Question Zing it continuous loop

Hey guys! Ive been trying to make some loops out of 1.75 zing-it and failing left and right! Im using a cat5 cable right now like ive heard around here, but not really getting anywhere. Do you guys open the cat5 and use one of the colored wires or open those and use a single strand of the copper? It seems like the copper ones wouldnt be strong enough. Btw anyone have a vid of them working with the zing it? Wondering if there are some tricks im not using...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Leighlo 66" 30* UQ
    Suspension
    stock WBBB webbing
    Tooty,

Made some last night. I've been using a #14 yarn needle from Joann Fabric to pull everything through. Works like a charm

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Take the extra step of opening with a knitting or darning needle....or the end of a narrow ballpoint pen .
    +1 on using the darning needle to pull the bury through. You'd prefer the ones with a "ballpoint" or rather blunted end rather than sharper tips, but not by much for this cord.
    Cutting a taper before threading the needle makes it easy for the needle and line to pass through the opening. Not doing so first makes for a larger bolus, and you would then be better off with a smaller needle.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-23-2012 at 09:56.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooty Frooty View Post
    Hey guys! Ive been trying to make some loops out of 1.75 zing-it and failing left and right! Im using a cat5 cable right now like ive heard around here, but not really getting anywhere. Do you guys open the cat5 and use one of the colored wires or open those and use a single strand of the copper? It seems like the copper ones wouldnt be strong enough. Btw anyone have a vid of them working with the zing it? Wondering if there are some tricks im not using...
    I use a single strand of ethernet copper wire stripped of it's plastic sheath. Just double it back on itself to make the "hook" for pulling the zing it into itself.

It will eventually break after too many "bend cycles", but it's just the right size and rigidity for the 1.75mm. Sorry I have no videos or tips, just follow the other amsteel splicing guides, I have made everything from nacrabiners, soft shackles, whoopie slings, continuous loops, fixed eyes out of 1.75mm Lash-it....too much fun.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I made on last night, my 1st attempt, I took 20 gauge safety wire doubled it crimped the end fairly tight. I push the wire loop thru the 1.75 lashit and back out to grab the loose end of the lashit. To do that I insert the end of the lashit between the loop of safety (just a dab will do), push the end of the lashit back into the tightly crimped safety wire so the safety wire pinches the lashit. Holding the opposite end of the safety wire (I have a larger loop to hold onto and twist back and forth), then I "milk" the outside over the lump formed by the safety wire pinching the lashit and do so until it's thru. The process may take a couple of minutes depending on the length.

I used the continuous loop to suspend a light from my rigdeline. When working alot with the smaller diameter stuff it's really helpful to use gloves or a couple of small pads to protect your digits. I got that suggestion from a sweet lady that sold me a loop turned and she gave me a couple of small pieces of what looked like backing for a place mat, but a couple of pieces of inner tube or anything similar would be even better.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooty Frooty View Post

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    I've used a piece of .022" stainless steel fishing leader wire for years. It is folded in half and crimped just enough to hold the tip of the line. Pulls the line through very well.

Quote Originally Posted by fly-chucker View Post
    Tooty,

Made some last night. I've been using a #14 yarn needle from Joann Fabric to pull everything through. Works like a charm
    Wow that #14 yarn needle and a taper makes a world of difference!!!

• + New Posts