Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I don't watch TV. I had them take the cable out of my house almost a year ago. I find it mind numbing if not annoying. Now I spend my time perusing this forum.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whayneneal View Post
    I don't watch TV. I had them take the cable out of my house almost a year ago. I find it mind numbing if not annoying. Now I spend my time perusing this forum.
    Not to worry then, we can keep you posted on what you missed.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks, I'm very concerned about the outcome.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Mike said he was used to not being around other people. I think its a lack of social skills. I don't think its a knock on the guy himself. He seems like an alright guy just lacking in the thoughtfulness department. I mean if you got one of three machetes then I know I should get one not being used and if your fishing I'm not gonna swim over and splash around you. Nothing wrong with a little competition.

Oh and if you take my palm frans after I go to bed and I get wet I'm gonna be a pissed of mug also. That is stealing in my book.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Agfadoc View Post
    ...people are offended at the silliest stuff..Maybe the problem is the people offended not the people who offend..

If I was stuck with a bunch of.. well.. people with very little common sense.. I can't tell you how I would be. I would probably be a jerk too, or quickly perceived as one.
    Jerk is my default and the first quote is the big excuse. Fortunately my wife and others remind me of that weakness and the need to play well with others. It is a GREAT reminder and one this registered jerk appreciates.

I would be very assertive in that situation too...33 years as an LEO can make you good at that. However, we can all learn and my take is Michael types need to learn instead of leaning on the "I'm a loner" excuse and push to adapt. The first thing I would do is lobby to make the Ranger our leader and then set to finding out the needed skills of others through the "Squad Leader" Ranger (including his). Michael has needed skills but he also would need a leash to manage his poor social skills. In a true survival mode the others would think team or be sorry they did not.

As an former FTO (field training officer) my creed, given to the newbs, was. "Everybody makes mistakes, smart ones learn from them and stupid ones don't. I'll put my life on the line for you if you are not stupid. If you are...well do the math." Pain and hunger are harsh instructors...so is death.

That said, they are being filmed so there is a semi-scripted component here. They are at least going to want their "show" to be a success and so much of the drama.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    That said, they are being filmed so there is a semi-scripted component here. They are at least going to want their "show" to be a success and so much of the drama.
    That is the mind numbing, annoying part of TV that I can't stomach and those reality TV shows are the worst. That being said, if the others have any sense whatsoever, and there is a Ranger in the group, they will do what exactly what he says to do.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I’ve heard that 90% of all statistics are made up...
    Do you have a statistic for that?

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    More statistics...

307,006,550 - Population in America Jul 2009. Article written 2007 so it's more like 40%

http://articles.cnn.com/2007-07-09/h...s?_s=PM:HEALTH

"Doctors are now medicating unhappiness," said Dworkin. "Too many people take drugs when they really need to be making changes in their lives."

For Dworkin, the proof is in the statistics. According to a government study, antidepressants have become the most commonly prescribed drugs in the United States. They're prescribed more than drugs to treat high blood pressure, high cholesterol, asthma, or headaches. CNN's Elizabeth Cohen discusses the CDC study on antidepressants

In its study, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention looked at 2.4 billion drugs prescribed in visits to doctors and hospitals in 2005. Of those, 118 million were for antidepressants.

High blood pressure drugs were the next most-common with 113 million prescriptions.

The use of antidepressants and other psychotropic drugs -- those that affect brain chemistry -- has skyrocketed over the last decade.

Adult use of antidepressants almost tripled between the periods 1988-1994 and 1999-2000.

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by Agfadoc View Post
    More statistics...
    The use of antidepressants and other psychotropic drugs -- those that affect brain chemistry -- has skyrocketed over the last decade....
    Maybe the accumulated world events since 9-11 have made people want to find a happy place. However, folks have wanted to alter brain chemistry for hundreds of decades.

Here's one example that indicates some control exist over how the brain chemistry is altered. ( the important points are made at the 1:00 time mark)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfUDVqWMhWs&NR=1

Back on topic: I was not aware of the show "Out of the Wild" till seeing it mentioned here. Another type of escape. Checking the channel guide I see it's on tonight at 1:00 a.m. I watched a few minutes of the show at the vimeo link previously posted. I'll give it a look tonight or a DVR it for later.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* and 20* UQ
    Suspension
    slings w/marlin sp
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whayneneal View Post
    How can you tell who is a vegan at a party?

Don't worry. They'll tell you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast