Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

Ridge Runner for a Bigger Guy

To set the stage, I am about 275lbs, a little more then the weight rating for the ridge runner on Brandons website, and I have a 50 inch chest. After a few conversations with Brandon, I settled on a DL Ridge Runner with heavier bars. Brandon was good enough to offer a set of these bars at no additional charge, after I expressed how much I detested gathered end hammocks and that I had a very hard time finding a bridge hammock that met my needs.

First off, set up was a breeze. After a thorough inspection of the build quality (more on that later), i got in. In a word wow! The lay was flat and super comfortable, there was no hyper extension at the back of the knee, very little shoulder pinch despite my dimensions, and probably more encouragingly it held my weight without ripping or breaking the bars. It will be interesting to see how this all holds up over time mind you, but the initial results were very encouraging.

The build quality was also top notch with just a few personal notes. I felt like the saddle bags were on backwards, like the deeper part should have been toward the foot end. Otherwise I had to roll onto my side to reach the deepest part as they stand now. Brandon is it possible to get this as an option?

Secondly and as I said earlier it held my weight and was super comfortable but the ends of the webbing only have 2 small, very small, bar tacks, just for my peace of mind, as a bigger guy, and I am sure others a third or forth wouldn't add much production time or cost, but would give a huge confidence boost for the consumer. Before anyone corrects me or does some math, this is a point of personal comfort, nothing else.

I love that the bug net can basically disappear when you don't want it. But I felt like the triangles were unnecessarily long. I see that others have posted on this as well and some have gone as far as to do some math. I guess my question is why that long in the first place. Was there a reason? Currently their length limits the minimum tree distance I can work with with. Although this is rarely a problem it does mean I have to build a new hammock stand as my 12' one is too short now.

Overall, and despite the small items above, I would recommend this hammock to anyone and especially if you are a bigger guy looking to get out of the gathered ends.

Brandon did a great job and the amount of research and hard work really shows. I have laid in just about every bridge hammock out there and I have built a few of my own over the years , and this is hands down my favorite.

Ryvr
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the review! So.....are you saying the limiting factor for the ridgerunner (as far as weight goes) is the spreader bars, not the fabric? Very interesting. As far as the suspension triangle length goes, I think the size of the triangle determines how much stress is on the spreader bar---correct me if Im wrong, but a shorter suspension triangle will put more stress on the spreader bar?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    The Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Buckle
    Images
    I also would think shorter suspension would decrease stability?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cmplpwilt View Post
    I also would think shorter suspension would decrease stability?
    Not sure on that one-------but I do know that when you take the 4 inch section out of the head end spreader bar, you hang lower and its alot more stable. Kind of nice in the winter because the UQ wraps around you! (but I prefer the shoulder room the spreader gives you with the extension installed)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    "I love that the bug net can basically disappear when you don't want it. But I felt like the triangles were unnecessarily long. I see that others have posted on this as well and some have gone as far as to do some math. I guess my question is why that long in the first place. Was there a reason? Currently their length limits the minimum tree distance I can work with with. Although this is rarely a problem it does mean I have to build a new hammock stand as my 12' one is too short now. "

I would not decrease the length of the suspension for two reasons:

1. You stated you're a heavier guy. Decreasing the length of the triangles puts more pressure on the spreader bar, giving a higher liklihood of failure. I know it's frustrating having a hammock with the span of this one, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by changing the triangle length.

2. Shortening them will decrease stability, it makes the hammock feel tippy. I tried this, I know. If you really, really want to mess with them look for a post by Acer regarding shortening them. I know others (including myself) have shortened them. Personally, I returned them to their stock length and called it good. Brandon did a great job designing this hammock for comfort and utility which was good enough for me in the end.

Happy hanging.
    Travel Journal: http://clackstont100.weebly.com/

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CB200T View Post
    "I love that the bug net can basically disappear when you don't want it. But I felt like the triangles were unnecessarily long. I see that others have posted on this as well and some have gone as far as to do some math. I guess my question is why that long in the first place. Was there a reason? Currently their length limits the minimum tree distance I can work with with. Although this is rarely a problem it does mean I have to build a new hammock stand as my 12' one is too short now. "

I would not decrease the length of the suspension for two reasons:

1. You stated you're a heavier guy. Decreasing the length of the triangles puts more pressure on the spreader bar, giving a higher liklihood of failure. I know it's frustrating having a hammock with the span of this one, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by changing the triangle length.

2. Shortening them will decrease stability, it makes the hammock feel tippy. I tried this, I know. If you really, really want to mess with them look for a post by Acer regarding shortening them. I know others (including myself) have shortened them. Personally, I returned them to their stock length and called it good. Brandon did a great job designing this hammock for comfort and utility which was good enough for me in the end.

Happy hanging.
    +1 on everything above. I am a light weight,,165 wet. If you do decide to decrease, take it a 1" at a time, and take care in doing so. Happy Hanging.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    So.....are you saying the limiting factor for the ridgerunner (as far as weight goes) is the spreader bars, not the fabric?
    There will be limit to how much the fabric will hold, much testing would be needed but I would say off hand that the fabric would be good to 300lbs. I only say this because I used a very similar fabric in my DIY bridges and at a time when I was an even bigger guy (305 LBS).

That said the bigger you are the shorter the life span of your gear. Bigger people are already familiar with this anyway. Our clothes don't last as long, our shoes wear out faster and so on.

Take it all with a grain of salt of course, your individual mileage may vary, but for the Ridge Runner's part it is an awesome hammock that could use a few tweaks.

Ryvr
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Images
    The length of the suspension triangles is to reduce force on the spreader bars, the force is higher due to the extreme spread...the spreader bars are almost as wide as the fabric under your shoulders, the closer that ratio gets to 1:1, the more force on the bars and the larger the suspension triangle needs to be, a hammock like the JRB can get away with a much smaller suspension triangle because their spread ratio is alot less. The larger suspension triangle also helps with stability and make it harder to tip

As for the backtacks on the corner buckles, there is also 2 more lines of stitching running the other direction between those 2 backtacks, but due to the slightly loose weave in the webbing it's very hard to see unless you flip it over and look at the backside.

Images
    the poles are more limiting than the fabric i think, but the most limiting factor may be size/space, bigger folks may feel the whole thing is too narrow and why we origioally put a limit at 250 . i reluctantly sold Ryvr this hammock figuring he'd find it too small but he was persistant and with the fatter head pole i didn't feel like he would break anything.

we have had a couple head poles (standard size) break on folks in the 225-250 range so we'll now be offering the beefier head pole for folks over 200 lbs, i think it adds 1.6oz to the pole weight

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    I definitely was persistent but I'm glad I was, like I said it is a great hammock.

Thanks for the reply on the other items Brandon, but I can't help but notice you glazed over the saddle bags.

Ryvr

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast