HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    One other thing i wanted to ask everyone .. is setting up the tarp ropes in freezing temps..... any suggestions for speed to keep your fingers warm? Its too hard to tie with gloves on for me.

What about taking gear down in the am if the ropes are frozen with ice. Any good ideas on how to take down a rig especially tarp knots in cold freezing rain? Any ideas how to do it and not take home all the water from the woods. I took a bag of ice from the ropes and tarp home with me to melt in my pack, trunk and garage. I hate the idea of not taking care of my gear better than that. Also ... with that cold I didn't spend the time preparing the lines and got home with wet frozen and tangled tarp lines and muddy stakes.

thanks!

cooldays
    I use Kelty Triptese rope for all my tarp guylines. It's lightweight, highly visable at night, and holds knots well. I use the traditional taught-line hitch, with 3 wraps for the first throw, for all guylines and leave them in place. My personal standard length is about 10.5 feet (2 arm spans) which allow enough line to tie off to trees, logs, or heavy rocks. For my current back yard set up I had to re-tie all the lines to shorten then for a closer to ground pitch than usual for me. Practice this knot until you can tie it blindfolded with only one hand exposed biefly.

I just started using the Nite-Ize fig 9's for the ridge line only, and so far they are working out well. You still have to know some other traditional tie-off method in case you loose them.

As far as guyline management, I'd like to see small pockets where you can tuck each line away where it attaches to the tarp. I've dreamed of this every time the lines get tangled unwrapping it, the was pleasantly surprised when I found my HH Hex tarp has excellent line pockets. THIS SHOULD BE STANDARD ON ALL TARPS.

This was after a wet 16 inch snowload and all the lines held well. I've now slept out more than 12 days this month. Last night it only got to 0°F, and lowest so far -4°. It's going to be fun trying to get these stakes out!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I like to use a Garda Hitch on my ridgeline. Not as slick as the Figure 9's, but still very quick & easy to setup. As far as my guylines are concerned, I just keep 2 loops permanently tied, one at the end of the rope, the other close to the tarp. This gives me 2 spots to tie from, good for closed or open pitches.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    thank you all so much that was wonderful to read! Lots of good ideas and all are better than 8 knots to tie and untie in the cold! Thanks everyone!

cooldays

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Cooldays... take a look at this... Maybe a little long for winter use.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Hey Opie, have you tried those out in colder weather yet? I had an experience with the JRB STL's (which use the same or similar rubber tensioner as yours I think) earlier this year where the temps got cold (lower 20's) and at least one of them failed on me. Basically lost all elasticity. I'd be curious if anyone else has had that experience.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Cooldays... take a look at this... Maybe a little long for winter use.

I use the glow in the dark line cleats that we had a group buy on here 2 years ago.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    opie,

Thanks for the video! Those look like something I may want to try out in the warmer weather. After all, hammockers gotta play!

What line is that in the video?

cooldays,

Let us know what you end up trying, and how it works for you. Have fun playing! Many of us find that trying things out is half the fun of hammocking!
    It's a process!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Hey Opie, have you tried those out in colder weather yet? I had an experience with the JRB STL's (which use the same or similar rubber tensioner as yours I think) earlier this year where the temps got cold (lower 20's) and at least one of them failed on me. Basically lost all elasticity. I'd be curious if anyone else has had that experience.
    I would love to... But I dont camp in the cold. I like working in it, playing in it, but when it comes to sleeping in it.... I gotta have a heater.

The tubing is Thera band. I dont have any cold weather experience with it. However.. It is very cold here right now... I can set one up under tension tonight and check it out in the AM.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    opie,

Thanks for the video! Those look like something I may want to try out in the warmer weather. After all, hammockers gotta play!

What line is that in the video?

cooldays,

Let us know what you end up trying, and how it works for you. Have fun playing! Many of us find that trying things out is half the fun of hammocking!
    It's a process!
    The line in the vid is the 2mm Dynaglide. I also make them using the 1.75 Zing It. I actually like the Zing It better for making these.

Here is the yellow Zing It..

I just got my Red Zing It in..and will be making them with that as well. It looks a bit Pink in this picture.. But it is a nice Red.

And of course I can make them using the Green Dynaglide.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Green Theraband can freeze in the extended position in the teens. One of four did that to me at the 2nd Mt Rogers hang.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast