Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not Interested

7 17.95%
  • standard silnylon tarp designs.

7 17.95%
  • custom tarp designs.

5 12.82%
  • ultralight tarps with newfangled fabrics.

20 51.28%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 Leftie + Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Artic KaroStep
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Heck why not be the CUSTOM GUY, giving people what they want then have a few generic models that you could have in stock.
    Just a thought, seems with tarps people are always wanting modifications, different sizes ect...
    Good luck

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    Quote Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
    I like my Speer Winter Tarp. There are a few things I'd do to modify it in an attempt to make it perfect. The closest thing I've seen to perfection being offerred now is the Warbonnet Outdoors Superfly with doors, primarily because of the four side panel pullouts. Starting there:

• attach the doors permanently,

• provide a means by which to roll up the doors when not in use, or shock cord to clip to the door on the other end, to keep them out of the way and not flapping,

• provide two additional tieouts on the ends, 1/4 and 3/4 of the width of the tarp to allow repositioning the ridgeline should a 3/4-width upwind pitch be desired with a 1/4-width downwind awning (a la Cooke Custom Sewing's Tundra Tarp),

• three internal ridgeline hang tabs for suspending gear from the ceiling (a la Mountain Laurel Design's Grace Tarp),

• mesh pockets with velcro closures above each tieout for storing wrapped up guy lines, and

• Kelty TripTease guy lines with silicone tension adjusters.

Oh, and keep the weight no more than 16 oz with a quiet fabric.

you do realize that providing such a challenge means that I will have to actually make one of these?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by catsnack View Post
    Oh I certainly plan on it! Just buying gasoline for trips to town is breaking the bank at the moment, so unfortunately it will have to wait for a better day.
    not to shoot down your idea....but if don't have money for gas....how do you plan on getting money to get Sil to make tarps...along with thread,grosgain,sewing machine(if you don't have one) .....

your looking at about 8 yards at least to make a small tarp ..thats about $60-70 just in Sil ....+ thread and grosgrain

after making gear you come to find out that it cost almost as much to make gear as it would be to just buy it

i hope you can get you idea off the ground and wish you luck .. but i would really think hard about it befor you jump in head first and bite off more then you can handle
    it could end up costing you more....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catsnack View Post

you do realize that providing such a challenge means that I will have to actually make one of these?
    I'm pretty sure that all of that, for 16 ounces in a quiet fabric, is physically impossible

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    Quote Originally Posted by PKT View Post
    Heck why not be the CUSTOM GUY, giving people what they want then have a few generic models that you could have in stock.
    Just a thought, seems with tarps people are always wanting modifications, different sizes ect...
    Good luck
    That is certainly an option to consider. Sometimes the difference between whether a person wants a product or not can be a 'small' thing like color, or in the case of tarps, number of tie-outs, whether or not it includes guy lines, thickness of webbing used, etc... If for a minimal cost they could change the small details, it could be what makes the sale. And also like you stated, a full custom design every now and then could be fun and a good learning experience.

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I'm pretty sure that all of that, for 16 ounces in a quiet fabric, is physically impossible
    nothing's impossible! if each of the components of the project are possibilities, the whole project can be possible. not saying it would be a budget tarp, but i think it could be done with enough experimenting... and possibly convincing cuben to make a lighter weight fabric. at least I think it would be fun to see how close to that i could get

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    But the point is that the ultralight fabrics, like spinn and cuben, are in fact NOT quiet.

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    not to shoot down your idea....but if don't have money for gas....how do you plan on getting money to get Sil to make tarps...along with thread,grosgain,sewing machine(if you don't have one) .....

your looking at about 8 yards at least to make a small tarp ..thats about $60-70 just in Sil ....+ thread and grosgrain

after making gear you come to find out that it cost almost as much to make gear as it would be to just buy it

i hope you can get you idea off the ground and wish you luck .. but i would really think hard about it befor you jump in head first and bite off more then you can handle
    it could end up costing you more....
    I've got a good reliable sewing machine... I have an extra car that I am trying to sell regardless of whether or not I make tarps. I need to sell it anyways, so why not throw a few hundred of it into seeing if this can take off or not?

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    But the point is that the ultralight fabrics, like spinn and cuben, are in fact NOT quiet.
    not yet

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    catsnack -

We appreciate your enthusiasm. But you haven't actually made any gear yet...

I'm afraid a discussion about 'starting a business' and what that business model should be is a little off-topic for HF, without actual gear to discuss.

Please start a new thread when you work out some designs and have some actual products to offer.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234