Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post

If you simply tie your hammock up higher with an appropriate angle on the hammock suspension lines to get the hammock at the height you want, it will not drop nearly as much when you put weight in the hammock.
    I agree. Having followed this suggestion from YB and also WBG?, I find I get a lot less sag.

Images
    Yep, that HH lashing always holds ( for me ) and always releases easily, though freezing rain might add some difficulty. So does Speer's wrap or Hogn8ter's round turn with 2 half hitches. So does the Marine Nylon rope cleat, and usually I have no trouble with the cinch buckles, as long as there is at least a little slack ( after laying in it ) that I can pull towards the tree while loosening.

But I can see that frozen water might cause some difficulty with all of them.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

But I can see that frozen water might cause some difficulty with all of them.
    Icing is scary... not only with the knots but with webbing around a large diameter tree as well. I have only been out in light icing, but I got the picture.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    YB, i have noticed that sometimes a slippery knot, if i just yank really fast, the bight will twist and then jam, then i have to pull the bight back and try again, but if i'm careful and pull slow, i can see the bight begin to twist all i have to do is hold it so it pulls straight and it always will pop fine. i havent tried any of this with the hh gear, so i don't know, but i suspect that the bight might have gotten twisted/kinked as you were trying to pull it through which might have caused it to jam.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    YB, i have noticed that sometimes a slippery knot, if i just yank really fast, the bight will twist and then jam, then i have to pull the bight back and try again, but if i'm careful and pull slow, i can see the bight begin to twist all i have to do is hold it so it pulls straight and it always will pop fine. i havent tried any of this with the hh gear, so i don't know, but i suspect that the bight might have gotten twisted/kinked as you were trying to pull it through which might have caused it to jam.
    Yes I've noticed this also. In my experience, the sheathed stuff like the Spyderline is much more prone to this than the coated stuff like the Amsteel.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Icing is scary... not only with the knots but with webbing around a large diameter tree as well. I have only been out in light icing, but I got the picture.
    Dave, what happened with the webbing when you were out in the icy conditions?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adkpiper View Post
    I don't know what Dave's answer will be, but I remember one trip in particular that I was on some years back.
    I've been out lots of times when it was well below freezing at night, but this trip above freezing during the day & wet.
    So that night everything froze hard.
    I had to beat the ice out of knots to untie them, & I may have ended up cutting at least one.
    Had to do the same to get the webbing on my pack to slide through the "Fastex Ladder Lock Buckles" too.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adkpiper View Post
    The icing was wasn't very much but it was enough that we had to use a tarp stake to pry it off a few inches at a time while we pulled as well. It took a few minutes. One hammock setup used hollow braid polypropylene rope and it didn't take anything special for it. Sometimes extra contact area works against you.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12