Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    I missed the unsafe and unreliable part. I think that is something some have read into Clarks writing?
    If your hammock bed is made of 1.7 oz or 1.1 oz fabric, it is not intended to last nearly as long as a Clark hammock will. Even worse, 1.7 oz and 1.1 oz fabrics will stretch much more than quality Clark bed fabrics. Stretchy bed fabrics turn you into a banana, forcing you to angle yourself in the hammock to overcome the cheap bed.

I don't think is much of a leap to read that in.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blkx01 View Post
    Fabric weight/strength is dependent on numerous factors. Obviously there are the polyester vs. nylon fiber, but it goes way beyond that. Then there's yarn denier and weave strength/density. The type of loom it's woven on. Add in the type of nylon...it goes on & on. Nylon 66 30d 1.1 oz ripstop has much greater tear strength than regular nylon 30d 1.1 oz ripstop.
    I got a rifle when I was a kid. Back around 1960 or so. The stock was made of Nylon 66. In fact, the name of the model was Remington Nylon 66. It was surprisingly durable ( I still have it) and very light weight.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    In your desire to get defensive about your favorite brand of hammock, however, we have strayed WAY off-topic from the discussion at hand - are Clark's claims actually supported and valid, or are they making claims that are dubious and difficult to back up? I suggest we return to that discussion rather than trying to point fingers at the community here simply because your favorite piece of gear doesn't happen to be as popular as some other choices.
    Actually I believe you are a bit off the original topic as well. In the OP, we specified that we are discussing the following (excerpted from the OP).

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    So, we've tried to start this discussion several times now but it keeps going off the rails. See the DM thread entitled 'Really' for background. Let's see if we can't talk about this clearly and calmly, please.

...snip...

Heavier fabric will indeed stretch less than lighter fabric, but is there a need for heavier fabrics than 1.7 to get durability? If so, at what occupant weight is it needed? Is a single heavier layer more durable than two lighter layers? Have HF'ers made narrower hammocks from heavier fabric in order to get a flat lay without a diagonal position? What were your results?

Let's keep this one on topic please. And Clark owners - this isn't a jab at Clark. The claims raise some interesting questions that are relevant.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Actually I believe you are a bit off the original topic as well. In the OP, we specified that we are discussing the following (excerpted from the OP).
    I explicitly said "we have strayed off topic", admitting that I contributed to it, and trying to steer it back in the direction of the original purpose of the thread.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I explicitly said "we have strayed off topic", admitting that I contributed to it, and trying to steer it back in the direction of the original purpose of the thread.
    Thank you.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I don't think is much of a leap to read that in.
    Ok. I am through. I have given my opinions.
    Last edited by Riverpirate; 05-26-2011 at 20:55.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Plaunius wrote:

"I'm a retail manager and I gain much more insight from handling a customer who has a concern than someone who's patting me on the back."

In asking a few questions of Clark about maintaining their NX-250, I remarked on a couple of issues that might be addressed in future models.

One was the observation that water could and did collect in the pockets, which were made with some elastic across the top and Velcro tabs inside the top of the pocket and on the hammock body. I suggested that a continuous fabric flap INSTEAD would take care of the problem of keeping out water.

For one of the hangs when this happened I was caught out by a couple of pop-up sprinkler system that came on around 4AM. Another time I reported how useful the storm shield had been,-- non-Clarkers could think of it as a zip-along parallel layer to the insect net -- being able to call on it quickly to respond to a fast-moving shower when I didn't have a tarp up.

"Where" I asked, "would the water run off but into the pockets? Or morning dew and fog droplets?"

Well, the Clark rep / customer service reply was that
    1) The system was designed to be used with a tarp.
    2) Nobody could expect and they had never heard of a Clark user being affected by a sprinkler, shooting water from below.
    3) With American labor costs, every feature had to be scrutinized.
    4. There couldn't be a problem of water running off the weather shield.

Sooooooo. I happen to go to the feature list of the new Clark "Tropical 2" hammock, already in production. One of the features?

"The four storage pockets now include flaps which prevent poisonous spiders from descending inside."

I hope it is 100% effective, because otherwise all those "poisonous spiders" will not be able to escape the pockets and go somewhere else.

Plaunius' point was one I also learned from Bill Penzey from one of his early circulars for the family spice business he has since expanded to 20+ branches nationwide. Bill said he learned most from the (immigrant origin) customers at his first retail store.

I expect to continue to enjoy the Clark, not my last hammock. Gotta think, though, that the next would more likely be a Clark if they were as innovative as Warbonnet and JRB.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    So, we've tried to start this discussion several times now but it keeps going off the rails. See the DM thread entitled 'Really' for background. Let's see if we can't talk about this clearly and calmly, please.

Clark recently updated their 'Features' page to include a couple of lines about 1.1 and 1.7 oz fabrics and their durability.
    I'll wade in...

- as far as durability goes, that is subjective. Every person treats their gear differently...some NEED heavier material for normal usage than others.
    - Stretch is subjective depending on the weight of the hanger...
    - "mosquito proof" cannot be definitively proven...hence, subjective
    - I also notice the use of subjective terms in their "features" like "lightweight" or "cheap"...every person has a different definition of these terms.

Just for fun, I would like to state a M4 Sherman tank to be more durable than cheaply made other vehicles. This tank offers superior protection for its passengers, while overcoming anything in its path. Why settle for imitation 4X4 trucks, when a TANK is what you really need!

In this example, no one can argue that a M4 is more durable. It states that other vehicles are cheaply made (and they are compared to the tank) The ad never specifies the manufacturer of the imitation 4X4s, but we all would guess. The ad also assumes what the buyer wants and needs (which may or may not be true).

IOW, the ad never states anything that isnt subjective...
    and neither does the Clark features...but that doesn't make them true either!
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 06-01-2011 at 18:48.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Plaunius wrote:............................................ ......
    Demostix, I'd love to better understand what you are stating in this post are my quotes. It's not a bod deal but confusing for me and maybe others.

This is my quote I recognize; "I'm a retail manager and I gain much more insight from handling a customer who has a concern than someone who's patting me on the back."

I assume the rest is your own words? Normally not a big deal but this is such a contentious thread....

I expect to continue to enjoy the Clark, not my last hammock. Gotta think, though, that the next would more likely be a Clark if they were as innovative as Warbonnet and JRB.

More innovative? What company is more innovative and has more features than Clark. They just came out with the new TX-150 and 250. Who has more selections of different hammocks with different features than Clark? They were innovative when everybody else was just hanging in a fabric hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast