Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefstryker View Post
    The model I tried out is the explorer deluxe asym.
    I have a HH and the velcro slit is not a comfort issue for me. I sleep on the diagonal with my head to the left and feet to the right. I lay half on my back/half on my side. Sometimes I'll bring my right leg up in a figure 4 in front of the slit. It is just there and I found a way to get comfortable around it because it's way better than sleeping on the ground.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Hey Chief, Welcome! I have never tried an HH before, but I use a homemade speer hammock, they are cheap to make (if you can sew), and might not be bad just to try it out.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    If you lie diagonally in the hammock the velcro strip should not give you much hassle. If it really bothers you you can either add a pad inside the hammock (the $5 blue WalMart CCF pad works great. In the camping section.) or get a top entry hammock.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Hammock Diving??
    No, my signature.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

First time hanging

Just got back from hiking the Smokies and Trail Days. I finally tried out all my home-made gear and did very well with it. I made a G4 pack, hammock and hammock sock, bugnet, tarp, and 6.5 oz. cook kit . All of it worked very well and was very light weight. I went out at 27 lbs. fully loaded, with 6 days dehydrated food, including hamburger, beans, rice, ramen, gravy mixes and drink mixes. Hung out 1 night on the trail and 3 nights at TD. I got the best sleep in all the times I've been on the trail. And the good thing is, I can still go down in weight because most of my hammock stuff is made with Wallyworld fabric, which is heavy. I plan to buy lighter material now that I know it all works, and start all over again. But I enjoy making things anyway, so that's no big deal. Thanks to all on Hammock Forums and Whiteblaze for all the good input and info, it really helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefstryker View Post
    The only problem I had was getting comfortable around that bloody velcro strip for the bottom entry.
    One thought that comes to mind is that perhaps having the head end of the hammock slightly lower than the foot end (where the velcro slit is located) will help this issue - because your body will be shifted more toward the head end there will be more room at the foot end to avoid the velcro.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Welcome to the hanging gang ....

If you don't likr the velcro you could remove it ... it is not necessary except to keep it bug free when empty.... You can fix that by tossing a couple pounds of gear in to reserve the bug free envirionment until you are ready to remove it and climb in for the nite.

Develop and use a good bottom insulation plan before you spend a miserable nite when the temp drops.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

I hear alot about this bottom insulation system, does this mean a 20 degree bag will not be enough if I am inside it? do I need more insulation? Or combined with hanging closer to the ground will I be alright?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen McGarrahan View Post
    I hear alot about this bottom insulation system, does this mean a 20 degree bag will not be enough if I am inside it? do I need more insulation? Or combined with hanging closer to the ground will I be alright?
    When you are inside a sleeping bag in a hammock, your weight compresses the loft of the bag against the hammock itself, thus creating cold spots. To make up for this, you can use pads (ccf usually) in layers to help build up more insulation beneath you. A popular option for hammocks, though, has been to move away from typical bags and to use uderquilts that are suspended with the hammock itself. Because they are outside of the hammock itself, you get the benefit of their loft not being compressed and so they retain a larger amount of their insulating properties than a typical bag. Additionally, some people actually use down hammocks which actually have the quilt-loft sewn into the bottom of the hammock itself. Mind that there are a multitude of options for bottom insulation, and everyone seems to have their own preference. But, in general, using underquilts/topquilts/pads seems to be the most popular.

Does anyone have any pictures, of the HH tarp tied to a tree?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast