hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Good one, Trek! The old "tree to fat for huggers" can be a real problem sometimes, especially in places like the Pacific NW, and others. Looks like if you have a climbing ring with you, you can handle it. Wonder if that could also be done with the rope threaded through a carabiner?
    walking outside to test it right now.....

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Good one, Trek! The old "tree to fat for huggers" can be a real problem sometimes, especially in places like the Pacific NW, and others. Looks like if you have a climbing ring with you, you can handle it. Wonder if that could also be done with the rope threaded through a carabiner?
    well the actual idea itself worked, but i am too lazy to walk down the woods to sling up now, so will test tomorrow, only thing i didnt like is its putting three different directions of pressure on the carabiner... not so hot...

i believe i saw a post today of someone doing it actually, but it looked a bit off....

will get back to you!

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Trek, your "fat tree" method looks great and (better) easy, but I couldn't really follow the looping notaknot. Is it as simple as it looks or can it be screwed up? :-)

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    Trek, your "fat tree" method looks great and (better) easy, but I couldn't really follow the looping notaknot. Is it as simple as it looks or can it be screwed up? :-)
    sorry to hear it wasnt clear! going to finish this cup o tea and then ill film a close up! gimme half an hour!

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    just while im drinking my tea thought id type and slurp.

i assume you are talking about actually fixing the live end to the ring?

to be quite honest, i think any knot that you are comfortable with and know holds your weight will work. in that particular video, i just literally wrapped it round the o ring a few times, to take the weight off the knot and then put in a quick release half hitch. this doesnt mean that something like a double figure of eight looped around the ring wouldnt work... it would just be a little harder to get off in the morning thats all!!!

does that help at all?? ill do a video close up anyway, but at the end of the day, all knots should be down to you and what you are comfortable with and are sure works!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkingnut View Post
    to be quite honest, i think any knot that you are comfortable with and know holds your weight will work. in that particular video, i just literally wrapped it round the o ring a few times, to take the weight off the knot and then put in a quick release half hitch. this doesnt mean that something like a double figure of eight looped around the ring wouldnt work... it would just be a little harder to get off in the morning thats all!!!

does that help at all?? ill do a video close up anyway, but at the end of the day, all knots should be down to you and what you are comfortable with and are sure works!
    That written description is pretty clear to me. I also wasn't exactly clear on the visual of what you did, but it looked like it might be as you just described. And it was!

So, 3 wraps and a 1/2 hitch or two. Reminds me of one of my favs with webbing around a tree, before cinch buckles and such, and still with my unaltered Speer: a round turn(or 2) and a 1/2 hitch or 2. Just run the webbing around once as with a cinch buckle set up, then again, and a 1/2 hitch. This simple and quick approach has never failed me.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    When I'm talking about something that I know to someone who doesn't know, they nod their heads like they understand, but all they hear is "it's simple, you just blah blah blah and blah blah blah, then all you have to do is blah blah blah blah. Got it?"

HF is great and everyone bends over backwards to be helpful, but until I take the time to grab some rope and work through this myself it's all "blah blah blah".

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    That written description is pretty clear to me. I also wasn't exactly clear on the visual of what you did, but it looked like it might be as you just described. And it was!

So, 3 wraps and a 1/2 hitch or two. Reminds me of one of my favs with webbing around a tree, before cinch buckles and such, and still with my unaltered Speer: a round turn(or 2) and a 1/2 hitch or 2. Just run the webbing around once as with a cinch buckle set up, then again, and a 1/2 hitch. This simple and quick approach has never failed me.
    i wish people had let me know sooner!!! im going to pop down to the woods tomorrow and refilm the first one and replace it on youtube, then i can take the one im uploading now down as well.

i was also thinking of a loop and then a highwayman's hitch as well... we shall see if that works...

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    HH 101 is a terrific film. I also wish this was round when I started...Would have made my life so much easier

WELL DONE SIR!
    Tom

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by TOB9595 View Post
    HH 101 is a terrific film. I also wish this was round when I started...Would have made my life so much easier

WELL DONE SIR!
    Tom
    well thank you very much! i hope it helps people out! im going to spend a week solid hanging next week and keep a pad and pencil handy in case anything else springs to mind, ive filmed a couple more bits and pieces but not enough to waste peoples time with a new film yet!

heres the updated knot video: please give me some feedback on this one and let me know what you think. i really do think this proves that the garda hitch, with two rings and a carabiner is the most versatile option! you never have to add anything on, no matter the size of the tree!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast