HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Exclamation Pennsylvania Appalachian Trail hike October 18-28, 2012

Pennsylvania Appalachian Trail hike October 18-28, 2012

I'm going to be hiking the Appalachian Trail through the southern half of Pennsylvania (115 miles of the 230 total) from the Mason-Dixon Line to Swatara Gap & I-81. Anyone want to tag along? So far, there are two of us from Nashville.

We'll drive over on the 18th and hit the trail on Friday the 19th at Pen Mar County Park in Maryland. Hope to finish at Swatara Gap on Saturday the 27th, then perhaps visit the Gettysburg National Military Park, time allowing. On Sunday the 28th, we have to pick up other hikers who are doing the SNP that same time, also from Nashville. We'll drive back to Nashville on that Sunday.

QUERY: Any advice on the trail, towns, restaurants, places to stay along the trail not to be missed? Also, anybody interested in shuttling us or our vehicle?

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    HH exped
    Tarp
    HH diamond
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    stock HH
    I did this hike in 2011 and it should be great in October and though I wasn't hanging then there are plenty of great places to hang at the shelters along the way. Quarry Gap shelter, just past Caledonia SP is one of the nicest shelters I've stayed at. Aline's in Boiling Springs is a hiker friendly Italian restaurant and when I went through the Allenberry resort had a hiker special with a room for $40. Not sure if they do that year round. Have a great hike!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Word to the wise... be prepared for rocks! Enough said.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Allenberry in Boiling Springs; also, shuttle?

Quote Originally Posted by Soda View Post
    Aline's in Boiling Springs is a hiker friendly Italian restaurant and when I went through the Allenberry resort had a hiker special with a room for $40. Not sure if they do that year round. Have a great hike!
    THANKS for the restaurant advice. I find hardly anything is so nice on a long hike as a place to sit and be served food!

And a thru-hiker (Stambler) advised me about Allenberry, so I spoke with them this week and do plan to stay and eat there. And shower!

Now, what about shuttles? Can anyone please advise about anyone who might be able to shuttle us or our vehicle, all or part of the way? I have the hike mostly planned, but still need to solve the shuttle part of the puzzle. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Question Pennsylvania rocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Word to the wise... be prepared for rocks! Enough said.
    Yes, I've heard and read about the famous Pennsylvania rocks.

But, I understand they start, for the most part, somewhat north of Duncannon. Would you agree with that?

Rain Man

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Yes, I've heard and read about the famous Pennsylvania rocks.

But, I understand they start, for the most part, somewhat north of Duncannon. Would you agree with that?

Rain Man

I am not that familiar with the trail. I just know the whole state is two rocks for every dirt. Not much you can do except watch your step and be prepared.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH exped
    Tarp
    HH diamond
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    stock HH
    There will be rocks but I agree the worst is north of Duncannon though there are a couple of stretches with some interesting rock hopping along your route. The 14 miles from Boiling Springs is flat until you climb to the Darlington Shelter with pretty good trail along the way. There's a pretty long road walk through Duncannon and across the Susquehanna. If you stay at the Peter's Mountain Shelter it's a long walk down 350 rock steps to the spring.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'll be hiking south from PenMar on October 17 toward Fall MAHHA 2012, so I'll miss you by a day.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...all+mahha+2012

You Nashville guys must be incredibly disciplined to hike just a few miles from the MAHHA pot luck dinner and raffle on 10/20 at Gathland State Park and not be tempted to include it in your trip.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Well, we incredibly disciplined Nashville hikers leave early in the a.m. for the Appalachian Trail (3 in Virginia and 2 in Pennsylvania).

I'll be back online on the 29th. Til then, y'all behave and please try to keep the post count down so I can catch up when I return!

Rain Man

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Photo Album - trip report

For those who like such things, here is a link to photos I posted from this hike (195 of them)--
    Photo Album link.

Each photo (almost, anyway) has a caption (still a work in process), which constitutes a trip report of such. We hiked a mile or two on Thursday evening in a fierce downpour (with lightning) from Pen Mar County Park, but our full-days of hiking were Friday, October 19 through Saturday afternoon, October 27. We covered approximately 118 miles from the Mason-Dixon Line to Swatara Gap. Had GREAT sunny weather the first six days, then overcast (but nice and cool) the last three (Thank you, Hurricane "Sandy?"). We saw lots of SOBO thru-hikers.

You won't see any hammock photos, though we did camp once or twice at shelters with some hammockers. Personally, without the bugs to worry about, I left my hammock at home and slept on big piles of fluffy, dry leaves (and my Exped air mattress). Very comfy and warm to boot.

RainMan

P.S. Five of us left Nashville together, but three hiked the Shenandoah National Park as "Toast" and I hiked the AT in PA.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast