DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Mine just arrived! I had it up and running in about 15 min. Thanks to this thread I was able to buy with confidence. Now its nap time
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Ordered the Vario this morning. Should be backyard camping next weekend...let the experimenting begin! If the WBBB works well for me (no suitable trees in my yard and so no long naps...yet) then UQ and TQ shoppping will begin in ernest. Might even end up with a full kit before Spring if Mrs Law Dawg is smitten. Thinking I will set her up in it and bring her tea, rub her feet etc.

Confirming that WBBB tribe members have used this sans the extenders and got proper angles etc?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    For quite awhile now I have been mulling over purchasing a Byer Vario Hammock Stand. From everything that I have read here. It seems to be a very good reliable stand. I already have a hammock stand that I bought from WalMart. It is only marginally adequate as the uprights of the stand are not quite tall enough. Added to this when you enter the hammock the uprights flex inward quite a bit. I end up with my tail bone darn close to the center pole. I suppose that I could probably go to a muffler shop and get extensions made as others have done. But this does not appeal to me. Thus I am seriously considering buying a Vario stand. But I have few questions that I hope those of you who have the Vario can answer. I am 6'3" and weigh around 240 lbs. Is there any of you out there of a similar size and weight that use this stand? How is the upright flex? Would I need to use the optional extender in order to get a good hang? Any thought or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Terry

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Law and Pop

LawDawg—Welcome to the posse! The Vario is great in the backyard, which si one place I use mine. That foot massage thing with tea in your backyard thing sounds fabulous, too.

Wait, wait….I’m sorry, I reread your post and it’s for your wife. I misunderstood—I thought you were offering for all Vario owners. Nevermind. Plus my wife Cathy would string me up by the toes if I got a massage from a guy. I don’t get massages from guys even at the massage parlor.
    If Mrs. LawDawg can resist your overtures, she’s a strong creature. Sounds like you’ll be getting a TQ and UQ soon.

As to you and Poppa’s questions about the extenders, I have an extender (the one that costs $34 extra and goes on the bottom rail), and as BillyBob58 told me (above post somewhere), I’ve have never used it. Never even took it out of the box. If you are both referring to an extender on the uprights, I have not had the need to do so, and I don;t even have the hammock uprights on the highest setting anyhow--I think I have two more holes higher I coulkd go with it (and would, if I was heavier, I think).

I have used my WB Blackbird, my ENO SN and DN, a Grand Trucks parachute hammock, and now have my WB Traveler on the Vario and have never needed the extender, and frankly, have never even had the two uprights to their fullest extension. I am only 168 lbs and 5 9” though, so someone might have to go higher on the uprights if they are heavier and will have more flex on the stand. When I’m in the Vario, my butt is at least 1.5 feet above the bottom bracket. JustJeff, I think is your size, Poppa (I could be wrong), wonder what he’d say. My dad has laid in my hammock and he’s 250lbs and 6 feet and he had no issues. I’d hate for you to buy one and find it no better for you than your cheaper Wal-Mart model.

The only thing I notice, to compensate for the by-design flex of the stand, is that I have the hammock straighter (i.e. more horizontal) than I typically would with trees, so that when I sit in it, and it flexes, it’s a perfect sling/hang angle. Takes some minor tweaking.

I use my Vario every, and I mean every, single day. And some nights.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    LawDawg—Welcome to the posse! That foot massage thing with tea in your backyard thing sounds fabulous, too.

Wait, wait….I’m sorry, I reread your post and it’s for your wife.
    Thanks for the welcome (I'm part of the Tribe and now a posse too ) and extender info. All I need is for the Santa's brown truck to show. BTW I'm not from that part of Kaliforniacate so you are secure.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    when you enter the hammock the uprights flex inward quite a bit. I end up with my tail bone darn close to the center pole.

I am 6'3" and weigh around 240 lbs. Is there any of you out there of a similar size and weight that use this stand? How is the upright flex? Would I need to use the optional extender in order to get a good hang?
    I am about your weight and 4 inches shorter. My WBBB is fine on that stand. I hang it initially with the ridgeline as taut as it can be, then when I climb on the whole thing settles to the perfect lay and suspension angle.
    A large double 'parachute' hammock (like an ENO double) has to have a fairly flat lay to not bottom out for me. But I also like my doublewide to have a LOT of sag under normal conditions.

I don't think the optional extender is needed, since we've mostly learned that the farther apart the trees are, the higher the tree huggers must be: so using the extender would, IMHO, mean needing to make the uprights longer.

I flex the devil out of the uprights on my stand. I've never measured the deflection so I have no solid numbers but it seems to be OK.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I recieved the Vario Fri and set it up yesterday, late. It had some rust on the rubber gromets but nothing some WD40 won't cure. The WBBB fit (and functioned) with all things extended to maximum but I really wish the top risers were taller...knees don't ya know. I do wonder how some longer tubes would work with this...two pieces of pipe and a drill press would not be that tough to work out. Probably will just break out the walker (like the one granny uses) to use in getting out of the low hammock.

Good piece of equipment overall and certainly beats nothing to hang from in the old backyard. I'll be trying a nap this afternoon and working toward an overnighter as well. Need to figure out the tarp and insulation first.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I don't want to hear that knee stuff Law Dawg. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my WBBB, but my new knee still isn't all that functional yet. I really want to set it up when it gets here and do a test drive, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get out of it.
    Help, I've Hammocked, And I Can't Get Up !!!!!
    KJ

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I don't want to hear that knee stuff Law Dawg.

...but I'm afraid I won't be able to get out of it.
    Help, I've Hammocked, And I Can't Get Up !!!!!
    KJ
    Hanging from trees at the park it is a sweet...simply a sweet set up as I can place the webbing higher on the tree than the Vario. Even the Vario is tall enough to work just not where I want for stand up comfort. Remember I am living with two knee replacements in two years and also recovering from two episodes of blood clots to my lungs (one for each knee replacement). It is a long hard uphill march to get strength and flexibility back up when clots almost bring eternity and stop PT etc. But hey girl, that's what drew me to the hammock in the first place!

I have to ask this as I am not sure the difference between the two and I searched the forum and didn't find anything. What is the difference between
    amazon's Byer of Maine Model A4035 Vario Hammock Stand and Yard Envy's Amazonas Vario Hammock stand? The Amazonas seems cheaper what gives?
    Please enlighten.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast