Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    We'll discuss it again. In the past, we haven't allowed this because it turns into a spam-fest with vendors posting advertising for free, or giving a member discounts for posting links for them, etc.

The fundamental nature of HF is non-commercial. We only allow vendors who actually make their products...no resellers. (Stores who buy their products and sell to customers, but don't actually do anything original for the community.) This setup rewards our cottage makers who are actually creating new products and forcing evolution of the hammock camping market, and is neutral towards folks who are just selling a mass-produced product. What you're asking will tip the balance a little more towards the mass-marketers...and kinda goes against the fundamentally non-commercial community we try to cultivate here.

But we'll discuss it and see if it's time to find a new balance.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I think for noobs just starting out and for others on a tight budget, getting the information on a sale of hammock gear, or just one item on sale at a particular site is great. It sure helps them to get hanging quicker with less expense. Life is good.
    "No whining in the woods"

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    We'll discuss it again. In the past, we haven't allowed this because it turns into a spam-fest with vendors posting advertising for free, or giving a member discounts for posting links for them, etc.

The fundamental nature of HF is non-commercial. We only allow vendors who actually make their products...no resellers. (Stores who buy their products and sell to customers, but don't actually do anything original for the community.) This setup rewards our cottage makers who are actually creating new products and forcing evolution of the hammock camping market, and is neutral towards folks who are just selling a mass-produced product. What you're asking will tip the balance a little more towards the mass-marketers...and kinda goes against the fundamentally non-commercial community we try to cultivate here.

But we'll discuss it and see if it's time to find a new balance.
    I'm with you on this Jeff. What if someone stood up a separate site, wholly devoted to such activity? Would a sticky on HF to that 'marketing' site be a violation of the fundamentals of HF?

I'd be game for working out the details of said 'Marketing' site with others - obviously with the intent of keeping all interactions between sites within the guidelines defined by HF.

I'm all for finding a deal/steal/omg did u see that price! but not at the expense of the community and at the risk of loosing membership over the issues that come with open marketing to forum members
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

Thumbs up

+1 Good idea I like this one

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    We've discussed it among the mods and have decided to stick with the original policy. We try very hard to keep HF focused on original content and to minimize the commercial influence, so the only vendors we'd like to reward are the ones offering original products to the community. We don't want their innovation to be squeezed out by mass marketers. If our cottage manufacturers have great deals, they're free to post them in the vendor subforums (but even cottage hammock makers are not allowed to post non-hammock advertisements in their own subforums).

We know that not everyone agrees with this policy, but we think it's one of the key ingredients to creating the community that has sprung up here. Since this community is more important to us than finding some good deals, we'd like to keep the policy in place for HF. What someone does with another site and another community is not our decision, but HF will remain as non-commercial as possible.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Works for me.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    At first this seemed like a good idea, but after reading Jeff's post I agree it should stay as is.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Standard + HH HEx
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Standard+Figure9
    Congrats to the Mods on this forum for how active they are, and how they communicate together and with their members. Well done all!!!! 8-)

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Old Coleman tent f
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Good call Jeff

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    How wise these MODS are...its like they're aliens hanging around in the trees here.

I'll buy the best car deal I can find, but I don't need HF for that. HF does let me know who the folks are who do it with their own hands, who try new ideas, who look after each other...aww, the SOTU's on and I'm getting sentimental.

But really, thanks MODS, you do great.
    Last edited by Sailor; 02-12-2013 at 22:33.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast