ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Whatevers Handy
    Insulation
    Homemade stuff
    Suspension
    Tie Down Straps

Angry Bug net..HEEEELP!

I'm not a regular user here. I check in from time to time, but hammocks are just one little part of what I do. Anyway....

I have an ENO Bug Guardian that I absolutely love. Recently, I was given a sum of money and tasked with outfitting my best friend with a light survival pack of my own design, and upgrading his hammock gear.

For that, I purchased and installed a complete whoopie sling set, and ordered him an ENO bug guardian like mine. Yay! All done! Right?

WRONG!

When we did our shake out of his new gear last weekend, we found a nasty surprise. It appears that ENO, in their infinite wisdom, decided it was a good idea to COMPLETELY mess up one of their best products.

My friend fit fine in mine. But when we set HIS up, it appeared to be shorter and narrower. The lines that keep the bugnet in place were no longer there, and the simple cordlocks were replaced by a PATHETIC AND USELESS "cord squeezer" thing....Something I'd expect to find on a Walmart product.

So he slept in it and was totally bunched up. The ends of the hammock protruded from the bug net, and the ends didn't cinch worth a crap.

The ONLY explanation I can come up with is they did this to make production cheaper. But two of the changes would have very very minimal effect on the bottom line. How much money does 7 feet of cord and two plastic cord locks REALLY cost?

I am SOOOOOO disappointed beyond words. We aren't hammock ninjas like most everyone here. We don't have a $300 sewing machine, and a spare bedroom full of bulk no-see-um mesh and sil-ny, nor the skills to put it together. We aren't looking to fork out the money you guys do for a Hennessy or Warbonnet. I'm happy with my Doublenest and those great Walmart hammocks. But unless there is one I am unaware of, there isn't a competitor equivalent of the ENO Bug Guardian.

SO....Any suggestions from the Hammock Gods? Alternatives, or someplace that might have 2011 Bug Guardians in stock?

And did the guy at ENO responsible get fired? If not, he should have.

Thanks...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    For about the same price of the ENO bugnet you could go with a Warbonnet "Travel Net" or a Wilderness Logics bugnet.

These are the two most widely used cottage manufacturer bugnets.

For about the same price you could also go with a hammock with integrated bugnetting like a Skeeter Beeter.

On a side note, I'd probably contact ENO or the retailer you bought the net from and ask to return it due to the fact that it doesn't fit your hammock.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Whatevers Handy
    Insulation
    Homemade stuff
    Suspension
    Tie Down Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    For about the same price of the ENO bugnet you could go with a Warbonnet "Travel Net" or a Wilderness Logics bugnet.

For about the same price you could also go with a hammock with integrated bugnetting like a Skeeter Beeter.

On a side note, I'd probably contact ENO or the retailer you bought the net from and ask to return it due to the fact that it doesn't fit your hammock.
    Oh, it's on it's way back to Amazon as we speak. I tried to contact ENO on their website, but funny thing...the script doesn't work and I couldn't send it. Must have some code preventing bitching letters from getting through.

I didn't know about the others, I'll check them out, thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    First off, my sewing machine only costs $20 (a Black Friday deal) and I'm quite happy with it, and I work from the dinning room table, or wherever else I can free up a little flat surface. My other sewing machine was $10 at a yardsale, and has more stitching options than I know what to do with, so I don't use it often.

I would return that one with a complaint. Call the company to see what happened and if they sent the wrong thing.

You can use organza.

You can make a bugsock: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html Easy

Fronkey Style: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=39983 Easy

HangNout http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29395 Way more involved

Pips TED: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33714 My fave

There is the kind that only covers only your upper half of your body, don't know where the link is for that one. You have to stay covered with your TQ for this one to work right.

Or these are only $12.95 http://www.dphammockgear.com/bedroom.html

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Not the awfully toned complaint I expected....

Someone on your end made a mistake in not opening and testing the gear before taking it to the field.

Three nights ago I bought my mother a TV so she could watch when she is with my brother for a month.

It was a hassle, but I would never have done other than take it out of the box the night before, when it arrived, take the time to assemble the stand, program it for use just here for 15 minutes of use and check of functioning. And then repack it all for the car trip the following AM

You and / or friend should not have done less with something that does not include on-screen menus and come from a major advanced technology company.

With age and experience I have found sometimes found the responsibility of giving advice a growing burden. Between you and me: After hundreds of nights in a hammock, and after having given several hammocks as gifts, I would never give a bug net as follow up. Odd, consider it being it soft goods that I must include a separate bug-knife, along with knives in the category of risky-- or worse -- bad-luck gifts.

All smilies implied at the appropriate places.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Whatevers Handy
    Insulation
    Homemade stuff
    Suspension
    Tie Down Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Someone on your end made a mistake in not opening and testing the gear before taking it to the field.

Three nights ago I bought my mother a TV so she could watch when she is with my brother for a month.

It was a hassle, but I would never have done other than take it out of the box the night before, when it arrived, take the time to assemble the stand, program it for use just here for 15 minutes of use and check of functioning. And then repack it all for the car trip the following AM

You and / or friend should not have done less with something that does not include on-screen menus and come from a major advanced technology company.

With age and experience I have found sometimes found the responsibility of giving advice a growing burden. Between you and me: After hundreds of nights in a hammock, and after having given several hammocks as gifts, I would never give a bug net as follow up. Odd, consider it being it soft goods that I must include a separate bug-knife, along with knives in the category of risky-- or worse -- bad-luck gifts.

All smilies implied at the appropriate places.
    Thanks for the condescending advice. I'm pretty sure I said in post one we were doing a shake down of the new gear (That means "testing it"). This was in his back yard by the river. We weren't in the middle of the Amazon rainforest. I'm not going to toot my own horn with my experience, but I know what I'm doing. The hammock is a luxury item. I just assumed after owning a ENO Bug Guardian for a year, that the next one I bought would be identical.

But that's why we do shake downs.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Tanner View Post
    Thanks for the condescending advice.
    Given the tone of your first post, it's not surprising that you'd get some responses you didn't like.

"Nasty surprise", "COMPLETELY mess up", "PATHETIC AND USELESS", "worth a crap", "SOOOOOO disappointed beyond words", "get fired? If not, he should have".

We're all happy to help answer questions, but there's no need to try to bash something simply because it doesn't suit your needs. That just invites arguments and isn't in the friendly spirit of this site.

Some of the alternate suggestions above are good ones. Lots of DIY options, along with commercial choices from both Warbonnet and Wilderness Logics.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Whatevers Handy
    Insulation
    Homemade stuff
    Suspension
    Tie Down Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Given the tone of your first post, it's not surprising that you'd get some responses you didn't like.

"Nasty surprise", "COMPLETELY mess up", "PATHETIC AND USELESS", "worth a crap", "SOOOOOO disappointed beyond words", "get fired? If not, he should have".

We're all happy to help answer questions, but there's no need to try to bash something simply because it doesn't suit your needs. That just invites arguments and isn't in the friendly spirit of this site.

Some of the alternate suggestions above are good ones. Lots of DIY choices, along with commercial choices from both Warbonnet and Wilderness Logics.
    I also said that I own one myself I bought last year, and that I love it. I recommended it to everyone. Now, with what I assume is the 2012 model, they didn't make improvements, they took features away. Size, needed parts, etc. The only possible explanation for that is to just make it cheaper. It was perfect before. I did not see anything on ENO's site about more than one model.

I think I have been plenty friendly. How I interpret the previous poster is a response typical on forums...the people that live the subject matter know it backward and forward, and become jaded to noob questions, and just assume I'm a moron. I came here because I know THIS is the place where the hammock experts are.

The replies before that were excellent, helpful, and I greatly appreciate them! I'm not here to fight.

I would also defy ANYBODY to look at what are being passed off as cord locks on this thing now and not call them "Pathetic and Useless". When you see it, the only response you will have at your disposal will be "WTF??". The old ones had standard cord locks like you would find on any cheap stuff sack, and worked fine. I don't even know how to describe what is on there now. I wish I would have taken a picture. All I know is they don't do what they are meant to do. At all. (cinch the openings closed). Then with the strain of the overall size being shorter, they just pop open like they weren't even there.
    Last edited by C_Tanner; 08-31-2012 at 13:10.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Whatevers Handy
    Insulation
    Homemade stuff
    Suspension
    Tie Down Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post

I just noticed you are here in Columbus. Maybe I can pick your brain sometime?

I also remember DivaB. Thanks for both your replies!

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    C Tanner I think I can relate.

It's not that you are complaining about the product, it's the way you delivered it. I have been in a similar situation where I reccommended a particular thing only to discover the "new way" was not what I had been "selling". I was seriously disappointed. So was my friend.

I think the under lying tone of this thread is, "It's not that you are wrong to be unhappy, but maybe vent in a different fashion".

I'm not here to censor you in any fashion what-so-ever, just offering a opinion.

Hope your bug netting solution gets worked out and your friend continues hammocking.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast