HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling +MSH

Sticky Silnylon Rain Fly

I've got a Hennessy Hyperlite rain fly and the underside of the fly sticks to itself something fierce.
    When I take it out of the snake skins, parts of it are practically glued together and make an awful ripping noise when pulled apart (no damage however). i.e. when I take it out of the snake skins, a lot of it stays bunched up.
    It has always been sticky, but I just put up with it...until I bought a big silnylon Guides Tarp from MEC and realized that the MEC silnylon didn't stick to itself nearly as much...and come to think of it, neither does the silnylon on my Big Agnes ground sleeping thingy.
    I searched the forum with no luck, so I ask you, good peeps of HF, how sticky is too sticky and is there a way to keep my silnylon from sticking together so much?
    (I think I read in the DIY silnylon thread and slipping grip-clips thread that different thicknesses of sil coating can have an effect on the grip/stickiness of the fabric)

DT

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    sounds like seam sealant, maybe. try dusting the underside with baby powder.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've heard of seam-sealing sticking to itself. The venerable Ed Speer recommended talc... (like Rev said)

Though I don't know if your hennessy rain fly is Sil or Poly coated...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    sounds like seam sealant, maybe. try dusting the underside with baby powder.
    ZQ here...somebody correct me if I am wrong....but, I don't think you want to use baby powder because it is made from cornstarch which will attract ants. I think talcum powder (if you can find it) is the powder to use.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    I had the same thing happen to a bathtub floor on a tent I used to own. The Whole floor was tacky as could be. couldn't slide a pad around on it for the life of ya. Only thing I can think is that I used to store all my camping gear (minus bags) in an attic and it would get very very hot. I think the heat can ruin Sil. Any chance your tarp has been stored in high heat?

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by barbermike View Post
    I had the same thing happen to a bathtub floor on a tent I used to own. The Whole floor was tacky as could be. couldn't slide a pad around on it for the life of ya. Only thing I can think is that I used to store all my camping gear (minus bags) in an attic and it would get very very hot. I think the heat can ruin Sil. Any chance your tarp has been stored in high heat?
    Exactly what I was thinking...humidity can affect it too. I think I ruined my 10x12 by leaving it in the carport...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    FWIW...I have a wide variety of silnylons and none of them are sticky. I would be asking Hennessy for a replacement.

I second not using baby powder/cornstarch. Talc is sold to use on tire inner tubes.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling +MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    ZQ here...somebody correct me if I am wrong....but, I don't think you want to use baby powder because it is made from cornstarch which will attract ants. I think talcum powder (if you can find it) is the powder to use.
    Thanks for the talcum powder idea and the warning about cornstarch/baby powder!
    I just knew there would be a wealth of wisdom here in this forum.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling +MSH
    To be clear, the fly in question is a HH Hyperlite silnylon fly, 4+ years old. The whole underside of the rain fly is pretty "rubbery", not just along the seams (if it was seam-sealer). It's not chewing gum or glue sticky to the touch, but the bottom-side of the rain fly has a bad habit of sticking to itself. This causes a lot of fussing and noise--a terrible tearing sound--pulling all the wrinkles out every time it's unpacked. The top-side of the rain fly is smooth and slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking...humidity can affect it too. I think I ruined my 10x12 by leaving it in the carport...
    Sorry to hear about your 10x12, did it stick to itself too?

Quote Originally Posted by barbermike View Post
    I've had a few frustrating nights with slippery pads/floors (I couldn't find a totally level campsite) and I WISH I had your tacky tent floor. I want my
    pad to stay put. It's part of the reason I like the Big Agnes sleep system.

Heat can ruin silnylon? I thought silicone was pretty heat resistant.
    I got the hammock+rain fly used, so I don't know it's exact history, but it was sticky when I got it. I store all of my camping stuff in Rubbermaid bins in the basement, but the tarp has been stored compressed a fair bit. I remember someone saying that the stickiness would wear away with time... That hasn't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    FWIW...I have a wide variety of silnylons and none of them are sticky. I would be asking Hennessy for a replacement.
    If I bought it direct from Hennessy, I would be nagging them, but I bought it from an older couple who had just ended their hiking/camping days. Don't know if they'd honour it.

I'm curious to know if other people have a Hennessy rain fly that sticks to itself.
    Any other solutions? Talc sounds like a temporary solution, is there a more permanent coating? Or is there a way to remove the excess silicone? What does mineral spirits do to silicone once it's cured?

For now, I'm going to give it a dose of talc and see how it turns out.
    I may even make a video of pulling the fly out.
    I is likes them visuals. If a picture is worth a thousand words, and video is 24 frames (pictures) per second, then video is worth 24,000 words per second.

Thanks again to all the kind, helpful and knowledgeable folks here.

DT

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Real sil is slippery, at least in my experience. With any sill tarp I have owned, it stays slick and slippery. Ask anyone who has sewn a sil tarp...it is a wrestling match.

Rubbery feeling fabric is typically poly-urethane coated. Check your vendors specs on what exactly your tarps are made from.

Does one side feel stickier than the other? Sil feels the same on both sides.
    Is there a color difference between the inside and outside? Sil typically has little or no color variation.

EDIT: Heres a link SG's tarp that states the material is PU coated.

EDIT again...HH tarp is also pu coated.
    Last edited by gargoyle; 11-03-2012 at 08:11.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast