currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an

help with uq and uqp

Spent last night outside in backyard with my night owl and zeppelin full length uq and my uqp. Temps were from 33-37 degrees. Stayed toast warm. Had my enlightened equipment tq too. PROBLEM is tho when I awoke this am had the normal condensation on my tq but between my uq and my uqp it was soaked. Now it was misty outside with some light rain but mu uqp was totally wet??? I did have it snugged up pretty tight with the uq. Any sugge or thoughts why it got so wet? The inside of the uq was nice and dry. The outside was good and wet. Only thing I could think of was that the uqp was too tight and and I generated enough body heat to cause serious condensation or i don't know why but the hammock gods were not happy with me. Lol. I was so freaked out that I grabbed it off the hammock and brought it in too dry. The UQ that is!
    Thanks for your help
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I think its a function of a relatively high dew point.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Is it silnylon? Hang it a bit looser.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I think its a function of a relatively high dew point.
    Thanks I certainly can understand that
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Is it silnylon? Hang it a bit looser.
    Shug
    its the breathable one, from 2qzq, and i do believe it is more of condensation as the uq is dry already, again tonight!
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    Thanks I certainly can understand that

its the breathable one, from 2qzq, and i do believe it is more of condensation as the uq is dry already, again tonight!
    Pretty impressive negative results. The good news is that you did not have to pack it up wet and hike all day before setting up the next nights camp.

Condensation can be a perplexing thing. Why one night and not the next? I guess you have already used this set up, or was this the 1st night with the UQP? Plus, you already had 2 breathable shells your body vapor had to pass through(inner and outer UQ shell), so why would adding one more breathable shell cause so much condensation? Or did the moisture some how actually come in from the outside? I'd be real interested to know which one it was for you?

Reminds me of 2 things:
    1: when some people have trouble with condensation in the HHSS, even when apparently correctly using the space blanket. While others of of have never seen any. What's up with that?
    2: My friend on 2 different trips, one with a TQ (suddenly can't remember what the under insulation was, a pad?) in the 40s-50s and maximum humidity, and another time with a 55F Pea Pod boosted with a pad under the hammock(in the pod) in the 20/30s. Both trips he never saw any moisture, but his down was loosing significant loft by the end of the 5 days. I guess there was internal condensation. On the trip where we both had Pea Pods, I also had a torso sized piece of CCF foam pad either down in the pod or under my legs just for the heck of it. I did not have the same problems. Why not? Who knows?

But, one thing we can all easily observe: when warm vapor (from our bodies or wherever) hits a cold enough surface, it tends to condense into liquid. This can even happen on something as breathable as fleece, as with Shug's fleece frost bib, or even with mosquito netting.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-20-2013 at 10:39.

Images
    Spent last night outside in backyard with my night owl and zeppelin full length uq and my uqp. Temps were from 33-37 degrees. Stayed toast warm. Had my enlightened equipment tq too. PROBLEM is tho when I awoke this am had the normal condensation on my tq but between my uq and my uqp it was soaked. Now it was misty outside with some light rain but mu uqp was totally wet??? I did have it snugged up pretty tight with the uq. Any sugge or thoughts why it got so wet? The inside of the uq was nice and dry. The outside was good and wet. Only thing I could think of was that the uqp was too tight and and I generated enough body heat to cause serious condensation or i don't know why but the hammock gods were not happy with me. Lol. I was so freaked out that I grabbed it off the hammock and brought it in too dry. The UQ that is!
    Thanks for your help
    So it never got below freezing the whole night.
    Sure sounds like dew to me. The humidity in the air condensing on everything.
    I'll bet everything was wet, both sides of the tarp, your car, the house.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Pretty impressive negative results. The good news is that you did not have to pack it up wet and hike all day before setting up the next nights camp.

Condensation can be a perplexing thing. Why one night and not the next? I guess you have already used this set up, or was this the 1st night with the UQP? Plus, you already had 2 breathable shells your body vapor had to pass through(inner and outer UQ shell), so why would adding one more breathable shell cause so much condensation? Or did the moisture some how actually come in from the outside? I'd be real interested to know which one it was for you?

But, one thing we can all easily observe: when warm vapor (from our bodies or wherever) hits a cold enough surface, it tends to condense into liquid. This can even happen on something as breathable as fleece, as with Shug's fleece frost bib, or even with mosquito netting.
    Thanks BIllyBob,
    I have came to the conclusion it was a confluence of events..lol
    I think Red hit it on the nailhead there with the dew point.. it was high and misty all night with drizzling rain on and off..then i believe i did have the uqp too tight (or drawn up) to the underquilt. Third I believe that once again being too cautious in the need for thermal goodness I was actually creating a way too high of thermal exchange...with the 20* uq full length and no venting along with a 20* tq..
    so it was very much alot of dew from nature along with a little help from me,.once i brought the quilt in it dried in just few minutes, going back out there a couple hours later the uqp and the night owl still are damp..
    and yes OUTNBACK, dew everywhere and it is still misting.but temps are suppose to drop.. so we will see tonight after work..
    all i could think about when i went back out there to rehang quilt and let everything sit for a bit before work..(just to see) was how do those people do it in the northwest where its like this all the time?
    i was wondering tho if i left off the uqp at these temps would that help? i do believe so so if it doesnt get too cold tonight i will try this!

but btw i slept great!!!! so all in all still learning and thats really what the backyard lab is for anyway...right?
    Last edited by mountainhanger; 12-20-2013 at 11:24. Reason: added comment

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

hypothesis

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ...when warm vapor (from our bodies or wherever) hits a cold enough surface, it tends to condense into liquid...
    Basically condensation occurs from lack of evaporation. Normally, there is plenty of warmth, or enough air movement to effect the evaporation process. The high dewpoint means you would need a little greater air movement and/or heat radiation out from the UQ.

Was it a 20 degree UQ? If so, I'm going to hypothesize that you were wearing too many clothes. If that might be the case, let me know and I'll explain.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Basically condensation occurs from lack of evaporation. Normally, there is plenty of warmth, or enough air movement to effect the evaporation process. The high dewpoint means you would need a little greater air movement and/or heat radiation out from the UQ.

Was it a 20 degree UQ? If so, I'm going to hypothesize that you were wearing too many clothes. If that might be the case, let me know and I'll explain.
    yes it was a 20* full length underquilt..please do explain, as it seems to me that is my hardest area to tweak in..thanks

Images
    i was wondering tho if i left off the uqp at these temps would that help? i do believe so so if it doesnt get too cold tonight i will try this!

but btw i slept great!!!! so all in all still learning and thats really what the backyard lab is for anyway...right?
    Hi MH,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of backyard hammock gear testing.
    It's as addictive as stove collecting and testing.

I look forward to your new test results.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast