Questions about hanging Kelty Noah tarp, bug net and ridgelines

I have an ENO singlenest hammock. I have yet to spend a night in it though I have taken a couple test naps. I just ordered the Kelty Noah 12' tarp and I am considering the ENO bug net.

Looking at the tarp, it has tabs on top so that the ridgeline for the tarp is above the tarp rather than under it. I assume this is to keep the line from drawing moisture through the tarp? I know if you touch the sides of a wet tent, it will draw the moisture through so i assume it would be the same for the tarp? The picture (see link below) shows it being hung on the ends without a ridgeline so maybe I could do this between trees as well?

The ENO bug net also hangs the same way as the Kelty tarp, with tabs on top so that the net hangs under a ridgeline. So now I am at 2 ridgelines, one above the tarp and one above the bug net. That still leaves me without a ridgeline to hang gear on under the bug net. Do I really need 3 ridgelines or is there a better way?

Here are links to the tarp and bug net for reference:

Kelty Tarp:
    http://www.rei.com/product/808940/ke...s-tarp-12-x-12

ENO bug net:
    http://www.rei.com/product/754781/eno-guardian-bug-net

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVWannabe View Post
    ...I assume this is to keep the line from drawing moisture through the tarp? I know if you touch the sides of a wet tent, it will draw the moisture through so i assume it would be the same for the tarp? The picture (see link below) shows it being hung on the ends without a ridgeline so maybe I could do this between trees as well?

The ENO bug net also hangs the same way as the Kelty tarp, with tabs on top so that the net hangs under a ridgeline. ...[/URL]
    You needed to avoid touching the inside of uncoated canvas tents to prevent drawing water through, but not the coated materials our tarps are made of. You can use individual lines on both ends of the tarp or a single ridgeline above or below the tarp. It's mainly personal preference.

If your hammock has a ridgeline, it will support the ENO bug net from below. If not, then you need a ridgeline to support it from the exterior.

You will have lots of choices.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    The ENO bug net also hangs the same way as the Kelty tarp, with tabs on top so that the net hangs under a ridgeline.
    Again, it's your personal preference, but I put my ridgeline inside the bugnet and didn't use the plastic hooks. It runs from the gathered ends of the hammock itself. I am geared for rapid deployment while under attack from enemy mosquito forces.

You can string the tarp separately on its own ridgeline hovering above the hammock/bugnet assembly.

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    When I was using my Noah Tarp I hung it with 2 lines from each end as in your picture.
    Also I have touched it many times during rain and it NEVER leaked through. It's coated differently than tents.

You don't have to hang the ENO bug net the way they suggest either. I didn't like how it hung and it was a pain to do it that way. I simply tied two lines to the ends of the bug net, ran the hammock with it's own ridge line on it through the bug net and tied the two lines I had attached to the net to my hammock suspension.

I have to tell you though, I hated the vertical zipper on the ENO net and finally got a Warbonnet net (same price) that has a vertical zipper because it is much easier to get in & out of. It's lighter too.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    I have to tell you though, I hated the vertical zipper on the ENO net and finally got a Warbonnet net (same price) that has a vertical zipper because it is much easier to get in & out of. It's lighter too.
    Thanks, the Warbonnet zipper does look like it would be easier to get in and out of. It is also half the weight of the ENO which is nice.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks, the Warbonnet zipper does look like it would be easier to get in and out of. It is also half the weight of the ENO which is nice.
    You can also see out better. I leave the net on my hammock and simply stuff it all in a Bishop Bag for quick deployment too.

Ok, I have seen Bishop Bag mentioned more than once on this forum but I don't know what it is. So what is it?

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    It's a stuff sack like usual but it has a hole in the bottom just big enough for one end of the suspension to go through. The large open end is on the hammock end. When packing up you simply unhook your hammock on the small holed end and start stuffing your hammock into the large open end including the suspension on the opposite end. Then close it and wrap the lines left sticking out around the bag or wind them up and tie them into a bundle. How ever you prefer. I've seen some fancier bags with a little pocket sewed on for the lines to go in too. If my lines are wet I leave that one end out so not to get my hammock wet. Then of course when setting up you do all of that in reverse!
    In Shug's vid that talks about suspension he shows how one works.
    Shug! Where are you? We need that video please.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Shug! Where are you? We need that video please.
    HERE ya go...

FF to 2:50 if you choose to ignore the silliness... But I betcha you won't...
    At 5:50 he shows the bishop bag get used in all its glory...

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Thanks Shnick, I just spent the last hour plus watching the first 7 video tutorials.

• + New Posts