Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hennessy Jungle Explorer vs Hennessy Deep Jungle XL

I am looking at getting a new Hennessy Hamock. I want to buy a double bottom and was wondering what would be the best one to buy. I am open to suggestions but I have with my limited knowledge possibility narrowed it down to the jungle explorer or the deep jungle XL. Looking for pros and cons. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hammock
    HH Jungle Safari Zip
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon Poly
    Insulation
    HH Pad Wool Fleece
    Suspension
    Stock
    The only con I can think of is that with these specific big double bottomed models, the 4 season HH Super Shelter isn't an option. Either you go with an underquilt, or a Reflectix/space blanket/pad type setup, which is what I'm working on with my Jungle Safari Zip. Absolutely love the hammock, quality is top drawer and it has everything you need and nothing you don't. So well thought out. I have mine set up just outside the house and use it almost daily it's so comfy. I don't want an underquilt so I'm working out the space blanket angle for cold weather. If you're only going to 3 season it, their purpose made reflectix pads or your own method of insulation will work great with either of the two models you're looking at. Call them and they'll take the time to help you out, customer support has been great for me.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Looking at the specs, the main differences are the fabrics used. The Jungle Explorer is made with 2 layers of 40D Nylon and 30D No-See-Um netting - the Deep Jungle XL is made with 2 layers of 30D Nylon66 with polyester reinforced ripstop and 20D No-See-Um netting. The lighter fabrics don't seem to translate into a huge weight saving, though. On paper the DJ XL is only 96g lighter than the JE. I assume that the JE is a little firmer than the DJ XL. But you would need to test both hammocks to see if it makes a big difference for you.

From personal experience I can't recommend HH, though. The hammock body is not very wide, and the cut of the net is very restrictive. I tried the 11' DJ XL next to my 10' WBBB and was negatively surprised that it felt cramped in comparison. And I'm only 5'4". I quite like the larger HH Safari, but had taller people test it and tell me that it feels too small to them (compared to the hammocks they were using). Also, HH are monsters weightwise. My fully specced (WB cinch buckles, WB polyester straps, climbing biners) 1.1 DL WBBB weighs 788g - so only a bit more than half of what the DJ XL weighs. You can save a bit of weight by exchanging the suspension and the stuff sack, but you won't even get close to the weight of other comparable hammocks.

The HHs are not too bad, but in my opinion only entry hammocks. I'd have a closer look at other options if I were you.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Looking at the specs, the main differences are the fabrics used. The Jungle Explorer is made with 2 layers of 40D Nylon and 30D No-See-Um netting - the Deep Jungle XL is made with 2 layers of 30D Nylon66 with polyester reinforced ripstop and 20D No-See-Um netting. The lighter fabrics don't seem to translate into a huge weight saving, though. On paper the DJ XL is only 96g lighter than the JE. I assume that the JE is a little firmer than the DJ XL. But you would need to test both hammocks to see if it makes a big difference for you.

From personal experience I can't recommend HH, though. The hammock body is not very wide, and the cut of the net is very restrictive. I tried the 11' DJ XL next to my 10' WBBB and was negatively surprised that it felt cramped in comparison. And I'm only 5'4". I quite like the larger HH Safari, but had taller people test it and tell me that it feels too small to them (compared to the hammocks they were using). Also, HH are monsters weightwise. My fully specced (WB cinch buckles, WB polyester straps, climbing biners) 1.1 DL WBBB weighs 788g - so only a bit more than half of what the DJ XL weighs. You can save a bit of weight by exchanging the suspension and the stuff sack, but you won't even get close to the weight of other comparable hammocks.

The HHs are not too bad, but in my opinion only entry hammocks. I'd have a closer look at other options if I were you.
    Does that DJ XL weight include the 11 oz tarp?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Does that DJ XL weight include the 11 oz tarp?
    Good question. I had assumed that since the weight of the rainfly is given extra, the first weight would be of the hammock only. But looking at the specs of the Safari, which I own and weighed myself, it seems to include the tarp. So the weights would then be 1182g for the DJ XL and 1207g for the JE in the zipped versions. That's better, but still about 400g heavier than the - in my opinion comparable (in fabrics and room provided) - 1.1 DL BB. If you want to compare it to an 11' hammock, my Dream Hammock Roaming Gnome 1.1 DL did weigh 738g complete with whoopie sling suspension and stuff sack. And I just don't see any advantages that come with the higher weight of the Hennessy Hammocks. I wish they would update their materials and their designs to be more competitive, but the way I see it is that they were very innovative in the beginning and then stopped evolving. A pity because I quite like the whipping and some of their fabrics. But the design of the net and the tie-outs and the extra strong and heavy components are the reasons I won't use my Hennessy anywhere but at home. Occasionally.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You can read my review of the Jungle Explorer here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...0Kurt%20Papke/

It's a fine hammock, very comfortable, and is purpose-built for Very Big Guys. I am 6' 4" and 230 lbs, and IMHO it could easily accommodate another 100lbs without a whimper - I've never seen another hammock I thought was as robust. I took it down to about the freezing point in the High Uintas and was very comfortable with the stock bubble pad.

FWIW I don't often use it much these days - it is quite heavy, overkill for what I really require. OTOH if I put on a few pounds, I'd definitely go back to it.

Just my $0.02 worth.

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    I have many.. use them all
    Tarp
    Fimbul, HH Hex, SF
    Insulation
    Fimbul Twister UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    I own a variety of different hammocks, including two HH's. I find my Deep Jungle XL to be more comfortable than any of them, incuding my WBB XLC. I may have a bit flatter lay in the WBB, but I have no issues with calf ridge in the DJ XL. The fabric is just amazing!
    I have converted the suspension to whoopies though...

I can only give it my warmest recommendations and do not understand the need to mark HH, as an entry hammock?? The quality of my HH's is at least as good, if not better than my WBB, my DD's and my AMOK...
    My HH's doesn't have any loose threads or crooked stitching. In fact I think it looks very professional.

Cheers
    /Rasmus

www.instagram.com/fimbuloutdoors/
    www.fimbuloutdoors.blogspot.dk

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    It's a fine hammock, very comfortable, and is purpose-built for Very Big Guys. I am 6' 4" and 230 lbs, and IMHO it could easily accommodate another 100lbs without a whimper - I've never seen another hammock I thought was as robust.
    That's interesting. I usually take my HH Safari to group hangs, to give people the chance to try hammocks from different manufacturers. According to the specs, the Safari is a foot longer than the Jungle Explorer, but has the same width - and both hammocks are marketed for users as tall as 7'. Not sure what the reasoning behind that is, though, since according to logic the longer one should be suited to taller users than the shorter one. In any case, I quite like it and recommended it to a couple of taller people who wouldn't mind carrying a bit of extra weight if the comfort would justify it. None liked it. They all said they felt cramped, which surprised me. But seeing that with only 5'4" I felt cramped in the 11' Deep Jungle XL, I assumed it had to be the narrow cut, because they didn't feel cramped in other hammocks that were only 11' long.

Quote Originally Posted by Fimbul View Post
    I own a variety of different hammocks, including two HH's. I find my Deep Jungle XL to be more comfortable than any of them, incuding my WBB XLC. I may have a bit flatter lay in the WBB, but I have no issues with calf ridge in the DJ XL. The fabric is just amazing!
    I agree that the DJ's fabric has a nice touch. However, the fabric is a very important but unfortunately not the only factor that determines comfort. I like the HH fold and whipped a couple of my DIY hammocks that way, so my guess is, that it's not the hammock body, but rather the cut of the net. Compared to the WBBB's it's very restrictive. You cannot push your head or feet close to it without feeling squeezed and touching it, which results in a more inline lay. And with 59" the width is not ample even if you could go fully diagonal. I would like to try a wider 11' HH and see if that fixes comfort issues for me.

Which XLCs do you have? I like a firmer lay, and the Heavyweight DL bodies are among my most comfortable hammocks. It took me about half a year to figure out how to hang the BB well, though. That's the biggest drawback with the WB hammocks in my opinion: they're not straightforward to hang, in my experience. You have to be patient and work for your comfort.

I can only give it my warmest recommendations and do not understand the need to mark HH, as an entry hammock??
    There is no "need" to mark anything anything. The OP was asking for opinions - and that is what they got. But about the "entry" part of the question - I would call any equipment "entry level" if some of the following points apply:

• It is equipment that is appealing to people with little experience / knowledge in the respective area because it is easier to pick out,
    • or is more forgiving when used with less skill,
    • or is cheaper
    • and more widely available,
    • does not require as much knowledge of your likes and dislikes,
    • is not as specialized but more versatile.
    • And last but not least: most people who stick with the hobby or activity will move on to other equipment that suits their needs better once they gained more knowledge or developed their tastes.

I wouldn't necessarily say it has anything to do with quality. For me, Hennessy Hammocks fit many of the points, hence I call them entry level gear. I certainly don't mean to depreciate anybody. If one of the Hennessy Hammocks works best for you, I'm honestly happy for you.

The quality of my HH's is at least as good, if not better than my WBB, my DD's and my AMOK...
    My HH's doesn't have any loose threads or crooked stitching. In fact I think it looks very professional.
    While I like straight stitches and neat seams and would prefer all of my hammocks to be sewn perfectly, it's usually not decisive for comfort. You can have a hammock that is sewn beautifully, but that is a terribly uncomfortable. And you can have a terribly sewn hammock that is supremely comfortable. I haven't heard anybody criticize HH for crooked stitching. But I do think that the shape of their integrated bug nets could be greatly improved; that they should start offering lighter and more versatile suspension options; that it doesn't make sense to use heavy-duty, clunky zippers when the fabric will wear out much earlier and a normal zipper will work equally well; or that a considerable amount of the fabrics used are PU-coated. Obviously not every point is equally important and many can be addressed with aftermarket gear.

Images
    I have converted the suspension to whoopies though...

I can only give it my warmest recommendations and do not understand the need to mark HH, as an entry hammock?? The quality of my HH's is at least as good, if not better than my WBB, my DD's and my AMOK...

Cheers
    I more or less have the same opinion. I have purchased a bunch of hammocks since my first one in 2006, a HH Explorer UL. I believe it is just barely shy of 11 ft, and I think the DJ XL I tried out once is exactly 11 ft. But, looking back on my 1st 2 trips, 1 year apart, each about a week of wilderness travel, I'm not sure why I got all those other hammocks. Actually, I do know: I just enjoy playing around with various hammocks and various insulation schemes for them. Plus, I am always a sucker for "this new hammock is the best one ever, and much better than ......". But, just looking at those 1st 2 trips, I have never been more comfortable before or since. I still use, on occasion, a newer HH Expl UL with the HHSS insulation. It may not be my most perfect hammock over all, but I can still get plenty comfy in it.

Like you, I also find that this hammock(HH Expl UL) gives me less issue with calf ridge than many other hammocks I have tried. Some of which are just impossible in that department. In that area my 2007 model Claytor No Net reigns supreme(maybe tied by HH Safari), except if compared to any bridge or a 90* hammock I have been playing with. These last 2 have been the only hammocks for me that absolutely, positively guarantee me no calf ridge. But, I can almost always avoid it in the Claytor. I may get it sometimes in the HH, but I can usually find a position to avoid it. And if not, I just go to my side, especially fetal, which I so often do regardless. And for fetal position, I have not found any hammock more comfy. Also, my first 2 week long trips with a hammock, using the HH Expl UL, I have no memory of calf ridge problems. I just remember sleeping really good.

I did, however, always have complaints about the netting being to close to my face in my old bottom entry model. I came up with a couple of simple mods to solve that. But in my zip model, I seem to have far fewer problems, I think the trick is if I keep my shoulder close to the zipper, feet on the far side of the zipper. But overall, it has been a very good hammock compared to all my others. Maybe not my #1 fav, but I would not hesitate to take it on a trip especially if I was in the mood to use the HHSS insulation. Which I sometimes am.

Hammock
    I have many.. use them all
    Tarp
    Fimbul, HH Hex, SF
    Insulation
    Fimbul Twister UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    I own the heavyweight DL and it might be that firm lay, that bothers me. I've thought about selling it, to get the lighter version instead.

Regarding the "entry thing", I don't mean to point fingers at anybody. In my mind entry level, is a whole different thing. I see DD, TTTM, Exped, Amazonas and other cheap and short hammocks as entry level. Maybe it's because what's easily available here in my country... Up until recently, HH was the top of the pop in Denmark, unless you would want to import some of the american cottage hammocks.

I totally agree with you on the matter of zippers. They are way too big on many of their models! The one on the DJ XL is ok though, according to me.
    I would also like HH to step up and try a new suspension method and maybe come up with a "new hammock"

Best regards
    Rasmus
    Last edited by Fimbul; 09-24-2018 at 00:29.
    /Rasmus

www.instagram.com/fimbuloutdoors/
    www.fimbuloutdoors.blogspot.dk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast