Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Questions concerning choice of size!

Hello!

I am preparing some gear for outdoor activities in Sweden next spring, so theres no rush.
    Its for casual camping only and i value warmth and comfort before lightweight.

I know i want a double layered zip hammock but i cannot decide to go for L or XL, i am a small but heavy person 5’9 and 220!
    I noticed that L and XL has the same width so i would definately be fine with a L lenghtwise, but the weight gets close to the limit, especially if my small daughter wants to join me at some point.
    Then again i am looking at the XL but im afraid it just gets unnecessarily long at the cost of the versatility.

How should i do?
    Also, which tarp do you recommend in the hh shop?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Merback; 09-23-2020 at 00:16.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    I don’t know which model you’re looking at but at 5’9” the “L” would work but I would suggest the XL would be more comfortable.
    Their web site says Large for up to 6’ but that's that only 10’ long. I’m 5’10” and am more comfortable in an 11’ hammock.
    As far as a tarp goes, if you’re set on an HH brand, go with their Hex. Their tarps are heavy at 70D. I would suggest looking around at other venders for a tarp, Dutchwaregear, Hammock Gear, Warbonnet etc.
    Check these numbers from HH. https://hennessyhammock.com/pages/ha...parison-charts
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Im looking at the 4 season expedition / explorer. I like the idea of integrated isolation between the layers, and perhaps i will add an underquilt of some sort if i find myself freezing later on.
    Thanks for the input, i will consider the XL again since we are about the same lenght!
    Right, i will have a look at the other tarps right away, im open for any solution!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 1-Hung-Low View Post
    I don’t know which model you’re looking at but at 5’9” the “L” would work but I would suggest the XL would be more comfortable.
    Their web site says Large for up to 6’ but that's that only 10’ long. I’m 5’10” and am more comfortable in an 11’ hammock.
    As far as a tarp goes, if you’re set on an HH brand, go with their Hex. Their tarps are heavy at 70D.
    I'll double down on the above advice. Definitely get the longer hammock. I'm 69 inches tall and find the regular Expedition somewhat cramped. The Explorer would have been better. The Hennessey Hex in 70D is a fine tarp. Mine has lasted six years so far, but it is heavier than offerings from other vendors. On the other hand, it's priced very competitively.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    I have the 4Season Explorer (XL) and my wife has the 4Season Expedition (L). I'm 5'10 and 220ish these days (thanks Covid) and for having tried both, I much prefer the Explorer (XL). I do fit in the shorter one, but feel much more comfortable in the Explorer.

We also have the 70D Hex tarp, which has done the job so far. I may look at something lighter in the future, but "if it's not broken, don't fix it" for now!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Why do you want a double layer hammock?

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I'll double down on the above advice. Definitely get the longer hammock. I'm 69 inches tall and find the regular Expedition somewhat cramped. The Explorer would have been better. The Hennessey Hex in 70D is a fine tarp. Mine has lasted six years so far, but it is heavier than offerings from other vendors. On the other hand, it's priced very competitively.
    Thank you for the input. Also weight is not a big deal for me at the moment so i will stick to the hex.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
    I have the 4Season Explorer (XL) and my wife has the 4Season Expedition (L). I'm 5'10 and 220ish these days (thanks Covid) and for having tried both, I much prefer the Explorer (XL). I do fit in the shorter one, but feel much more comfortable in the Explorer.

We also have the 70D Hex tarp, which has done the job so far. I may look at something lighter in the future, but "if it's not broken, don't fix it" for now!
    Great, im glad to hear you tried both, i heard enough, xl it is

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Why do you want a double layer hammock?
    I want a double layer because i have had hard times with isolation on top of the layer before so i think this will be a good solution for me, atleast when temperature is allowing me to only use isolation between the layers.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Merback View Post
    I want a double layer because i have had hard times with isolation on top of the layer before so i think this will be a good solution for me, atleast when temperature is allowing me to only use isolation between the layers.
    Same here. I had an Explorer Ultralite XL before, and I got tired of fighting with the thermarest everytime I moved. The 4-Season pad has stayed in place so far, and I slept outside last night at 8C (46F) and my underside was fine, despite being cold above.

That sounds promising to me! And i suppose that when combining a spaceblanket and/or a cheaper underquilt like a snugpak will allow quite a bit harder conditions!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    If your close to the limit in weight, I might worry about a little more stretch going on. Not sure if you like that feeling or not.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast