Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Interesting. Something to ponder if I go the cuben route. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hawk-eye,

A question (which is maybe better address by Stormcrow?), there is a "Winter Palace", which is 10'10" by 10'7", then there is the "Cat Cut Winter", which is 10'10" by 8'6", but you can pay an extra $15 to get a 12' ridgeline (12' by 8'6").

What's the difference? Are there different tie-outs? I thought the 4 season had doors like the Palace. Do the extra 1' on each side of the Palace make up for the 1' shortness on the length? I understand that the 4 season has a cat cut on the ridgeline, which I'd prefer and if I can get it for $314, instead of $399?

Also, I realize the weight advantage. I'm more wanting to know about waterproofness. I have a standard Superfly. I sealed up the ridgeline, but I think water will soak through the fabric from pressure on the inside (like a tent). Is the cuben fiber a more waterproof fabric? Does it get worn through after repeated folds on the same crease (like a blue tarp)?

Any thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi Boomer,

I read your post a couple of times and I am not sure what the question is but I will try to clarify what I can.

Basically we have three tarps:

The Winter Palace (has doors)
    The 4S Tarp (also has doors)
    The Hex Tarp

You can have the ridgeline lengthened (or shortened). Most people that change the stock dimension of a tarp opt for making it a bit bigger-hence the 12' option.

The only difference between The 4S Tarp and The Winter Palace is the fact that it has two, one foot skirts bonded to it to make it wider. It is a shame that we have to charge so much more for that little addition, but we do it because it is both material and labor intensive.

The only difference between The Hex tarp and the other two is that it is minus the doors.

I am not sure if I made things clearer or just confused you more... Shoot me an email or give me a call and I might be able to better explain it to you.

For what it is worth, we will probably just be changing the stock 10'10" to an even 11' very soon....(no brainer, I know)

~Stormcrow

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Hawk-eye,

A question (which is maybe better address by Stormcrow?), there is a "Winter Palace", which is 10'10" by 10'7", then there is the "Cat Cut Winter", which is 10'10" by 8'6", but you can pay an extra $15 to get a 12' ridgeline (12' by 8'6").

What's the difference? Are there different tie-outs? I thought the 4 season had doors like the Palace. Do the extra 1' on each side of the Palace make up for the 1' shortness on the length? I understand that the 4 season has a cat cut on the ridgeline, which I'd prefer and if I can get it for $314, instead of $399?

Also, I realize the weight advantage. I'm more wanting to know about waterproofness. I have a standard Superfly. I sealed up the ridgeline, but I think water will soak through the fabric from pressure on the inside (like a tent). Is the cuben fiber a more waterproof fabric? Does it get worn through after repeated folds on the same crease (like a blue tarp)?

Any thoughts?
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ...... I'm more wanting to know about waterproofness. I have a standard Superfly. I sealed up the ridgeline, but I think water will soak through the fabric from pressure on the inside (like a tent). Is the cuben fiber a more waterproof fabric? Does it get worn through after repeated folds on the same crease (like a blue tarp)?

Any thoughts?
    Adam answered most of what you asked I think .. on the Superfly, not sure why you sealed the ridgeline ... the only thing that needs sealing on it is the pull outs and some folks don't even do those since they drip outside your hanging area ... but I sealed mine. I've NEVER had the Superfly to leak ... nor mist ... I've had some condensation from the amount of fog and humidity but that's really it. There are all levels of quality in sil nylon but at least on my Camo Superfly ... she's about as water tight as I've seen with sil and I've been in it through some nasty down pours.

I've yet to ride out a downpour in the Cuben but the nature of the fiber is ... pardon my simple comparison ... like a solid plastic. It's not going to absorb water at all, so I'd say it's more water proof than sil nylon to that respect.

As far as wearing from repeated folding ... I honestly can't say. BUT like in the video I've elected to roll and stuff mine because I don't know if it will do that like the old coated nylon tent flies of my younger days. But I think that if you want to fold it ... folding a little differently each time, not allowing it to be subjected to high heat .... can't hurt!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks guys, that clarified the differences for me. I guess the wetness was from condensation.
    Last edited by Boomer; 11-06-2012 at 23:13.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey Hawk-eye, how small can you pack the skin up (with the tarp in it I mean), just wondering how it compares to using a stuff sack?

Thanks.

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Great video as always video really makes me want a cuben tarp. The skins are a nice touch.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tattoo View Post
    Great video as always video really makes me want a cuben tarp. The skins are a nice touch.
    Well thanks! Yeah they do the trick!

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L84toff View Post
    Hey Hawk-eye, how small can you pack the skin up (with the tarp in it I mean), just wondering how it compares to using a stuff sack?

Thanks.
    Well actually in the skins .... It fits in the original stuff sack ... Skins & all!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    superior review. you have added fuel to the fire of lust for Cuben.
    i still can't bring myself to let go of the CRL, mainly because i can't pull a
    CRL too tight.
    thanks for the peak!
    __bob__

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast