Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I'll echo Jeff and Billy. You don't need an underquilt, but you will need something. Your WBBB with a double layer is quite adept at utilizing pads. The Prolite and a cheap blue pad will likely be adequate for you.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I was toasty warm on a pad in my hammock down to just below freezing. I just had to deal with shifting of the pad and cold arms when I touched the sides of the hammock. My hammock is more narrow and you've got a pocket to put the pad in so you should be just fine with what you've got. I ended up putting extra clothes under my arms and that worked out just fine. I now use an UQ and I like it much better. But until I made it, I used the pad. Use what you've got until you've got the time to get an UQ made for you. And please, don't even think of having to go to ground... that's sort of taboo around here and the thought of it tends to give me nightmares.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl , WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I was toasty warm on a pad in my hammock down to just below freezing. I just had to deal with shifting of the pad and cold arms when I touched the sides of the hammock. My hammock is more narrow and you've got a pocket to put the pad in so you should be just fine with what you've got. I ended up putting extra clothes under my arms and that worked out just fine. I now use an UQ and I like it much better. But until I made it, I used the pad. Use what you've got until you've got the time to get an UQ made for you. And please, don't even think of having to go to ground... that's sort of taboo around here and the thought of it tends to give me nightmares.
    TinaLouise
    Ok! I promise I will never say the tent word again... Thanks for the info!

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    I will also chime in and say you should be just fine with a Thermarest down to the mid-50's. I've taken my Thermarest to the upper 30's, with a 30* sleeping bag. (Wearing fleece, with a poncho liner....) But- don't think you need an UQ, slip that pad between the layers of your Blackbird if you can't get to the quilt shop in time!

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Backtrack, any word from your trip? I'd like to hear how it went....
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl , WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Backtrack, any word from your trip? I'd like to hear how it went....
    The trip went well, thanks for asking. It was a hard section of the AT but we followed through. My first time sleeping in a hammock was gear changing. It will be hard for me to hit the ground again. My good friend let me borrow a Yeti UQ and it worked well. The low temp on Sat. was more like 46F. Glad I had an UQ! Ready to hit the trail soon.......

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images

lamilite for UQ?

Has anyone tried using a modified Wiggy's bag for a UQ? It seems everyone wants to use down but that stuff loses loft so fast and it does not take well to storing under compression, and pray you don't get it wet. Just a thought as I have a 0 degree Wiggy's bag that keeps me toasty warm when sleeping on a mat on the ground. Don't know how effective it would be as an UQ but I have had horrible experiences with down it the past and swore I would never use the stuff again.

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie

gear changing

I recently changed after finding this forum. After I woke up in the Adirondacks all wet on a pad I cut up an old sleeping bag (synthetic north face 20*) and made a UQ. I also used the bags zipper for top entry in my HH Eped Asym. It works great but a little heavier than down but didn't cost me anything.

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by ShroominDave View Post
    Has anyone tried using a modified Wiggy's bag for a UQ? It seems everyone wants to use down but that stuff loses loft so fast and it does not take well to storing under compression, and pray you don't get it wet. Just a thought as I have a 0 degree Wiggy's bag that keeps me toasty warm when sleeping on a mat on the ground. Don't know how effective it would be as an UQ but I have had horrible experiences with down it the past and swore I would never use the stuff again.
    My 20* north face UQ (old sleeping bag with polar gaurd 3d) has treated me well into the teens. Had and inch of ice in The cook pot in the morning.. 1st week in april on oswegotchie river in Adirondacks. On top used a big Agnes 30*. I am a very warm sleeper though

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12