Hammock
    My bedsheet
    Tarp
    my other bedsheet
    Suspension
    double knots

convincing mom to let me use a hammock?

Hey guys,

I've been wondering how I can convince my mom to let me get a hammock for my bedroom. I've had my heart set on a hammock for about 5 months, yet every time I ask I get a "No."

So, a few questions:

1, how do I get my mom to let me buy myself a hammock?
    2, what size hammock would be good? (BTW, I'm 5'0", 115 lbs)
    3, which brand of hammock should I get?
    4, are there any hammock and support sets that cost less than 149 dollars?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Indiana!
    I don' know your mom, but since she already said no on several occasions it may be best to start outdoors then the hammock may slowly sneak indoors over time .
    The best way to get started IMO is make your own hammock. There's some good information in the diy area on "tablecloth" hammocks which require no sewing, come in various sizes,and cost is $20-30. Add suspension and your good to go! I hope this helps some.
    Hang Easy'
    Red

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I agree about starting outdoors and making your own hammock. Both will demostrate to mom that it is more than yet another passing interest. While you're doing these things, try to find out 'why' she won't let you hang indoors instead of 'if' she will let you. Once you know the 'whys', it's your responsibility to address them. Moms worry about their kids and my bet is that's the problem here. You need to be able to demonstrate there is no reason for her to worry.

Just remember one thing above all, mom is boss. That right there, never really changes...even when you're over 40.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I agree about starting outdoors and making your own hammock. Both will demostrate to mom that it is more than yet another passing interest. While you're doing these things, try to find out 'why' she won't let you hang indoors instead of 'if' she will let you. Once you know the 'whys', it's your responsibility to address them. Moms worry about their kids and my bet is that's the problem here. You need to be able to demonstrate there is no reason for her to worry.

Just remember one thing above all, mom is boss. That right there, never really changes...even when you're over 40.

Or like every other evil mom she hears ya and is just waiting.
    Maybe not, but it sure seams to happen enough times...
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

True dat !

Also good advice from previous posters as to addressing the 'why' and showing it is more than just a passing fancy.
    Hangin' High and Dry

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    A lot of mums are freaked out by things that are out of the 'norm.' As hammock-hangers, we understand that. If she is the kind who likes to be trendy and fashionable and gets her ideas from 'what everyone else is doing' as far as home design goes, you may just have to do the outdoor thing and wait till you get your own place.

Five months may seem like a long time to have waited already, and it may seem unfair to you, but believe me, it's worth it to keep the peace with your mum.
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Welcome to the site.
    You might want to contact member djminnesota. He is probably pretty near your age (maybe 15?). He has some excellent ideas and maybe could help.

Us oldsters gotta be responsible and we are not BSing when we say that Mom is the boss on this one. It just is what it is and fighting it will only make it worse. BTW don't just ask your Mom why? Maybe something more like, "Mom, I want to use a hammock, but you say No. I would like to better understand your reasoning as to how you have reached that decision. Would you share that with me?" Be cool and non-confrontational. She might be so surprised at your approach that she will not know what to say, but tell her you really want to understand her position. After some thought I bet she explains why. Don't try to convince her, or argue your position. Just listen and when you understand her position say Thanks and then go listen to some tunes. After a few days perhaps you can make some proposal for an experimental trial of some sort. Probably hanging out in the backyard is your best starting point. Then you can work forward from there
    Last edited by Jcavenagh; 01-06-2013 at 22:05.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    Welcome to the sight.
    You might want to contact member djminnesota. He is probably pretty near your age (maybe 15?). He has some excellent ideas and maybe could help.

Us oldsters gotta be responsible and we are not BSing when we say that Mom is the boss on this one. It just is what it is and fighting it will only make it worse. BTW don't just ask your Mom why? Maybe something more like, "Mom, I want to use a hammock, but you say No. I would like to better understand your reasoning as to how you have reached that decision. Would you share that with me?" Be cool and non-confrontational. She might be so surprised at your approach that she will not know what to say, but tell her you really want to understand her position. After some thought I bet she explains why. Don't try to convince her, or argue your position. Just listen and when you understand her position say Thanks and then go listen to some tunes. After a few days perhaps you can make some proposal for an experimental trial of some sort. Probably hanging out in the backyard is your best starting point. Then you can work forward from there

This sounds like the best approach.....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I had the same ambition while in middle/high school age. My ideal bedroom was a big brazilin across the corner with a hammock above for storage/ guest bed. Also wanted a big handled soda fountain, projector for a TV, ...... I had big dreams/plans. Her opposition came from the "waste" of available funds and no modifications to the structure. She also didn't get the hammock as a bed thing figured I would get a sore back and have wasted my effort. She now laughs that I have a semi permanent hammock test facility from the garage rafters. If I wanted to try to ease her into it. I would start in the yard. Build a hammock stand like the turtle dog stand that can be used indoors with out damage to the structure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast