Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    I have made everything for my hammock, or traded for it, with the exception of my underquilt and sleeping bag.

I figure I've only spent maybe $100 on hammock stuff.(not including the stand which cost me $130 to make)

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Eurohike Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY sleepingbag UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I've found hammocks are cheap, it's the extra comfort that costs.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    I outfitted my ground rig cheaper than I will be able to outfit my hammock rig.
    I will however be able to sleep better for sure! There was always a good supply of used cheap ground based gear from new Hammock Hangers!
    I am however starting to think about how all this hammock gear is going to fit into my old trusty Nimbus Ozone. That is why they call it a hobby!

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree straps & CRL
    I started with a $20 WM hammock and a $10 WM blue tarp. Ridgeline, tree straps, and tie downs were all from existing cordage on hand, stakes came from my tent. My first night I was out $30 on equipment.

Over the past year I have upgraded to an ENO dbl nest, Noahs 12x12 tarp, amsteel whoopies, amsteel CRL for tarp, amsteel tie-downs, amsteel lanyard for name tag, ultralight cook stove, GMI cook set, bug net, 8' collapsible poles for tarp (you never know), a nice carpet to step on getting in and out of hammock, a water filter, a foldable shovel, a $100 flashlight, a head light, a really big bag of dryer lint, water-proof matches, bic lighters, sparking tool, a DIY first aid kit, a compass, a gps, a bug hat, a DIY UQ, a DIY top quilt, a boat load of carabiners, a needle and thread, a thread injector, a Gerber folding knife, several wood poles for a DIY hammock stand, a 3lb dead blow hammer, a second cooking stove, a collapsible sink, camping soap, and a backpack to put some of all of this in.

Its a sickness ... its just a sickness ... I can't help it ... help ... someone ... anyone?

Ooohhh, look! a Noahs 16x16. I need that!

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    With all the expensive hammocks I already own. All I can seriously say is, " Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on a sinner like me."

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawktx View Post
    I started with a $20 WM hammock and a $10 WM blue tarp. Ridgeline, tree straps, and tie downs were all from existing cordage on hand, stakes came from my tent. My first night I was out $30 on equipment.

Over the past year I have upgraded to an ENO dbl nest, Noahs 12x12 tarp, amsteel whoopies, amsteel CRL for tarp, amsteel tie-downs, amsteel lanyard for name tag, ultralight cook stove, GMI cook set, bug net, 8' collapsible poles for tarp (you never know), a nice carpet to step on getting in and out of hammock, a water filter, a foldable shovel, a $100 flashlight, a head light, a really big bag of dryer lint, water-proof matches, bic lighters, sparking tool, a DIY first aid kit, a compass, a gps, a bug hat, a DIY UQ, a DIY top quilt, a boat load of carabiners, a needle and thread, a thread injector, a Gerber folding knife, several wood poles for a DIY hammock stand, a 3lb dead blow hammer, a second cooking stove, a collapsible sink, camping soap, and a backpack to put some of all of this in.

Its a sickness ... its just a sickness ... I can't help it ... help ... someone ... anyone?

Ooohhh, look! a Noahs 16x16. I need that!
    I laughed so hard that I cried all the way through the reading of this post - I think I have every one of those items!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I added up the retail value in my gear-room a few months ago. I'm still weeping.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    So are motorcycles and especially Adventure Tourers with upgrades. Question; Have you ever seen a motorcycle parked in the patient section of a Psychiatrists office? Pretty much the same for hammocks I'll wager. I rest my case...
    So true so true....Guess I'm giving myself some of that preventative therapy this weekend by motorcycle hammock camping on Mount Rogers. Ahhh I feel better already just thinking about it
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    As a retiree on a limited hobby fund and too many hobbies, it was neccessary for me to keep the cost down. In six months I have made 2 hammocks, 1 PLUQ, indoor stand, bugnet, double fleece top blankets, modified an old nylon tarp, alky stove and heiny pot. No single item on this list cost over $25.00. The most expensive thing was the 60' of 1/8" amsteel last week. One thing I do have that some may not is the time, and this is when you may have to spend more money. Nothing here is that hard to make and the sewing machine is just a machine. What I have learned on the forum and accomplished I will cherish the rest of my life. And that is priceless.
    Last edited by olddog; 07-26-2011 at 21:54. Reason: add
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    As a retiree on a limited hobby fund and too many hobbies, it was neccessary for me to keep the cost down. In six months I have made 2 hammocks, 1 PLUQ, indoor stand, bugnet, double fleece top blankets, modified an old nylon tarp, alky stove and heiny pot. No single item on this list cost over $25.00. The most expensive thing was the 60' of 1/8" amsteel last week. One thing I do have that some may not is the time, and this is when you may have to spend more money. Nothing here is that hard to make and the sewing machine is just a machine. What I have learned on the forum and accomplished I will cherish the rest of my life. And that is priceless.
    Olddog -- What would you sell that same equipment for if you were trying to make a living off of your skills?
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast