Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images

Tweeking my Tadpole

I needed to hang my suspension today for some adjustments and when finished decided to play around with other options using my Swag. The Swag is part of my carry system, link below, basically a 5' x 7' mini tarp. At the Florida hang it allowed me to close off the windward end of the tarp making the Hang much more comfortable at 23 & 24 degrees F on two of the mornings. The original swag was made of silnylon and proved to be a chore to roll my kit up in with all the slipping and sliding. As a result I made a second of a coated polyester material which is much easier to roll.

The first attempt was with the tarp in porch mode and consisted of closing the ends off leaving the front open. This provided a large amount of room to lounge, cook, keep gear dry, etc. while still providing a view. Took me a while to get the rigging right but goes up pretty quick once that was sorted out. The second is in full lockdown mode. The only two trees I have to work with are in the shade but we are in the low 80s F today and it was heating up by the time I stepped inside. This would be perfect for some more cold weather if we get any more this winter.

Probably wouldn't carry both the old and new Swag every trip but at 9.6 oz. for the new poly Swag and 7.4 oz. for the old with both my load would still be under 15 lbs. less food and water.

Link for the Swag & Dilly thread. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=81422
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Good job. I will be doing something with my tadpole and hh hex. I have been thinging of something like this. I thought about detatchable doors or sewn doors. The thing I dont like about the detatchable doors is set up and coverage. I thought about a completly closed side or sides.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    Good job. I will be doing something with my tadpole and hh hex. I have been thinging of something like this. I thought about detatchable doors or sewn doors. The thing I dont like about the detatchable doors is set up and coverage. I thought about a completly closed side or sides.
    I've got the HH Hex, and had 2QZQ sew on doors...well worth it, as long as you're not concerned about always carrying the doors even when you don't think you'll need them.

Adding velcro on them helps to completely seal off the ends from wind/rain/snow as needed.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Are you still using that FroggToggs poncho for rain gear, olddog? If so, you've got yourself both Grizz Beaks already on you...

Either way, yet another great option to add to your kit! I'm glad that it's working out for you.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    Thanks miyanc. I wasn't really looking at doors. Once unloaded the Swag is just an empty 5' x 7' tarp to be folded and stuffed in the Dilly. The Florida Hang gave me the chance to see how it would work as an end closure. Making them myself allowed me to place loops and ties where needed. The new Swag even has channels to allow use as an undercover. Under normal conditions here in Florida they wouldn't be used at all but it's nice to multipurpose items when the need does arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I've got the HH Hex, and had 2QZQ sew on doors...well worth it, as long as you're not concerned about always carrying the doors even when you don't think you'll need them.

Adding velcro on them helps to completely seal off the ends from wind/rain/snow as needed.
    We don't have the conditions in winter hammocking that you do so permanently attached doors just aren't worth the weight. Weight was the guiding impetus in even considering the Swag & Dilly. Transitioning from a 5+ lb. pack to a 11.5 oz. S&D was heavenly. Plus it forced me to unload some of that 'I gotta have gear' that I really didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Are you still using that FroggToggs poncho for rain gear, olddog? If so, you've got yourself both Grizz Beaks already on you...

Either way, yet another great option to add to your kit! I'm glad that it's working out for you.
    Thanks FLRider, Yeah I carry the Froggtogg but it's in the dilly ready to don if necessary. Hadn't thought about using it for other than a poncho.The S&D might work on your bicycle.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Thanks FLRider, Yeah I carry the Froggtogg but it's in the dilly ready to don if necessary. Hadn't thought about using it for other than a poncho.The S&D might work on your bicycle.
    That it might. On the other hand, if I'm not going to be attaching my pack to the seat post like I normally do, I think that rackless frame bags might be the best way to go. I've finally got my gear volume down to the point where I think I might be able to fit everything but water into a seat bag, an handlebar bag, a frame triangle bag, a gas tank, a feeder bag, and a map case (~35 to 40L total). Water can go into a Camelbak like what I do now.

That'd be better weight distribution overall than either my pack or an S&D set-up. Here's hoping...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Nice and functional! Maybe one day I will think like you and not be traditional!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Nice and functional! Maybe one day I will think like you and not be traditional!
    Sounds like some campfire conversation to me.

• + New Posts