Tarp
    BPWD 9x9 RECT
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix +DIYTQ
    Suspension
    WBBB Stock Straps
    Images

Recent Zip Convert

I've been using my HH Explorer Ultralite for the past 2 years and enjoyed the bottom entry well enough. When I saw the Zipper Mods by 2QZQ I went with the Mod 2 option (Full zip one side, 1/2 zip on the other with tie-backs for the bug netting where it's still permanently attached). I chose not to sew the bottom shut simply because I like having the option there, just in case. I have not really tried the new mod in the field yet, just in my basement trials in and out, zipping it up from the inside, and setting things up seem easy. I do like the versatility of being able to just get in without having to crawl up and in through the slit, just plop right down once the bug nettting is zipped back. The thing I like best is that it gives that extra bit of versatility without having to have a separate bug net to set up, or not having a bug net at all when you need it.

And for all you gram weenies out there, after replacing the ropes with whoopies (my first hammock mod ever ) it's still lighter than it was stock

-Sap
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum. -- O'Toole's Corollary of Finagle's Law

Hammock
    HH Explorer asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    whilst I am fairly new to Hammocks, I have to admit that i love the bottom entry, I just find it easier.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    It is the bottom entry that allows the standard tarp to work so well. In inclement weather, you can basically bring the tarp down right on top of the netting without affecting the entry/exit at all. Pulled down enough, no matter how bad the weather, even with the small size of the tarp, weather really can't get into the hammock.

Much harder (or impossible) to do this with side entry.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    It is the bottom entry that allows the standard tarp to work so well. In inclement weather, you can basically bring the tarp down right on top of the netting without affecting the entry/exit at all. Pulled down enough, no matter how bad the weather, even with the small size of the tarp, weather really can't get into the hammock.

Much harder (or impossible) to do this with side entry.
    Agreed. I use the hex tarp, but in lousy weather I pull the sides of the tarp down low...and love that I can get in and out without having to fuss or bump against them.

Still planning on the 2QZQ mod sometime soon, 'cause I'd like the idea of being able to reach out of the hammock at need as well, especially while in porch mode.

Images
    I agree with others about the bottom entry for bug season. That sold me on the HH; I find no skitters coming in with me, but when tenting, there's always a few. Also what Alamosa said about being able to bring the tarp down when weather gets stormy. I've had only the standard tarp in some nasty weather and stayed dry.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    You didn't. Us happy folks don't say much. It's the few folks who are not happy that do the most posting with all the things they change or want changed.
    That strikes me as one of the best responses I've ever read on any forum.

Cheers,
    Dave

Hammock
    Hennesey Hyperlite side zip
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat
    Insulation
    DIY undercover
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you use shock cord for tarp tie outs it is not impossible to get in with tarp down snug. While it is a bit inconvienient with a little care it is no big deal!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I met with a lady in our Florida Trail chapter today to loan her my Explorer Ultralight. She had a double knee replacement last year and just made her first hike last month. She said she absolutely loved the bottom-entry because it was so much easier to get out of than her tent.

I don't mind bottom-entry during the summer but prefer side-entry for winter with things hanging underneath. I realized today with the Jarbridge underneath it's a little trickier getting around the shock cord for the UQ.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Dutch hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    HG Underquilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I used lint from the dryer myself. so it can be easily undone.

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    I loved my bottom entry. I sewed a loop so I could sit in the hammock and then suspend my hiking boots right underneath the hammock.
    I found it easy. Walk in/turn/sit/lay back. even though I'm a pad user, I still never had a problem getting situated for the night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast