from Vancouver so I'm used to all my outdoor excursions being in the rain anyway, but I don't know if long paddles and portages in a downpour are generally tolerable.
    Generally plan for the worst, unless there is lightening or 6 foot sweels on the lakes I cant see much slowing us down.

Ryvr
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Generally plan for the worst, unless there is lightening or 6 foot sweels on the lakes I cant see much slowing us down.

Ryvr
    LOL... I'll second Ryvr's assessment. A day after ice-out this year, my Trout'n buddies and I headed down Smoke and base camped on Bonnechere at the same site I'm hoping we get to stay on.

As we pulled up to the Smoke Lake dock we were buffetted by a gale force wind blowing in from the south. Waves were breaking against the dock and there was a fair bit of spray in the air. The way the waves and the wind were coming in, there was no way we could launch without swamping right away. Ultimately we waited close to an hour for a break in the wind and only managed to launch by finding an "alternate" dock further down along the shore and fighting every inch of the way until we were past the breaking waves. Even then, paddling into a brutal headwind for the length of the lake, over ice-cold water was, shall we say, interesting.

We'll all be watching the weather carefully. If it's shaping up to be a terrible weekend then we'll play it by ear, but a little rain hasn't ever stopped me before. Just gear up for the worst and hope for the best.

A short video from that morning and later that evening. The waves may not appear rough, but trust me, it was nasty.

Chard
    Last edited by Chard; 09-22-2011 at 08:06.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images

Ryvr
    6 footers!
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images

Ryvr
    6 footers!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    6 footers!
    No, no...the trick is dont bury the nose, keep the weight back on your tail and rudder to stay on the transition....wait...Canoe, yep, scared would be the right response
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [o]TTeR View Post
    No, no...the trick is dont bury the nose, keep the weight back on your tail and rudder to stay on the transition....wait...Canoe, yep, scared would be the right response
    That's reassuring.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast