DIY Ripstop nylon
    Tarp
    DIY sil argon
    Insulation
    DIY syn UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Upper Michigan hike planning

Hello everybody, My cousin and I are wanting to hike and camp up in the U.P. in the next month or so. The problem is... we don't know much about it. We would like to do the north country trail section that runs along lake superior. from what I can tell it's the Cascade Falls to Ironwood section. We are looking for some views of lake superior and decent hiking maybe 7-12 miles a day. Has anyone hiked this area? Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start, where to camp? Also does anyone have any suggestions on getting maps? I've been to the website, are those maps sufficient for trip planning? Thanks for your help!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I've hiked the lake shore trail in porcupine mts park and I've hiked the lake shore trail along the pictured rocks from Grand Marais MI to Munising. Much better views on the pictured rocks trail. Not that the porcupine area isn't beautiful, just that I prefered pictured rocks.... much more on the shore. Also in Munising is Grand Island, another beautiful area well worth your time.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Diy rip stop
    Tarp
    DIY Ripstop hex
    Insulation
    diy climashld UQTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jrs62284 View Post
    Hello everybody, My cousin and I are wanting to hike and camp up in the U.P. in the next month or so. The problem is... we don't know much about it. We would like to do the north country trail section that runs along lake superior. from what I can tell it's the Cascade Falls to Ironwood section. We are looking for some views of lake superior and decent hiking maybe 7-12 miles a day. Has anyone hiked this area? Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start, where to camp? Also does anyone have any suggestions on getting maps? I've been to the website, are those maps sufficient for trip planning? Thanks for your help!
    DITTO, Also any info on lake of the clouds?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk ATHH
    Tarp
    Sky Tent
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    Byer micro ropes
    Done everything between Marquette and Whitefish Bay, have not done any backpacking along the trail west of Marquette, but that stretch near Ironwoond crosses Black River Harbor. If you end up hiking it be sure to take the side trail upstream and catch the falls. I think there are a series of 4 or 5 of them, some of the prettiest in the state. The maps off the NTC website are great, show distances and camping. We were left scratching our heads along a two-track a couple times, but never got steered too far wrong. If you are looking for suggestions of other stretches I second the Munising to Grand Marais ( or all the way to the Thaquamenon is a great hike if you have the time for it). Also some really nice lakeside stretches and great views along the trail just west of Marquette (Little Garlic Falls to Presque Isle stretch - never been west of Little Garlic so I can"t vouch for the trail past that).

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    I live 20 miles from the Porkies, started hiking in there last year. I'm not sure where you are getting "Cascade falls", the only one I can find in the area is way off. I can understand what Redoleary said about the lake shore hike, not spectacular. I would suggest inland from the lake, there are a bunch of trails in the areas by Lake of the Clouds to Mirror lake, or southwest from there out to the lake. The Escarpment trail and Big Carp river trail have excellent views looking south, it's common to have hawks swirling below you because you are walking a cliff.
    You can't even get in there right now, unplowed roads still have snow and are closed to autos. There is about a foot of snow in the woods now, so in a month it is going to be messy in there. Rivers/falls are going to be FLOWING. Bears are coming out of hibernation, hungry. I'm going to order a topo map soon, http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/, I can send you guys a Porcupine Mtns. Backcountry guide, it is one page with a map of the area showing trails, rivers, camp sites, etc. Send a PM with your address. Also, there is no cell phone service in most of the Porkies, just so you know.

The NCT through the Porcupines are quite nice. Jim Dufresne wrote a great book on them that I used when I went there two years ago. You can't beat the views on the section through Pictured Rocks. I'm heading back up there in June for 5 days.

If you want steady hiking, views of Pictured Rocks, few people and a great place to hang, check out Grand Island. Link to trip report:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69120

Another segment of the NCT that I've heard about from a UP outfitter and plan to do someday, is the section from Grand Marais going east along Lake Superior, then turning south through Tacquemenon Falls.

Enjoy your hike!

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    +1 to Pictured Rocks!
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop nylon
    Tarp
    DIY sil argon
    Insulation
    DIY syn UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Thanks a lot everyone, now you've got my wheels turning! Maybe some better spots in the UP

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images

Smile Are there any waterfalls in the UP? You betcha...

CannonTracks - Northwest Wisconsin Waterfall Tour

Found at ADVRider, a dual sport website, and is GPS tracks to many waterfalls in the UP.

Try Goggle. I do not know how to "get a link", but will try. It is in the Regional Forums / Central / Wisconsin Area Rides.

Hope it is useful.

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    Sorry for my ignorance on not understanding when you mentioned the area of Cascade Falls to Ironwood, I was just now looking at the NCT maps and now know. Thanks for getting me interested in hiking the trail!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast