WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Been about 3 weeks under my Tadpole every night here in Maine. Today was the second day with any reasonable sunshine and a probability of rain tonight. Not the first problem with the tarp. By the time I get back to Florida I should have over 3 months of fulltime outdoors and will follow up.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Sent you a PM search but I wanted to see if everyone is in agreement with me in that the Black color provides the best shade (Flatline any thoughts?). I have had grey, green, brown and black tarps and my Black Big Daddy has the best shade protection by far (might be the double coating of sil too).

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    I have several friends who use black tarps and they do provide good shade.
    My Tadpole is tan, I custom ordered some tan sil-nylon and I got Marty to make a Tadpole usuing that. I think it turned out great but Marty didn't like it much.
    My OMW is green on one side and brown on the other.
    My personal favorite is the brown. Dunno why?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-See-Um No More
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix UQ 20
    Suspension
    ENO Atlus Straps

Weight of 144" Ridge Line

Anyone know the weight on the 144" Ridge Line Tadpole Tarp??? Also looking to get one of these. I'm also excited to see on their website under the new section that by the end of July there will be a door kit available for it. I'm new to hammock hanging and going on a week long trip in August in Michigan worried about the weather and coverage my tarp will provide. I already have a Superfly in the family so don't want another one of the same thing but would like similar coverage but I do like the light weight of the Tadpole.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimms View Post
    Anyone know the weight on the 144" Ridge Line Tadpole Tarp??? Also looking to get one of these. I'm also excited to see on their website under the new section that by the end of July there will be a door kit available for it. I'm new to hammock hanging and going on a week long trip in August in Michigan worried about the weather and coverage my tarp will provide. I already have a Superfly in the family so don't want another one of the same thing but would like similar coverage but I do like the light weight of the Tadpole.
    The Big Daddy tarp is 3.1 oz heavier with a 144 ridgeline.

As a matter of fact, you might look at the larger Big Daddy tarp as a potential purchase. It is 2.4 oz heavier than the tadpole. I have zero hammocking experience so I can only relate the specs.

Quote Originally Posted by ojdash View Post
    Sent you a PM search but I wanted to see if everyone is in agreement with me in that the Black color provides the best shade (Flatline any thoughts?). I have had grey, green, brown and black tarps and my Black Big Daddy has the best shade protection by far (might be the double coating of sil too).
    I had not considered black at all. Why? I could imagine the heat in a black car or black tent. The black would absorb more of the sun's rays instead of reflecting them. However, there is a fundamental difference between a black tarp and black tent or black car. A black tarp would still radiate more heat but there is no enclosed space.

The black tarp gives better shade but does it seem warmer or cooler under it?

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Search View Post
    I had not considered black at all. Why? I could imagine the heat in a black car or black tent. The black would absorb more of the sun's rays instead of reflecting them. However, there is a fundamental difference between a black tarp and black tent or black car. A black tarp would still radiate more heat but there is no enclosed space.

The black tarp gives better shade but does it seem warmer or cooler under it?
    I am cooler under the black tarp than any of the other colors I had... Possibly because of less transparency. The big daddy is te perfect sized tarp for me. Took it on an overnighter and had 2 of us under it in chairs cooking. It was awesome

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ojdash View Post
    I am cooler under the black tarp than any of the other colors I had... Possibly because of less transparency. The big daddy is te perfect sized tarp for me. Took it on an overnighter and had 2 of us under it in chairs cooking. It was awesome
    I think there maybe cooler air (lower to the ground) being drawn under the
    tarp as the, solar generated, heat moving upward the ridge line?

Or, it could be that it is shadier under the black material?

Hammock
    DHTBird,WBBB.draumrxl
    Tarp
    Camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie *snicker*
    Big props to Marty. Ordered one of the camo tadpoles Monday afternoon, here today. Can't wait to try it out tonight...no rain forecast so I will seal it after I use it first. Impressed with the quality of the tarp and the size for such a small package. Thanks for the quick service! I needed it for the weekend and was pleasantly surprised with delivery.
    If it moves, you can eat it. No promises you will think it tastes good.

Can't wait to check out my Tadpole. I never knew they were only a few miles from me, so it's very cool to support a local vendor.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast