Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation View Post
    With regards to searches, I have found that in addition to the search tools available on the forum, I actually get a nice grouping of results from simple google searches. Sometimes I'll get a few results that are grouped under hammockforums, but by clicking the link underneath that says "more results from hammockforums", I'll get even more relevant threads that didn't show up before.
    +1 on that! I don't know why it is, but I have difficulty getting the results I need from the forum search engine (needs me some search engine ejyoocation), but a google search using the keywords I want + hammockforums often tends to do the trick.

I know it gets difficult answering the same questions ad infinitum, but as mentioned earlier, a simple link with a "hope this helps " gets our delicate noobs where they need to go with minimal effort on our part (this coming from a guy who's been on the forum all of 8 months).

I guess this would also be a good time to thank all the people who were able to guide me toward the information I needed when I couldn't find it myself. The science and technology behind hanging is surprisingly daunting, and a less friendly forum would probably have kept me from ever joining in the first place. Again, thank you.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    +1 on that! I don't know why it is, but I have difficulty getting the results I need from the forum search engine (needs me some search engine ejyoocation), but a google search using the keywords I want + hammockforums often tends to do the trick.

I know it gets difficult answering the same questions ad infinitum, but as mentioned earlier, a simple link with a "hope this helps " gets our delicate noobs where they need to go with minimal effort on our part (this coming from a guy who's been on the forum all of 8 months).

I guess this would also be a good time to thank all the people who were able to guide me toward the information I needed when I couldn't find it myself. The science and technology behind hanging is surprisingly daunting, and a less friendly forum would probably have kept me from ever joining in the first place. Again, thank you.
    I do that search when the topic I am looking for is smaller than 4 letters. For example, "Bug net." It does really help me out in my hunt for info!

Fronkey

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    I was afraid people would be "uppety" and "look down" on other campers; at the very least not be "well grounded"
    I love this one!
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    There has been discussion about this before. What I know about communication tells me that most communication is actually done by voice inflection and body language. Least is done with the actual words chosen. Research supports this.

So, we have to be careful with our words, because the body language and voice inflection are not part of the formula. How many times have we been sitting around a fire and somebody says something sarcastic with a smile on their face that taken out of context would have communicated something entirely different? We do it and experience it all the time.

Even though we have the little emoticons, we have limited opportunity to share more than our words, and they are oh so limiting. Gentleness, kindness, and qualifying statements go a long way here. We have done well with each.

Rock on folks, continue the good effort, just know that, at least for me, there is always much to learn, both in content and context. (Note the qualifier of "at least for me." )

+1 on this!!

What some people find offensive others see the sarcastic humor in the same post...just sayin
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancat View Post
    Just a little rant. I apologize but I have to get it off my chest. It always seems like when I find something really cool after a little while the masses find it and it goes to crap. I was a lurker on this forum for some time(started backpacking last year) and when I decided to switch to a hammock and found this forum I was immediately impressed with the generosity, positivity, and general good will in this forum. I have never experienced anything like it in any other forum. I just had to become a donating member. Normally in other forums all I see is a thread started by a newb followed by at least 3 posts calling them an idiot for not using the search function. I hope this isn't a trend, but I have noticed more and more negativity in some of the threads lately. I wish I didn't have to post this in the members only section because 9 times out of 10 if you care enough to donate you care enough not to be a jerk. Thanks for letting me rant. Happy Hanging!
    If you'd use yer search thingy, you'd see that this ... oh wait. Er, never mind.

Seriously how cranky could a bunch of people be when their prime forum focus is hanging in hammocks? This is apt to be one of the most blissed out forums on the internet.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    I've found that one of the great things about forum culture is the constant evolution of who is old and who is new. You get an influx of new people, and they ask neophyte questions. The older people answer them, or reference old threads. Then there's a new influx of noobs, and those that were new become the next line of 'old hats', and the original group of old members shift up even further. That means that when the new crop of first timers ask the same old questions, the folks that were most recently newbies and asked those same questions are right there to answer since they asked for that same info not so long ago. It makes them feel like they can be helpful and contribute, and it alleviates the original folk from having to answer the same old "which hammock is the best?" questions they've seen asked 2000 times. This continues until eventually old time members like Shug, Cannibal, Gargoyle, Hawk-Eye, Doctari, Grizz (to name a few) - they don't even need to worry themselves with answering basic questions unless they want to. And when they do, it makes the new folk feel special that one of the 'revered' folk stepped in to take interest in their post.

when all is said and done, I think this place is pretty awesome, as are the people here. The mods have done a great job keeping any issues that crop up under control. As long as everyone keeps a cool head, and doesn't take things personally, things remain civil.

Thinking back, I'd have to say that most of the tensions I've seen crop up have to do with our cottage gear makers and folks' opinions of them, both good and bad. Everyone has their favorite brands, and there is a sense of fierce loyalty that develops around them. The perceived need to 'defend' them even when no defense is needed often causes problems. As it's been said before, not every piece of gear suits every person, and even the best of our resident harem of awesome vendors occasionally has a hiccup in production or customer service. People want to share their experiences, both good and not so good, and as long as it is done in a respectful and informed fashion then it can be beneficial to everyone - but remember that while we are lucky to have so many of the cottage vendors maintain an actual presence here on the forums, these are not in fact THEIR forums. Even the vendor subforums don't belong to them, but are simply a convenient place to keep posts relating to their products categorized neatly together.

So if you have a problem, concern, or beef directly with a vendor, please consider taking it up with them personally and privately, before posting a thread in their subforum section for all to see. Voicing your displeasure or confusion publicly ≠ private email doing the same, and likely will lead to others chiming in, and eventual problems.

Since I love examples, I'll sum up with a whimsical little chart I've titled: Forum Applicable Reasonable-post Test (patent pending). For the sake of the demonstration I'll be using HammockGear as the subject, since it is widely and generally known that Adam and Jenny are awesome, as is their gear - so no disrespect or slight can be perceived:

Example 1. My new hammock gear quilt is awesome. It is possibly the most amazing thing since the invention of the motor car and indoor plumbing. I can't wait to get out and try it, OMG!

Perhaps a little over the top, but feel free to post away, with no worries

Example 2. Got my new 3 season phoenix last week, and I think it's not really what I was looking for. I tested it at the bottom of the suggested temp ratings, and it didn't quite work for me. Perhaps I'm a cold sleeper. I could supplement with other clothing, but I'm looking for something that will take me to that temp without other gear needed. It's a shame, because the construction is top notch, as was the service I got from Stormcrow and Thorwren. Ah well, guess I'll keep looking.

Reasonably concise, respectful - you're entitled to your opinion so post with impunity, but expect that many others will chime in on how you might be able to make it work. Please, no one get upset or offended that the poster didn't like it. HYOH.

Example 3. I ordered my Summer Burrow last Monday, didn't get a confirmation until the next day , and then it took a week to get to me! What gives? Strike one already. Then I got the quilt and tried it out. It's nothing special, and there is no way that this will keep anyone warm, I guarantee it. If you want to stay warm even to 65˚, look elsewhere. What a waste of money. Should have never trusted a ginger.

This post is NOT OK. It's filled with unreasonable expectations, statement of opinion as fact, and a personal attack on another forum member/vendor. PLEASE do not post this, as it WILL cause problems.

Example 4. I'm so upset. I sent payment for a complete set of custom sized quilts last week, and have yet to hear back from you guys. I've sent you more than a couple emails, and PM's, and still no response. Is it too much to ask that you are there to answer my questions any time I want, since I sent you lots of money? Where are you, Adam???!?

DO NOT POST! This is a private matter between you and the vendor. Posting in the forums will not help you get his attention faster. Try personal email, another PM, or check his website for a number to call. Or perhaps post asking if anyone knows how to get in touch with Stormcrow, but keep the particulars to yourself. If you post this publicly, no good can come of this.

All joking aside, I love this place, and respect the people here. Thanks everyone for making it an awesome place to spend my free time.

requisite disclaimer - I'm just a card carrying member here, not a mod or anyone in charge. Please take everything I've said with a grain of salt, a good dose of sarcasm and good natured humor - in short, not too serious.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    +1 on this!!

What some people find offensive others see the sarcastic humor in the same post...just sayin
    You, brother Ewker, are living testimony to such.

Consistency......
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Since I love examples, I'll sum up with a whimsical little chart I've titled: Forum Applicable Reasonable-post Test (patent pending).
    Love your FART chart!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    You, brother Ewker, are living testimony to such.

Consistency......
    who me
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i have also seen this come up as of late here on HF .... but not nearly as bad as other forums out there.... we have it made here compared to other forums the mods do a great job and keep things on track as best they can for how few there are
    i know i just said something the other day about a thread that was getting off track.. like i tell ppl "think befor you type"

there is nothing wrong with not agreeing with others or having an opinion that different .. it's all in how you present it and how respectful you are to others opinions
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast