DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin96 View Post
    up here you cannot buy it, the only item you can get is horse fly spray ultrashield fly spray when i look at the label it looks exactly the same ingredients as the sawyer brand

only think i don't like is the orange citranella scent

so my questions is can you confirm they are the same for me
    The answer is NO!

Ultrashield contains Pyrethrin, Sawyers is Permethrin.

All the different 'flavours' of Ultrashield are for spraying on animals as a temporary (thing bugspray) insect repellant. None of them are for treating fabrics and the ones I looked at, you wouldn't want the greasy stuff on clothes or hanging gear!!

I'm seriously thinking of doing a weekend cross border shopping trip - the list of what I can't get here or just hate paying the shipping fees for keeps getting longer and longer..

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpath View Post
    So, I bought some of the Tractor Supply concentrate, and the warnings in this thread has me thinking. Maybe I'll just use that for items that will not be in direct contact with my skin, and buy some of the sawyers for clothing and the hammock. On a side note I have noticed headaches after using Deet so I opt for some of the less aggresive plant based skin applications.
    On your side note: DEET is a repellent, noxious to some, damaging for sure to all nylon. The 'thrins are insecticides, all toxic to most 'skeeters, ticks....(and fish....), and seem to have a repellent value to insects as well, as might be expected by those who understand and accept mechanisms of evolution.

Yes, secondary transfer through the skin of some chemicals is real. You only have to listen to the TV adverts for androgen gel (ie T), and the risks to women and children of contact with where a man has applied it.

So, one of the advantages of bug nets that are complete enclosures is that if the netting is treated instead of any part of the hammock, there is no possibility of trans-dermal absorption of the insecticide.

Hammock
    Diy 1.1 DL - Diy 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon,
    Insulation
    SB con to UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    The answer is NO!

Ultrashield contains Pyrethrin, Sawyers is Permethrin.

All the different 'flavours' of Ultrashield are for spraying on animals as a temporary (thing bugspray) insect repellant. None of them are for treating fabrics and the ones I looked at, you wouldn't want the greasy stuff on clothes or hanging gear!!

I'm seriously thinking of doing a weekend cross border shopping trip - the list of what I can't get here or just hate paying the shipping fees for keeps getting longer and longer..
    let me know if you are i'd be interested in some

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I've been using Bonide Bed Bug Killer. Lots of places carry it for $6-7 for 32oz. I'm not sure if a treatment works through as many washings as Sawyers, but it's supposed to work for up to 4 wks.

http://charitonvet.com/store/product...6c909f3855a21a

15 bucks, buy it online now!

Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    During the Hoosier Horse Fair,,one of the largest horse shows in the Midwest,,I ran into a Vet. Booth full of chemicals and stuff for horses,,asked him about a permethrin treatment for hanging and my gear and clothing. He sold me a can of Teckcide 11% treatment they used around horses, on horses, and around all the gear, farm equipment as well as horse equipment and told me not to get it on my hands and use rubber gloves in mixing it. He said the govt. controlled the making of the stuff and so before they watered it down, he bought 30-40 cases of the stuff from the supplier. Sold me a 20 oz can of it for 20 bucks. I mixed it according to the instructions, as it called for 2 table spoons per gal of water, mixes white looking like sawyers, but has a little smell to it, and after letting your gear hang a couple of days no smell left at all. After this weekends hang,,didn't get a tick on me anywhere, or even knew of the skeeters if they were around. Wife the other nite complained of skeeters sitting on the front porch so I lightly sprayed it down and part of the front yard..and not a skeeter anywhere. But this is super potent stuff the vet said. I figure I have about a 2-300 gallons of mixed in this can left that will last me. Check with horse suppliers and see if they have Techcide 11%.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
    That's it,,same can even,,works like a charm. Just a dash smelly, but the smell will disappear in about 3 days. Sounds like Vet didn't know what she was talking about (telling me it was taken off the market). But, I definitely added that site to my favorites to order some more when I use this can up.
    Thx.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin96 View Post
    up here you cannot buy it, ...
    I was just spending some time checking for some.

Amazon.ca has some for sale but the shipping doubles the cost.
    I found a store that sells 1.25% spray for home and gardens around the GTA. Don't know how effective it would be on clothes.
    http://www.urbannaturestore.ca/shop/...0&idcategory=0

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post

I was considering the same thing, maybe a weekend camping but that will likely have to wait until after bug season starts.

If you do go and want to take orders....

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I found this at my local Grocery outlet store. its 2.5% Permethrin Not bad on cost.

Mixed it up in spray bottle.. applied to all my gear. Will Re-apply for this seasons use.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    In the pest control industry we understand this rhetoric and hear it mostly from a few uneducated people, who are more vocal and less understanding at times because they are talking about their feelings. The products are as thoughtfully tested as much as prescription medication, and although we have 100's of products only 4 pest control products have been removed from the market. Look at how much prescription drugs have been removed.

The fear is the solution is worse than the biting insect. Yet the insect will kill 1.6 million people this year, Malaria & Yellow Fever across several continents. Mosquitos kill more human beings on the planet than anything else out there...

At home people bathe & drink, Chlorine a dangerous gas, jump into hot spa's of chemical & anti bacterial soups. People use underarm deodorant, spill gasoline on themselves at the pump, Use common soap in the shower, or smoke cigarettes, or drink Alcohol - all of which carry FDA "Warning" label. What we are discussing in this thread about SYNTHETIC PYRETHROIDS carries a "Caution" Label....

People that used DDT are very much alive today and only suffered thinning hair...

I can't agree more. The risk of disease from insects far out weights the risk of temporay exposure. From my research permethrin might be the safest approach whatever source it comes from.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Thanks Arron, I was a little worried about the post as there are some here that get weird when it comes to chemicals, because they really don't teach it anymore in Public School like they used to.

The earlier posts about the military soak was a big issue with me as your sweat will re-wet the product and due to capillary action will draw the product into the skin, and the result is an itch that keeps on giving for a week or two. Sawyer is a spray you apply it to the outside of the garment or hammock - thus reducing the contact with the skin... make sure you are using a good face /valve mask and gloves when it is in liquid form.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast