Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    That's great feedback, thanks. Boy, for the amount I'd spend on it up front + replacing down, I might just make my own similar one as I really like the design (soft on one side, plus that nice flap at the top - one thing I don't like about the HammockGear pillow is that the tie-off string comes right off the pillow and sometimes rubs on my head).

Can you get a sense for what type of material the soft stuff is? Just a small piece of micro-fleece? Something else?

its a cottony feeling material, that is sewed right to the ripstop tho,,,but I was super disappointed how the pillow just flattened when I laid my head on it to where I took all the down out of it, and added the down to a syntethic Coccoon black pillow I had,,making it 9.5 oz heavy and perfect for my head, neck and back,,as I have to use a pillow..and couldn't see packing that heavy a pillow..so I re-stuffed the black rock shell ,,first with 2 ozes and wasn't enough then another oz,,then finally a 4th oz,,and its firm as all get out and still compresses a dash when your head is on it,,and works just great for my head when on my side,,and weighes in at 5.3 oz. This pillow as cost me about 110 bucks,,but I like what I have.

That black rock pillow is total weight including the flap of material in a triangle and mitten hook at 2 oz,,so figure,,there is only a oz or maybe a little more of down in it? (and giving black rock the doubt) in it if that. I cut the mitten hook and triangle of excess material off it for my weight, with 4 oz of down, so figure the pillow material the shell is made of at 1.3 oz.
    Last edited by Acer; 04-16-2013 at 20:57.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I have the exped one you mentioned. It is perfect for hammocking. I use it semi inflated in the hammock, and fully inflated if I use it on the ground. I highly recommend it. http://www.rei.com/product/830617/exped-air-pillow

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I tried an inflatable pillow. I hated it. It feels like a blown-up ziplock bag inside a cloth cover. I made one from spare climashield and some cotton cloth from jo ann's. Its about 10 by 14. It's kind of bulky, but I put it on the bottom of the pack and sit stuff on it. It flattens out nicely and puffs up instantly.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Count me in as a Montbell fan. 2 1/2 puffs of air and I'm good for the night. Made a little fleece sleeve to put on it and it makes it even nicer and the shock cord tether keeps it in place. Here's a link... https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=70711

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    8x10 equinox egret
    Insulation
    Eno Ember
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I've got this pillow from REI, it's great for the hammock, and was like 10 bucks.

http://www.rei.com/product/733361/rei-base-camp-pillow

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I like the smaller camp sized pillow but can't do an inflatable so I use one of these compressibles from the Bean. Liking the flannel.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65533...el-camp-pillow

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

Pillow Envy

Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    I have the exped one you mentioned.ground. I highly recommend it. http://www.rei.com/product/830617/exped-air-pillow
    I like the Montbell, which I have, but my son went and bought the Exped, and I was smitten with pillow envy. I already splurged (to my way of thinking) getting the Montbell, so it just seemed too much to upgrade to the Exped, but I have been tempted. But the Montbell really comes into its own in a hammock half inflated, so it may be a moot point.

On the other hand, a pillow is about the worlds simplest DIY sewing project, so I might screw around when I get some time. Could fill it with rice or beans or lead shot -- something sensible for ultralight backpacking like I enjoy. Actually if I knew where to buy down, a lot of projects become possible. For a pillow, I think polyester fill would have some advantages (like you can just fearlessly throw it in the washer with harsh detergents). Could be a warmup to a DIY underquilt.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

Ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Wm. Stewart View Post
    I've got this pillow from REI, it's great for the hammock, and was like 10 bucks.

http://www.rei.com/product/733361/rei-base-camp-pillow
    Can't beat the price, but it is 12 ounces. The montbell is 2.5 ounces and deflates to a tiny size. But if you aren't backpacking, or aren't trying to go super light, right on!

Of course I just spent several days this week fussing over a 14 ounce versus a 20 ounce underquilt, so you can understand how I think about things. I went the 20 ounce route because sleeping warm is just a non-negotiable for me. Sleeping comfortable is a close second, hence the pillow.

The few times I have slept in my hammock have been from 8am-2pm(I work over nights). What I have used for both light blocking, and a slight pillow, is one of my sons 47"x47" muslin cotton blankets. His are a few years old so they are well worn and soft so they make great pillow/eye covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucson Tom View Post
    Can't beat the price, but it is 12 ounces. The montbell is 2.5 ounces and deflates to a tiny size. But if you aren't backpacking, or aren't trying to go super light, right on!

Of course I just spent several days this week fussing over a 14 ounce versus a 20 ounce underquilt, so you can understand how I think about things. I went the 20 ounce route because sleeping warm is just a non-negotiable for me. Sleeping comfortable is a close second, hence the pillow.
    If you're REALLY into counting the ounces, then you're best bet for a pillow with any significant support will probably have to be repurposed clothing.

I assume you have a down jacket of some kind, being in the desert and being UL. Maybe you should consider making a microfiber stuff sack that you can put your down jacket in??? Probably the cheapest option as well. And you're only adding however much your stuff sack would weigh.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast