Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

My Tarp Questions

Sorry to hound you guys with all my questions, but you seem to be always spot on and steer me in the right direction.

Here is my tarp set up.

Ridgline

Continuous Ridgeline: ~20-25' , using the $10 50' line being sold by a member here

For the next part, I was planning on picking up that 4-pack of lightweight figure 9s. They come with some spare guy line and appear to be nice and lightweight. Good price too!

Tarp Attachment Points: Two prussik knots using the "sheath" of paracord. This seems to grip well from what others have been saying and I've tested it a bit myself - a "mini figure 9" on each.

Fix Tree Attachment: mini figure 9 tied to the end, easy loop around the tree and "bite" onto ridgeline

Adjust End: "plain" end with an extra figure 9 on a prussik. Same way Shug instructs in his video.

The Tarp

I am making a DIY silnylon 8x5, I plan on hanging it asym. It is for backpacking so it will be light and small. In the future I will probably upgrade to something bigger.

Each tab I plan to put a loop of shock cord on to allow the tarp to "give" slightly in the wind and prevent rippage.

Stakes: Bought 4 Titanium stakes from a board member! Great deal.

Let me know what you guys think. Once I have this squared away I should be able to hang.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    All that sounds pretty good. Don't know what that 50' for $10 line is, but if it's anything like Lash-It or Zing-It, then you'll be just fine. I would consider passing on that 4-pk of 9's and just go to a local outfitter where they'll sell you just one, and use some of that other line you have for guylines. Or consider getting some Zing-It. That rope that comes with that 4pk is ok, but it's definitely not as lightweight as it could be. Good luck.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    8x5 will be a bit short, ridgeline only 9'. 10x5 would be better. Check
    http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/proje...m/tutorial.php
    for tutorial for an asyn tarp with an 11' ridgeline and offset wings to match the way you lie diagonally.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by griesl View Post
    All that sounds pretty good. Don't know what that 50' for $10 line is, but if it's anything like Lash-It or Zing-It, then you'll be just fine. I would consider passing on that 4-pk of 9's and just go to a local outfitter where they'll sell you just one, and use some of that other line you have for guylines. Or consider getting some Zing-It. That rope that comes with that 4pk is ok, but it's definitely not as lightweight as it could be. Good luck.
    Ya I was just looking for something to attach the tarp.

Might be better off with S biners anyway. I was sort of also thinking of putting a Fig 8 loop at one end of the line and passing it through that around the tree. On the other end, I was just going to use a siberian hitch knot. Quick, easy, adjustable, and speedy take down.

As for the tarp, I have 3 yds of 5' wide Silnylon. If I use it all for a tarp, I can have a 9x5 tarp with a 10' ridgeline. Is that more suitable? I just thought 8x5 was a more standard size.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post

Tarp Attachment Points: Two prussik knots using the "sheath" of paracord. This seems to grip well from what others have been saying and I've tested it a bit myself - a "mini figure 9" on each.
    You might want to try just a mini "s" biner from the two prussiks to the tarp itself. You don't really need the ability to tighten them much, and the biners seem a lot easier than figure 9's there. Just a thought. Also, maybe replace the fixed tree end with a knot bone for similar reasons. I copied my set up from whoopieslings.com continuous ridgeline and it works great.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Placed some tape on my floor to get a visual for the tarp dimensions.

At 8x5 my hammock lying flat is about the length of the diagonal. Most likely with the hanging angle it would sit under the tarp. However, it could be close.

Conversely, with the 9x5 set up there is ample coverage of the flat hammock. There is even a few inches on either side in excess. This means that the tarp would definitely cover lengthwise. Looks like this is what to do. Also the flaps on either size look generous to get decent side coverage. In porch mode, they would provide adequate cook area.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've used the Roy Robinson Poncho/Tarp Tent (8' x 5') over my hammock, and it gives adequate coverage. The bungee loops are a good idea. You don't really need hardware to attach the tarp to the prussics, so one figure 9 for the ridgeline ought to do you. Some day you'll probably want a bigger tarp, but this is a good startup solution, and it packs small. It will teach you to pay attention to wind direction and weather patterns, as well as landforms and protective vegetation. You'll be an ace at campsite selection.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I've used the Roy Robinson Poncho/Tarp Tent (8' x 5') over my hammock, and it gives adequate coverage. The bungee loops are a good idea. You don't really need hardware to attach the tarp to the prussics, so one figure 9 for the ridgeline ought to do you. Some day you'll probably want a bigger tarp, but this is a good startup solution, and it packs small. It will teach you to pay attention to wind direction and weather patterns, as well as landforms and protective vegetation. You'll be an ace at campsite selection.
    Awesome.

How do you attach a tarp to a prussik without hardware?
    Edit: I see. You can make a prussic with a nice knot. Then, take the loop end of the chock cord and pass it through loop hanging off the prussic and around the big knot to lock it into place. Mmmmm quite crafty.

Also, would you recommend a 8x5 over a 9x5? I guess certain dimensions work better than others.

In addition, I need to find a place that sells shock cord by the length.
    Last edited by ljcsov; 08-08-2011 at 09:28.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    Awesome.

How do you attach a tarp to a prussik without hardware?

Also, would you recommend a 8x5 over a 9x5? I guess certain dimensions work better than others.

In addition, I need to find a place that sells shock cord by the length.
    The loop of cordage used to make the prussik is tied to your tarp with an overhand knot. So, you tie a piece of cordage into a loop using an overhand knot, tie it to the ridgeline with a prussik, then untie the overhand knot and retie it to the tarp. This is the easiest way I have found to "permanently" attach the tarp to the ridgeline via prussiks.

Many of the cottage companies on HF sell shock cord by the foot.

DIY Gear Supply is where I've gotten mine.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    9' x 5' finished size would give you a 10' 3" ridgeline. If you're not using it as a poncho also, you might as well go with the longer tarp. The other thing I consider is the location of the other corners. If they line up with the right knee and left shoulder tie-out points of your hammock (if any), you can tie to the corner of the tarp (with bungee protection) and use a single stake.

Another way to attach the prussic to the bungee loop is to put the prussic on your ridgeline and then make the bungee loop with a fisherman's knot after you pass one end through the prussic loop.

• + New Posts