Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    Closer to the Cemetery, and its on top the hill, so pretty level the entire trip. Mule, I'm going to take a good hard look at this....could be a good spot.

ANOTHER place could be the pennisula, its at the first trail head as you come from the west on the dirt road. it is a 4 mile hike to the lake, and water would be plentyful there. Only draw back, is if the water is down, we may sink into muck getting to the water. and if its cold, the wind will be coming directly off the lake....( much colder )

another thought.....we have plenty of time to think about it....

Jerry
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Monroe Co. is dry as all get out,,didn't get the storms or rain this last weekend again..I drove past 2 small fires the fire dept, was putting out in the median of Hwy 37 just south of the 2nd street exit at 3pm today,,and the flames in the grass were 3-4ft tall in the wind and burning fast. Pray for rain. Where I live just south and a dash west of Bedford,,we have had 3/10ths inch of rain now going on 4 weeks.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    We would have to walk past the lake and into the woods or hike up from the lake about 5 minutes up the hill to Miller Ridge to camp.
    Mule, there is a ton of parking right there at the dam. It would be a good idea to check with the Sheriffs Dept. to assure it is currently permissible to park there overnight. If you take the trail at the west end,that we used to call the Elevator. There are indeed some nice camping areas not too far in. Including an old farmstead. Fresh water could be cached in the vehicles (no Filtering ) to quickly retrieve if needed. Plus you can easily hook up from there to day hike on the Tecumseh Trail or the old Panther Gap Trail. Or hike over the Panther Gap and down through the Will Hayes Vally to Lake Monroe ( bank fishing? ). One could even hop over one ridge and link up with the trail system at the south end Of Brown County State Park. Those with the inspiration and not adversed to perspiration, could hike down to the old bridge at Elkinsville ( if it is still there ) cross Salt Creek and climb Browning Hill for an overnight or long day hike.You can fish or canoe/kayak right there at the parking lot. Considering the comparative ease of caching water and good parking at this location. Plus the many opportunities for day hiking, fishing and canoeing that the other areas do not easily present (as they are more or less remote isolated destinations ). Also being situated between Bloomington and Nashville, it makes a short drive for a resupply. I would highly recommend this sight for consideration for the Halloween Hang. If not used for this hang, I know it would make a great location for a future Hammock Forum hang. As a result of the Hoosier Hangs and the Halloween Hangs I am pleased that many more people are now aware of and currently enjoying the Nebo Ridge area. I would now like to see the focus changed and an event held adjacent to Crooked Creek Lake to introduce the many hangers that are not acquainted with this area. A new place for many and an old favorite for a few. Great Idea Mule! Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Just a plaudit to a great idea! Big Al
    Never confuse the facts with the truth! It ain't easy bein' geezy

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles
    Sorry I forgot to mention that Crooked Creek Lake lies in Yellow Wood State Forest so we can not camp at the lake. That is the reason for the short hike up the hill. That one may cross over into the Hoosier National Forest where camping is permitted. Big Al

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Yes Crooked Creek Lake is Yellowood SF. But the Dam parking lot also serves as trail head for the Panther Gap loop. Not much info out there, but I've done it several times, and it's a nice trail. Can't remember total distance, but seems like around 8 miles.

Anyone with the old trail book? Mine's long gone, but I know someone has it. Saw the thumbnail.

It's only a short hike from the lake, through the SF, to the HNF.
    Last edited by Rolloff; 08-06-2012 at 23:37.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Yes Crooked Creek Lake is Yellowood SF. But the Dam parking lot also serves as trail head for the Panther Gap loop. Not much info out there, but I've done it several times, and it's a nice trail. Can't remember total distance, but seems like around 8 miles.

Anyone with the old trail book? Mine's long gone, but I know someone has it. Saw the thumbnail.

It's only a short hike from the lake, through the SF, to the HNF.
    Has some dust on it but this is it. To reach trail head. Take In. 46 east 10 mi.from Bloomington or take In. 46 west 5.1 miles from Nashville. Turn south on Crooked Creek Road. Continue 3.4 miles to lake on left. (info. garnered from hikers guide to Nebo Ridge) The extreme southern tip of the trail is not shown on the thumbnail as that is how it was photocopied into my guide book. The trail comes to a sharp turn at an intersection just off the map as is suggested by the dotted lines that appear at the bottom edge of the thumbnail. Big Al
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Just throwing this out,,how about Indian Lake/Celina Lake area, southern Indiana Hoosier Nat. Forest.,its all national forest,,with backpacking trails,,those campgrounds close 10/15 so not alot of activity then at those,,,just a thought. You still have almost 3 months to throw this together,,it should rain by then and maybe pretty good...Jerry,,Monroe Res..is down 1.6ft from summer pool,,and they are only letting out 54cu.ft. per sec...they are holding water,,so the lake is very stable right now and going to stay that way.
    Last edited by Acer; 08-07-2012 at 20:34.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    That Panther Gap area looks pretty cool, I was unaware of that trail.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Reckon View Post
    Has some dust on it but this is it. To reach trail head. Take In. 46 east 10 mi.from Bloomington or take In. 46 west 5.1 miles from Nashville. Turn south on Crooked Creek Road. Continue 3.4 miles to lake on left. (info. garnered from hikers guide to Nebo Ridge) The extreme southern tip of the trail is not shown on the thumbnail as that is how it was photocopied into my guide book. The trail comes to a sharp turn at an intersection just off the map as is suggested by the dotted lines that appear at the bottom edge of the thumbnail. Big Al
    Well done DR

Mark6 The P-Gap really is a nice little loop. Halfway, you have the option, of following the draw all the way to Lake Monroe. Gets a little crowded during Deer Season.

It's most certainly dry now due to conditions, but the stream crossing before you take the Gap, is generally better than seasonal. There does seem to be 4-wheel drive access, deep in, which might be helpful, should someone be able to figure it out.

How can we archive that trail Guide Mods?
    Last edited by Rolloff; 08-07-2012 at 23:48.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I am in for the Pond again this year. Or the Crooked Creek or wherever. Had a good time last year. Looking forward to it.
    The Crooked Creek lake would be a good camp one of these days. You drive right up to the lake on Crooked Creek Road, then hike into the forest a bit to camp.
    We used to use this parking lot at the lake to go to Hayes Branch.
    Last edited by Mule; 08-08-2012 at 00:12.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast