underquilt idea help

I am new to hammock camping 1 night logged so far (it was a train wreck, I froze to death). I didn't know anything about having an under quilt. I found some online but they are really expensive. So here is my idea.......I have an old jungle mesh hammock very small and light. I'm thinking i can fold my old rectangle sleeping bag in the jungle hammock and affix it to keep it from sliding around. re-do the hammock suspension with shock cord and hang it tight to the bottom of my hammock. This in theory should hold the sleeping bag underneath my hammock and the shock cord should make it so it conforms with my "sag" of the hammock ill be laying in. i was thinking of small diameter shock cord on the sides to hook onto my ridgeline. Ill try to post some pics when im finished but if you can follow me whats your opinion? This should be virtually free since i already have everything on hand.

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    There R a few posts up here about using a sleeping bag as an uq . But it sounds like that could work too. It would be a little overkill . I made my uq out of a sleeping bag.
    Wasn't too hard. I would check the DIY section.
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by daveocelott View Post
    There R a few posts up here about using a sleeping bag as an uq . But it sounds like that could work too. It would be a little overkill . I made my uq out of a sleeping bag.
    Wasn't too hard. I would check the DIY section.
    Im still learning how to use this forum thing. I hate scrolling through 100's of post dont know if there is a way to search. That aside, how did you do yours? does it work well in cold weather? I was thinking if i doubled the rectangle sleeping bag it would allow me to add layers as the weather gets colder kind of like a pouch between the layer to beef it up as needed.

Hammock
    eno double nest, 12'r, 90x132"r
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12 :D
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by edge308 View Post
    Im still learning how to use this forum thing. I hate scrolling through 100's of post dont know if there is a way to search. That aside, how did you do yours? does it work well in cold weather? I was thinking if i doubled the rectangle sleeping bag it would allow me to add layers as the weather gets colder kind of like a pouch between the layer to beef it up as needed.
    first, look at the top of the page under the second grey bar, on the right there is a box that says thread tools, click it and subscribe to thread. whenever you log on just click the user cp box on the lower grey bar. that will show you when something new has been posted in the thread, and take you right too it. search is also there.

as far as your sleeping bag. get A SPEEDY AWL, or something similar, a sweing machine or go into the seamstress shop. and get someone to add cord channels to your old sleeping bag.

pm me if you want to talk directly.
    Glory to the Fallen, Honor to the Lost. Faith to the Missing. Carry on Forever.

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Like Ahh said u could put channels down both sides. I had mine down to 30° they worked pretty good. If I need to go lower I'll put a pad in my hammock. The search can be difficult if u don't know the exact words. But there are good instructions in the DIY section.
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Hi edge, I've got some good news and some bad. bad news is it sounds like you have a small case of newbie-itis. good news is, that's what we're here for...

Search function is right next to the new posts button close the top of the page. It'll help but a lot have found that google search hammock forums and whatever you are looking for such as "hammock forums sleeping bag uq" and it'll bring up a few different posts for an under quilt from a sleeping bag.

I followed your idea to the t and a lot of people have done very similar things. It is a very easy modification that shouldn't take too long. Every person is going to tell you how to do something in a slightly different way. The thing we are mostly here for is to allow thinking outside the box type brainstorming, and supportive critique to address any possible concerns we would have were we doing it.

My only concern towards your idea is mainly the weight. Those rectangle type of sleeping bags are generally heavier materials than the more expensive type of true underquilt.

If cost is a concern of yours as it seems to be, go the DIY route. A simple sewing machine can be found on craigslist for dang near nothing, and you can get the materials to do alot yourself for slightly cheaper than from a cottage industry like AHE or Warbonnet. They really only charge a little bit for the actual labor cost when it comes to underquilts though, because down is so expensive.

My best suggestion to you is a simple link, so I will quit rambling on and pass on a little of what i call knowledge...take care and welcome to life above ground.

PS: you didn't freeze to total death or you wouldn't be asking for advice on how to not freeze to death.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=44808
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

• + New Posts