WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Taken from Warbonnets web page on the spinddrift.

Spindrift

The Spindrift is our sock for the Ridgerunner, a "sock" (named after a tubular windsock) is a giant fabric sack that the hammock hangs entirely inside of. They're made of fabric that is both wind and water resistant but is breathable enough so you can keep it zipped up. The entire hammock (including your underquilt) hangs inside the sock, creating an enclosed protected space. Since the space is enclosed, you'll usually notice an increase of 15-20deg or more compared to the outside air temp, this can help alot when the temperature approaches the limit of your top or underquilt. Socks are normally used in colder weather. If conditions contain rain or heavy wet snow you'll want a tarp in addition to the sock as the sock is water-resistant, not waterproof.

DWR finish is water resistant,,not waterproof which is the same for Momentum 90 MR. BlackWolf,,if your going to the artic..what do the artic explorers use,,when they are pitching tents? However,,I am asuming,,your going to try and hammock off the ground in a artic atmosphere,,so your going to be seeking something that is windproof, waterproof, and yet, has to have somewhat breathable ablitities to keep from icing on the inside.??? Just guessing.
    But with a tarp over the Spindrift when enclosed ends, and as close to the ground or snow packed on the sides, breaking wind, and creating yet another micro climate of sorts, hence micro climate inside a micro climate with the hammock in the middle. Canvas can get wet, can get iced, brittle, and even if some water resistance,,eventually soaks all the way thru. I had for years, a canvas pullover with hood,,that I used for Tuna, and shark fishing, off the coast of Connecticut...out on the grand banks,,and it was great to a point. It couldn't beat the gortex, or other space age materials we have available to us today.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Can a sock eliminate the need to carry a larger tarp when temps are cooler? If the sock blocks the wind it seems like carry a smaller tarp to block the precipitation is all you would need. It seems a sock would be more efficient at blocking wind while adding warmth as well.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    Can a sock eliminate the need to carry a larger tarp when temps are cooler? If the sock blocks the wind it seems like carry a smaller tarp to block the precipitation is all you would need. It seems a sock would be more efficient at blocking wind while adding warmth as well.
    That's one of the biggest selling points. It also helps protect from wind blown mist and splashback on your UQ. Not being totally waterproof it won't stop it if the wind is blowing sideways and drenching your hammock, but it helps you keep dry from the mist you get when using a smaller tarp.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    DWR finish is water resistant,,not waterproof which is the same for Momentum 90 MR. BlackWolf,,if your going to the artic..what do the artic explorers use,,when they are pitching tents? However,,I am asuming,,your going to try and hammock off the ground in a artic atmosphere,,so your going to be seeking something that is windproof, waterproof, and yet, has to have somewhat breathable ablitities to keep from icing on the inside.??? Just guessing.
    This is from an E-Mail from WarBonnet ..".''condensation is often an issue with non-breathable fabric (coated fabric like for a tarp), our spindrift sock (like plain canvas) does not have a waterproof coating and is thus breathable and would have much less problems with condensation. i've used it once below freezing (probably in the 20's during a dry snowstorm) and had no condensation" "

Arctic .. not quite .. Michigan's Upper Peninsula though .. for the month of February .. 275 mile hike .. I'll more then likely end up replicating the Spindrift in Breathable Cuban and put it to the test .. I am still awaiting so answers from others and will see Joe from ZPacks next week and pick his brain on the Cuban ..

I've chosen to use Brandon's WBRR for this hike {for several reasons}.. it would be nice if I could use the Spindrift as is .. Smokehouse is currently making me one of his Smokehouse "tarps" for when or if I need to hot tent .. I don't plan using said "tarp" 'cept in the worst of weather .. this is why the 'sock' material is paramount in my selection
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Black Wolf,,sounds like a awesome trip..and wow on the size of it. You are definitely well into the planning and thinking out of this as I would be too. Good luck on your endevours as I know you will have a great time.

I'm still trying to figure out how Cannibal wants to hang from inside a igloo made of snow.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i ended up deciding that i figured the sock would be a seasonal use item and thus you'd install it for a whole trip or a whole winter season and thus the instal would be done at home on the living room floor or whatever and that weight and price would be saved by not having long slot at both ends. i knew there would be concerns here. i don't like the idea of several feet of velcro really, but if folks are wanting instal/remove on a repeated basis that would certainly be easier, i'm still thinking most will use it seasonally and it will not need to be adding/removing it all the time
    Not sure several feet would be needed but enough to be able to open and slide to the foot end (while out of the hammock with cross bars removed) would be great for those times when weather gets warmer than expected. The ability to more easily instal/remove in the field has merit for other reasons too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    My understanding is that the Spindrift is not DWR .. for the application I'd be using weight isn't a concern .. I'll be pulling it not carrying it .. my concern is functionality .. at -30*F to -40*F temps .. 20-40*F .. I'd stay with the Spindrift as is ..

How about Canvas compared to breathable Cuban in those temps >> sub-zero ??
    spindrift is breathable DWR fabric

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Not sure several feet would be needed but enough to be able to open and slide to the foot end (while out of the hammock with cross bars removed) would be great for those times when weather gets warmer than expected. The ability to more easily instal/remove in the field has merit for other reasons too.
    the slot would have to be the full width of the spread in order to get the bars back on afterwards, i'm not seeing any other way to do it without making the slot from corner to corner.

as far as venting goes, the door is huge so if it gets a bit war unzipping the door would be the easiest way to vent

Images
    my understanding is that canvas is superior to non-breathable tent fabric in sub freezing temps because non-breathable (coated fabric) has more issues with condensation (water vapor builds up against the cold tarp/tent fabric and then condensates and freezes. i don't see any reason breathable canvas would be better for a sock than breathable dwr nylon no matter what the temps are. the only thing i see as a factor is how breathable is it? something that's minimally breathable (like goretex) would have more condensation than something that's more breathable. for instance something like goretex is technically "breathable" but the problem may be that it's not breathable enough and the water condensates and then freezes before it can pass through, so the question is HOW breathable is the fabric you plan on using? it needs to be "highly" breathable to prevent condensation/frost buildup on the inside. keep in mind that the more breathable it is, the less wind resistence it gives so you don't want it too breathable

using a tarp/sock combo shouldn't effect breathability much as the tarp IS breathable asuming it's not sealed up like a tent. if you did have a tarp that was sealed up like the superfly or whatever, you'd possibly get condensation on the underside of the tarp, but it wouldn't cause it to all of a sudden condensate inside the sock or anything, water can still pass through the sock. if it condensates on the tarp, not a real big deal, the sock should still keep you dry.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 09-05-2012 at 13:31.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

tarp size

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    That's one of the biggest selling points. It also helps protect from wind blown mist and splashback on your UQ. Not being totally waterproof it won't stop it if the wind is blowing sideways and drenching your hammock, but it helps you keep dry from the mist you get when using a smaller tarp.
    I don't know that its really a selling point, though. Not like you would want to go with a Maccat Micro instead of your BMJ - or at least I wouldn't want to give up the square footage of coverage under the tarp - not as rain protection anyway.

Its not so much that you can carry a smaller tarp as much as you don't have to carry a gargantuan tarp like the Cloudburst or others that might fit over the RR in more the manner we're used to doing with a regular hammock. So really, you either need a larger tarp OR the Spindrift in addition to whatever you're now using in order to get equivalent coverage on the RR compared to what you might be used to (better coverage of course with the sock).

I got out with the RR and my Toxaway this past weekend, and the Tox fits fine over the RR, albeit with a very mild angle (around 45 degrees) to keep away from the spreaders. This angle leaves a pretty large opening at the ends where I would be concerned about getting wet. However, I think there is enough coverage on the Tox that an undercover might do.

Now, in colder weather where you don't really expect rain, then yes, you could go with a smaller tarp and the sock would replace the wind blocking of a larger tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast