Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    Have a little patients!
    Little patients are for pediatricians and won't help him here.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Would you be ok with not using the tie-outs? Cuz if so then I would imagine you could set it up the same way that you would with most other hammocks. I have yet to make my own UQ so my knowledge is limited but would be willing to brainstorm abit and see what we could figure out.

As for the slug. I would recommend starting with 40" of fabric. Drape it over the ridge line and pin it up in a tube until you are satisfied with its circumference. You can just toss all the contents that you plan to leave inside the slug, laying in the hammock and take a piece of cordage and wrap in a spiral pattern from end to end to hold the hammock bunched up against the ridge line while you pin up the slug. If you plan on leaving your TQ and UQ inside the slug then I would make one end of the slug slightly larger than the other for ease of use. Don't forget to add few inches to each end for expansion and end channels. I already made that mistake once with my hammock sock.

Anyways, hope everything works out ok..Can't wait to see the finished product.
    my thoughts on the UQ are to add little loops of shock cords at the same points as the tie outs are, just to keep it in place so that it wont shift.. I think using an UQ with the SS is going to be tricky anywho

I got an answer on the slug and I think I know what i'm going to do
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    my thoughts on the UQ are to add little loops of shock cords at the same points as the tie outs are, just to keep it in place so that it wont shift..
    I have been thinking the same thing. I must have opened the zipper a dozen times during the night (at Smoked Butt) to pull up my IXUQ to cover my shoulder.

I agree with what you said about using an UQ with the SS. Probably not the most effective combination. I bought the SS with my Hennessy two months ago and have yet to use it overnight. Having too much fun sewing UQs and stuff. Probably need to sell the SS.

Regards to Mama Lion

Chuck

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    SO I have been thinking of replacing the factory UC with poncho UC. I think doing this the UQ will still hang uncompressed. I hope. I want to keep this type of setup so I can get away with using the factory tarp.hopeing this "all in one" system will work

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    So I've been using the HH Explorer Deluxe, with the HHSS UC and OCF pad for a good while now. I've just ordered a down UQ from one of the cottage vendors, and should get it in this week.

Like you, I've considered whether or not I could use the UC with the UQ. I've pretty much decided that I can't...I believe that the UC is too "small", and would end up compressing the UQ, resulting in a loss of insulative factor.

I think that the best thing to do would be to make or buy a "Underquilt Protector" like those sold by 2QZQ. It's like the UC, only larger and designed with the intent to fit outside of a UQ.

I've also debated on trying to use a space blanket on top of the UQ in the same fashion you do in the HHSS. I'll probably explore that more when cold weather returns in the fall.

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    I put the Underquilt Protector under mine this weekend and it does make a big difference. I also have to secure the ends of my UQ over my hammock or I get a cold spot. THe other thing I do if a cold spot wont go away is to put a piece of reflectex that I always carry right under me where the cold spot is. Seems to work great. I've never used the slug before so I can't help you there. Sorry.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    So I've been using the HH Explorer Deluxe, with the HHSS UC and OCF pad for a good while now. I've just ordered a down UQ from one of the cottage vendors, and should get it in this week.

Like you, I've considered whether or not I could use the UC with the UQ. I've pretty much decided that I can't...I believe that the UC is too "small", and would end up compressing the UQ, resulting in a loss of insulative factor.

I think that the best thing to do would be to make or buy a "Underquilt Protector" like those sold by 2QZQ. It's like the UC, only larger and designed with the intent to fit outside of a UQ.

I've also debated on trying to use a space blanket on top of the UQ in the same fashion you do in the HHSS. I'll probably explore that more when cold weather returns in the fall.
    that's what I plan to do is replace the HH UC with a driducks UC

Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    I put the Underquilt Protector under mine this weekend and it does make a big difference. I also have to secure the ends of my UQ over my hammock or I get a cold spot. THe other thing I do if a cold spot wont go away is to put a piece of reflectex that I always carry right under me where the cold spot is. Seems to work great. I've never used the slug before so I can't help you there. Sorry.
    I have decided that im going to add a second ridgeline outside the bug net so I can hook my UQ adjuster thingy I made to. on my net less hammocks I just use the normal ridgeline its gonna look funny but I think it will work perfect

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12