Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nothing is perfect. In the realm of hammocks (especially the higher end stuff) you are looking at hand crafted items. 99% of the time they will be a million times better than the production line stuff flowing out of China, but there will always be some error.

So you got a bum item. Sorry, it happens, but you cannot expect the seller to completely drop obligations to his other customers in order to accommodate you. I'm still new at all this but this is the first negative thing I have heard about Claytor, and frankly, it just seems like you are a bit impatient.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl lefty, WBRR
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy Camo
    Insulation
    KAQs, Pads, PLUQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Tom seems to be having some quality control issues.

I had a JH that had a bad zipper and had to have it replaced.

I paid for the return shipping and Tom promptly refunded me the shipping once he got it.

And he shipped the replacement right away, didn't wait for the bad hammock to get back to him and the re-ship.

I'd just send it back, he can be trusted to refund the shipping.

But Tom really needs to do better eye-balling before shipping. Crocodile Sanders recently had an issue with a no net from Tom.

I'd think sucking up so many shipping costs would nip it in the bud.

I love my JH. Its worth the wait to get it right.

Tom's response to third email

" As it says on the webpage, you can shipnit back, and i will refund your payment. Less shipping."

Thank you
    Tom

Awesome right!?!

I do NOT recommend the Claytor hammock.

Images
    I don't think the issue is with the defects in the hammock - rather it is with Tom's negative response with regard to the defects.

When she discovered the defects is also irrelevant. Finding the defects on the day of receipt versus a few days later wouldn't have changed Tom's response, which is the real issue.

A first post is always going to be about something. Her's is negative about a particular product. In that regard it is a lot more informative than first post that say things like "Hi, I just love the idea of camping in a hammock.. Can't wait to get started. Hope everyone is having a lovely a day...signed...Mr. Rogers...."

Imagine what the first post would have been like had he responded with "ship it back, I'll ship you another and reimburse your shipping cost", or if the return of the defective hammock wasn't worth it to Tom then "Thanks for bringing a slip in my quality control to my attention, a replacement is on its way, do what you want with the defective one..."

The negative aspect of the post arises from Tom's poor response, not from the messenger relaying that poor response.

One of my first post-college jobs was an underwriter for Hartford Insurance. I was being trained to do oil underwriting in New Orleans. Part of the training was to spend a week in all the other departments.

The week I was in the claims department I went with a claims adjuster to take a claim from a senior citizen in a small town who had suffered a break-in. One of the items taken was a TV. When asked to described the item Mrs. Folger got out a Sears catalog and pointed out a large console remote controlled TV. The adjuster said fine, and add the price of that TV to the claim.

On the way back to the office I commented that I doubted she had such a TV, given the small size of the table in the living room on which her actual TV probably sat before it was stolen. The claims adjuster agreed, then said "Do you know how much it would cost for a billboard advertising Hartford Insurance on the road into that town? A lot more than a large console remote TV. And a billboard would be a lot less effective than Mrs. Folger's repeated statements to her church group about how satisfied she was with our service. We've collected premiums from her for almost 30 years. The cost of that new TV isn't the issue."

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    Hmmmm. Upon getting my Claytor, I set it up at home, several times, getting a feel for it. I also had some fraying nylon by the bugnet, but was and still is a non issue. Does not in no way affect my hammock. Just one of those things. Have wrote Tom before and was always quick and polite. Don't know why you received such a different response. ???

All in all, I love my Claytor. Kept me high and dry on a 2 week outing. Most comfortable nights I ever spent in the woods were in this hammock.

Claytor is not a huge hammock maker like Hennessy or Warbonnet but they do make a great product.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Hunter View Post
    Hmmmm. Upon getting my Claytor, I set it up at home, several times, getting a feel for it. I also had some fraying nylon by the bugnet, but was and still is a non issue. Does not in no way affect my hammock. Just one of those things. Have wrote Tom before and was always quick and polite. Don't know why you received such a different response. ???

All in all, I love my Claytor. Kept me high and dry on a 2 week outing. Most comfortable nights I ever spent in the woods were in this hammock.

Claytor is not a huge hammock maker like Hennessy or Warbonnet but they do make a great product.
    In addition to the fraying edge, there is an issue with an obvious stitching error. Take your hammock, make a random pleat in the body of the hammock, stitch the fold together, now pull out the stitches leaving two lines of needle holes.

Now put it up for sale on hammockforums without mentioning the errant stitch holes. Think a purchaser upon discovering the holes might have a legit complaint? I think so.

"Oops...don't worry..." isn't the right response.

If you like Claytors with frayed edges and errant stitch holes, make the OP an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I don't think the issue is with the defects in the hammock - rather it is with Tom's negative response with regard to the defects.

When she discovered the defects is also irrelevant. Finding the defects on the day of receipt versus a few days later wouldn't have changed Tom's response, which is the real issue.

A first post is always going to be about something. Her's is negative about a particular product. In that regard it is a lot more informative than first post that say things like "Hi, I just love the idea of camping in a hammock.. Can't wait to get started. Hope everyone is having a lovely a day...signed...Mr. Rogers...."

Imagine what the first post would have been like had he responded with "ship it back, I'll ship you another and reimburse your shipping cost", or if the return of the defective hammock wasn't worth it to Tom then "Thanks for bringing a slip in my quality control to my attention, a replacement is on its way, do what you want with the defective one..."

The negative aspect of the post arises from Tom's poor response, not from the messenger relaying that poor response.

One of my first post-college jobs was an underwriter for Hartford Insurance. I was being trained to do oil underwriting in New Orleans. Part of the training was to spend a week in all the other departments.

The week I was in the claims department I went with a claims adjuster to take a claim from a senior citizen in a small town who had suffered a break-in. One of the items taken was a TV. When asked to described the item Mrs. Folger got out a Sears catalog and pointed out a large console remote controlled TV. The adjuster said fine, and add the price of that TV to the claim.

On the way back to the office I commented that I doubted she had such a TV, given the small size of the table in the living room on which her actual TV probably sat before it was stolen. The claims adjuster agreed, then said "Do you know how much it would cost for a billboard advertising Hartford Insurance on the road into that town? A lot more than a large console remote TV. And a billboard would be a lot less effective than Mrs. Folger's repeated statements to her church group about how satisfied she was with our service. We've collected premiums from her for almost 30 years. The cost of that new TV isn't the issue."
    You and rookierocker want us all to feel bad for you, and to take up arms against a vendor - what, because he wants to you pay for return shipping?
    Is that really all that much to ask - especially when he's already informed you that none of the issues presented affect structural integrity of the device purchased, AND it clearly states his return policy on the website.
    It's not like he's saying one thing and then refusing to do it - He's already stated his policy, you agreed to that policy by giving him your money.

It's well documented that the vendor in question is not great in the Customer Service Department. Get over it, move on - you've said your peace, the both of you, so move on.

In addition to the fraying edge, there is an issue with an obvious stitching error. Take your hammock, make a random pleat in the body of the hammock, stitch the fold together, now pull out the stitches leaving two lines of needle holes.

Now put it up for sale on hammockforums without mentioning the errant stitch holes. Think a purchaser upon discovering the holes might have a legit complaint? I think so.

"Oops...don't worry..." isn't the right response.

If you like Claytors with frayed edges and errant stitch holes, make the OP an offer.
    Really... with close to 500 posts you should know the value of DIY gear around here - and you really think any of that gear gets sold with absolutely zero errant stitching holes? (granted, your friend didn't by a DIY piece, but still - it didn't affect the quality of the product!)

Life's a journey, you make it what it is, and you decide how and where it takes you - ~ good luck on yours
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Quote Originally Posted by bob2guns View Post
    i didn't mean ...don't worry at all ....just worry till you get a refund...and then get a -----> WB traveler/WB bugnet ....
    Or a Blackbird

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    You and rookierocker want us all to feel bad for you, and to take up arms against a vendor - what, because he wants to you pay for return shipping?
    Is that really all that much to ask - especially when he's already informed you that none of the issues presented affect structural integrity of the device purchased, AND it clearly states his return policy on the website.
    It's not like he's saying one thing and then refusing to do it - He's already stated his policy, you agreed to that policy by giving him your money.

It's well documented that the vendor in question is not great in the Customer Service Department. Get over it, move on - you've said your peace, the both of you, so move on.

Really... with close to 500 posts you should know the value of DIY gear around here - and you really think any of that gear gets sold with absolutely zero errant stitching holes? (granted, your friend didn't by a DIY piece, but still - it didn't affect the quality of the product!)

Life's a journey, you make it what it is, and you decide how and where it takes you - ~ good luck on yours

Lol...you sound like a front man for Tom Claytor.

The issue is way past the $60 loss my friend will take on returning the hammock. I've already told her that I'll pay her the $60 because I'm the one who put my credibility on the line by recommending she buy a claytor. Unlike Tom, I value my reputation.

Look through those 500 posts and you'll see a lot of praise and promotion of Tom and his products. I didn't hear you complaining when I was praising the guy and his products.

Now that he has let me down and impinged my reputation I'm letting people know just like I let them know of my personal satisfaction with his product.

Or maybe you think this forum should be one big promotion fest for all things hammock. No negative experiences allowed to be posted, just praise and glory to hammock salesmen.

Had I read a similar post like this before I purchased my Claytors I would have looked elsewhere for a hammock. The integrity of the seller is just as important as the quality of the product.

Lol...you sound like a front man for Tom Claytor.
    ... if only... hey, maybe I'd get paid for it... or worse, I'd be treated like ever-other-one of his dissatisfied clients...

{...}I'm the one who put my credibility on the line by recommending she buy a claytor. Unlike Tom, I value my reputation. {...}Now that he has let me down and impinged my reputation I'm letting people know just like I let them know of my personal satisfaction with his product.
    If your friend is truly a friend, she will never question your reputation - in fact she'd know your position on the matter and reputation would never be an issue. Stuff happens -

The integrity of the seller is just as important as the quality of the product.
    100% Agreed -
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast