Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle

Wilderness logics old man winter with explorer deluxe?

I don't have my explorer deluxe hammock yet, but I would like to get a tarp so I have my system together when it gets here. Would the wilderness logics old man winter tarp work well with the explorer deluxe?

Hammock
    HH Explorer A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Stock+descender
    Explorer deluxe comes with a decent tarp, I did buy a larger tarp - if you order direct from Hennessy you can upgrade for a reasonable fee.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Don't know for sure if they still do it, but they offered the upgrade to the hex tarp for free on the Explorer Deluxe when I ordered it.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I don't have my explorer deluxe hammock yet, but I would like to get a tarp so I have my system together when it gets here. Would the wilderness logics old man winter tarp work well with the explorer deluxe?
    You can use just about any hammocking tarp with the Hennessy. The side pull-outs on the Hennessy will need to go to the ground stakes at an angle that won't lift the edge of the tarp. The rest is just like any other hammock.

With any tarp/hammock combo, the ends where the suspension exits is the complicated part. You can end up with a lot of strings going at different angles and iIt just takes a little fiddling. It takes some experience and practice to gauge how the hammock will drop away from the tarp when you add your weight. The bigger the tarp, the less of a concern that is-- more room to "fudge."

I like a bigger tarp. The Hennessy Asym tarps just seem a little "thin" as the ends taper and there isn't a whole lot of overhang on the sides towards the ends. Wind driven rain is my concern--- a light shower with little or no wind is fine, but if you get a good blow, I would want something like that Old Man Winter tarp. I'm a big chicken and I don't like getting wet in my shelter Note the bigger tarps that Hennessy offers, along with his stories of getting caught in a blow.

Being able to spread out a large tarp in calmer weather in "porch mode" is one of the real pleasures of hammock camping for me. You can get out, cook, change clothes, etc with a light rain coming down and be dry and comfortable.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the OMW Tarp excited for it to arrive!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Hikingdad,

Make sure you tell us how it works and post a couple pictures. We all enjoy a little gear envy now and then Best of luck waiting, it is the bane of our existence in hammock land.

Are you talking about the Monsoon and Typhoon flies and Tom's getting caught in a blow as rationale for bigger tarps?

He was on a catamaran and hit by a wave that struck below the fly. I don't know about everyone, but I generally hang over land, most often in a cluster of trees. I've stayed dry with stock flies in storms that raged enough to bring down a small plane or tropical storms downgraded from hurricanes.

Proper site selection, and dropping the fly corners as low as possible should be able to handle nearly any rainstorm.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    (SNIP) I like a bigger tarp. The Hennessy Asym tarps just seem a little "thin" as the ends taper and there isn't a whole lot of overhang on the sides towards the ends. Wind driven rain is my concern--- a light shower with little or no wind is fine, but if you get a good blow, I would want something like that Old Man Winter tarp. I'm a big chicken and I don't like getting wet in my shelter Note the bigger tarps that Hennessy offers, along with his stories of getting caught in a blow.
    (SNIP)
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    My only issue with the smaller tarps (any variety) is that if it continues to rain I prefer to have a little room to move around in while I'm NOT in my hammock. But I agree that with proper planning and site selection even the smallest HH tarp is adequate protection. One of my favorite tarps is a coyote brown HH silnylon hex tarp.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I've read a lot of people saying the stock tarp will keep you dry...just as long as you stay in your hammock. I don't necessarily want to always be stuck in my hammock....if I'm hanging around camp and it's raining I want to be able to relax, cook, hang out with a buddy under the tarp and the larger tarp will be nice I think. Another reason I opted for a large tarp with doors is because I plan to use my hammock in the winter too.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I guess you don't worry about critters visiting that tasty smelling hammock. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast