Amazonas Barbados.
    Tarp
    5$ stock tarp
    Insulation
    Wool poncho & bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

Alternative to cinch buckles

So, I was looking around and could not find any cinchbuckles under 12$ for a pair! That's kind of a lot, to me at least. So I was thinking, why not just use the cam buckles that come with ratchet straps? You could cut the buckle off the strap then prussic it to the hammock, which should hypothetically work.

What do you think?

-Aduro
    Set fire to the night, for light is only made bright by darkness.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Sure thing! If you're using the straps for tree huggers, then the other half of the set is useless anyway.
    It's gonna be pretty heavy by backpacking standards, but it'll hold ya, and if it doesn't, well now you'll know.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    A lighter option but similiar cost range is the JRB tri glides.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    How about descender rings instead of cinch buckles? $7.50 a pair from AHE or I get mine from REI for $2.95 each.
    KJ

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Descender rings could be a disadvantage as the curve means either A: the strap must flex/bend or B: not fully grip causing a potential gravity test that concludes with you sitting on the ground. I'd stick to either tri-glides , cinch buckles, or the dual triangular ones (can't remember the name), but in general you want a flat angle for the strapping to maximize the contact and reduce slipping/unnecessary stress to the strapping IMO.

Someone mentioned onrope1.com. I found these metal buckles there and the price is a little closer to what I would like to spend.

http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.p...=118&parent=29

cutter

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Someone mentioned onrope1.com. I found these metal buckles there and the price is a little closer to what I would like to spend.

http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.p...=118&parent=29

cutter
    I've been using those for 2 or 3 years now, still works great. The price is right, but the shipping might get ya!

Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    Descender rings could be a disadvantage as the curve means either A: the strap must flex/bend or B: not fully grip causing a potential gravity test that concludes with you sitting on the ground. I'd stick to either tri-glides , cinch buckles, or the dual triangular ones (can't remember the name), but in general you want a flat angle for the strapping to maximize the contact and reduce slipping/unnecessary stress to the strapping IMO.
    I would have to disagree, I used rings for quite some time with no problem, as well as many others have used them or still use them without issue! The issue is when people are not tying the safety knot at the rings correctly, then they go plopping to the ground!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    I would have to disagree, I used rings for quite some time with no problem, as well as many others have used them or still use them without issue! The issue is when people are not tying the safety knot at the rings correctly, then they go plopping to the ground!
    I'm with you CB. I have them on several hammocks and never have an issue when I tie a slippery half hitch behind it. For that matter, I put the same knot behind cinch buckles.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Fair enough, I have never used descender rings for that but them not having had the safety knot would make sense. I was mainly stating why I hadn't used them personally with the reasoning and commenting that I knew people who ended up sitting with them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast