Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Smile Snake Skins? Do or Don't

Just wondering what everyones opinions are about snake skins. Pros and Cons. Im thinking about getting or making Python Skins and I would use them for my hammock with under quilt and sleeping bag inside.
    Just looking for tips.
    Thanks everyone

Hike Your Own Hike

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I've only ever used them on a Hennessy Exped I once had, they seemed to work okay in that system but I wasn't over keen on the lump you got after packing the snake.

I've thought about making some for my Superfly but I prefer to stuff it into a bishop bag

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    I've only ever used them on a Hennessy Exped I once had, they seemed to work okay in that system but I wasn't over keen on the lump you got after packing the snake.

I've thought about making some for my Superfly but I prefer to stuff it into a bishop bag
    I would use it withe my Hennessy Exped. I am also contemplating using mesh skins for my Oldman winter tarp.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think you might want to look at this......http://wildernesslogics.com/THE-LAZY...-Lazy-Slug.htm
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've got skins, and I like them well enough. It makes deploying and packing a breeze.

The thing I like about them is that I can deploy my hammock & rainfly at once. Then if it begins to rain and I don't want to be in the hammock, I can move the skins under the rainfly and package the hammock back up to give me space under the tarp.It would be beneficial if me and the lady wanted to be under one tarp during the storm etc...

Also, packing the hammock up with the snake skins into a neat bundle can be tricky, but it IS very doable. Once I'm done I have a neatly packaged bundle that never touched the ground. The bundle measures to roughly a 16"x6"DIA. (This is an estimate. I can verify when I get home if anyone is interested.)

They are a bit heavier than I'd like, but I was pondering the idea of cuben fiber skins...

Edit: I'm also not running a UQ, if I was I might rethink the strategy.

I use them on my HH Expedition, and they are a snap. The hammock is packaged, and I can wrap the snake around a pack, or stuff it in a sack, or whatever. Super convenient.

I liked it so much that I bought a second pair to use on my HH Hex tarp. That is not as easy. If you try to use a separate ridge line the way Dereck Hansen showed us, with the "V" coming from the tree to connect at the tarp main loop, the skins can only be at the loop, ready to pull forward. They did not go on as cleanly as I would have liked. I need to work with it more. For now, it is a pain to work out.

Bottom line, it makes working with the hammock much easier. I would recommend it.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    HH Explorer deluxe & WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG 0° Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies or ropes
    I had a pair of snakeskins on my Explorer Deluxe, and one another for my Hex tarp.

Now I use the skins with the tarp only, I find a bishop bag way easier/convenient to use for the hammock and mainly less bulky; I am even considering a bishop bag for the tarp too…

It is a nice idea, but I don't like it that much.

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    I have them on all my tarps. I don't really make the v on both sides of my tarp ridge line. One side is a Dutch hook that just goes around the tree the other side is a Dutch tarp fly so it makes a v. The noise the suspension makes is only noticeable when it's really windy. My tarp skins fit on just fine. I stick with the bishops bag and stuff sacks for the hammock and quilts

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I use DIY Lazy Slug Tubes (the ones linked by Shug above), and they're wonderfully convenient. What they're not is very compressable or super ultralight. But, the weight can be ameliorated by using lighter materials than I did (I went with 200d coated Cordura, since it's part of the exterior of my pack, and I wanted it abrasion-resistant).

Anyway, they're exceptionally convenient for set-up and take-down, and they offer some weather protection at the ends of the hammock as well as a convenient "shelf" space.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I use skins on my hex tarp, and a seperate set of skins on my HH Explorer Deluxe hammock.

This gives me TONS of versatility, depending on the weather.

If the weather is nice...I leave the tarp skinned over my hammock so I can enjoy the breeze and view.

If it's rainy/stormy and I'm trying to sleep...everything is deployed and the skins act as drip loops keeping the water from running down my lines onto me.

If it's storming during the day and I don't plan on moving...I pull my sleeping bag out of my hammock and skin my hammock up in place...giving me lots of dry workspace under the tarp to cook/socialize.

So I can pretty much use the whole setup in whatever fashion works best for me at the time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast